Anybody watch Occupied on Netflix?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nopedals, Mar 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident Thread Starter

Norwegian TV series about Russians conniving with EU to take over the Norway oil industry. I know, kind of a stretch, but very entertaining. Some good performances, especially the (smoking hot) Russian ambassador. It's a mix of English, Norwegian, and Russian, with subtitles for the non-English parts.

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

How is it available to watch (channel, network, service)? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Started watching it, but have only gotten through a couple eps so far. The premise is interesting, but it hasn't pulled me in yet.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Netflix, Netflix, Netflix ;)

townsend likes this.
  5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Wow. This is really good. My wife and I just started it, found the first episode promising, and are hooked after the second episode. It seems to have just the right balance of underlying tension and suspense to sustain a viewer's interest.

P.S. You can stream it on Netflix, if you have that service.

6. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

It's pretty good, a bit slick for my taste, but I enjoyed the first season. I think I first heard about it in another thread here about Norwegian series?

In any case the subject of occupation is an interesting one. Collaborate or resist? An even better treatment of this subject is the series A French Village, about the impact of the German occupation on the inhabitants of a small town in France during WWII.

BobbyG likes this.
  7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thanks for the tip on A French Village.

Along the same lines, check out "Island at War". It is the story about the German occupation during WW2 of the Channel Islands, located in the English channel off the French coast of Normandy: Island at War (TV Mini-Series 2004– ) - IMDb

Many years ago, in a galaxy far far away, this was broadcast on PBS. I remember four episodes, and it was excellent.

8. Luckless Pedestrian

Interesting, I did not know the Germans occupied any British land during the war, nor that they had created concentration camps there as well!

- Back to Occupied, looks like season 2 is going to be broadcast in Norway in the fall of 2017.

townsend likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

With a similar theme is a Brit mini-series SS-GB - Germany is occupying England having just won WWII - to resist or to collaborate, set in the style of a noir police detective drama.
    SS-GB (TV Mini-Series 2017– ) - IMDb

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife and I have finished episode 8 of the first season. We have enjoyed it and find it entertaining. One thing for certain, those screenwriters must be on speed. It is a very busy plot, with all hell breaking loose both on the national scale (Norway) and the personal scale (relationships of major characters). Every episodes ends with a major plot development, and a lot takes place throughout each episode.

Everybody is soooo good looking. The journalist's wife is gorgeous, a better looking version of Kathleen Turner in her prime. The prime minister has a drop dead gorgeous wife (Astrid), also an extremely attractive assistant (Anita, who he happens to sleep with). There is a red-headed female (Ingrid) in the security services who is very attractive. All the adolescents in the series look like young models out of an Abercrombie & Fitch commercial. Probably true to Norway, I don't recall seeing any character who is really fat. No wonder Norway consistently ranks as one of the happiest country -- everybody is soooo good looking.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just finished season one of this. Kind of like Homeland - great production values, intriguing characters/plotlines, good acting - just prepare to tolerate some incredulous (ridiculous?) elements.

I’m game for season two.

12. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I wonder when -- or even if -- season two will be available on Netflix. I'm game for it as well.

13. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Finished season two last night, very good, it’s a long time since I watched season one but I think the second season might be better than the first :thumbsup:

14. Luckless Pedestrian

I watched S2 on Netflix US a few weeks ago, should still be there.

I thought S2 was a slow start but got a bit better over time.

townsend likes this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.