Anyone collect Fillmore Posters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can watch the clip at the bottom of the website. Looks like it's the whole poster segment.

JRM likes this.
  3. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Just finding this thread, I'm pleased to say that my Fillmore collection will start when I receive the Fillmore: The Last Days LP box set I found on ebay. It is complete with a ticket and a poster for the last days of concerts that came with the LPs originally.

Definitely not as glamorous as ones I really want, but it's a start! I've seen some on ebay that I may try for, some that are more reasonably priced.

jamesmaya and JRM like this.
  4. Any collectors know of really good archival storage binders and pages for the handbills? If you collect, I'd love to see photos.

I'm in the process of carefully removing about 120 plus handbills from a 4o year old binder. Some are stuck on the corners so I have to remove them very carefully. I still want to preserve them for viewing.

Ideally I want to do a full framing wall of all or most of them. Like a grid.

[​IMG]

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

These are sleeves, but there are other archival solutions on their site. Good enough for libraries, good enough for these

Large Storage Bags

6. Thanks. I think I found a heavier top loader 5x7 sleeve. Archival and won't cause discoloration.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love the effect about the lion and the human faces all merged in one picture. Great poster!

Mazzy likes this.
  8. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I recently decided to start framing my posters. I've been turned off in the past by the high cost of professional matting and framing, so I ordered some frames online for under $50 each, got some mat boards for around $10 each and bought a mat cutter for almost $100. After two posters I figure I've recouped my investment. And I'm convinced that I got better results than if I had had them "professionally" done, as I have the time to check and re-check my measurements, math and cuts. The guys at Michaels, Aaron Brothers, etc. don't have that luxury.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the reflections at the edges of the posters, I tried to minimize them as much as possible.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Looks like a nice job. I like that you included the ticket stub below. Nice touch and a good idea. Makes it feel more personal now.

Definitely saved yourself some cash doing it on your own and that matte cutter was a good idea. It'll make the difference big time vs just a ruler and knife job. :) Matting can really add to the cost of the job as well.

I wouldn't consider Michael's (not familiar with the other name you mentioned) as a proper professional framing place. No offence to them as I know people who have had stuff framed there. Not that cheap but they did a decent job. But, like you , with the proper equipment e.g. matte cutter, you could do just as good as a job.

For anything of value money or sentimental wise, I use a local framing shop that always do an amazing job. Many of my frame able items are not standard size or are artworks that need to be treated and framed properly so I only trust them with professionals. They'll also make sure I get UV protection glass.

That's one thing I would suggest for you. Off the shelf frames like that probably don't have UV protection glass, so if that is a concern for your posters I;d look at getting some and replacing what you have. If you aren't worried about fading then it's fine. I have plenty in regular glass as well. But it's worth getting conservation glass for those special items. The best is this museum glass I've seen. It's virtually reflection free. Incredible when you see it side by side with other conservation glass. But it's very expensive so if you have a valuable artwork it's worth it. Something else, not so much. But it is beautiful.

Mr Mojo Risin likes this.
  10. I'll add use UV plex not glass. Maybe because I'm from San Francisco (earthquake country) but if the glass shatters it can damage original artwork that is hard to replace. Plex won't cut into art

eddiel likes this.
  11. A few pages from my binder of Fillmore, Avalon and Family Dog handbills i put together in the 70s. Will be archiving them in separate sleeves soon.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Advertisement [un-solicited]:

SF [San Francisco] Rock Posters ~
    Rock Posters

Friendly [especially Grant/not far from Grant St./Grant & Green sign is the avatar of SHMF's Grant], knowledgeable, fair, & stocked from the basement up to the ceiling!

If your in SF CA US, stop by, fantastic to see this stuff up close & personal [like "The Seed"]. In North Beach [real shame that Tower Records is no longer a few blocks up]; plenty of great restaurants, cafes, gelato shops, bakeries, brew pubs, & bars in the area.
    Call 1st tho; not always open during supposed store hours.

Will buy too!!

Enjoy.

13. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

If anyone stops at Twist and Shout records in Denver make sure to take a look at the walls. Amazing posters and prints. Lady at the counter said they are the owner's private collection.

Cassius likes this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I wish I hadn't seen this thread because I ended up at 1am looking at posters at Wolfgang's Vault which got me thinking of Rick Griffin (who I'd met shortly before his death) which then got me thinking of Zap comix which then got me thinking of S. Clay Wilson and while it's the last thing in the world I needed I ended up buying a signed and numbered limited edition of his artwork on eBay.
    Must remind myself not to do these things when I'm half asleep!

Psychsound, SinnerSaint and Mazzy like this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Looks great Mazzy. LOL

eddiel likes this.
  16. Note:::

Hey everyone one. I have a questions, specifically about Photobucket which I have been using for over 8 years to post images here and on other forums. Today several of my images are blocked and photobucket says I cannot post to third party sites like this one unless I upgrade to $400 a year ??? HUH

Anyone else get this? I noticed some of my images over on the Fillmore poster thread being blocked. Some are others are not...

Anyone else??

WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
    PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*

[​IMG]
    TO RESTORE YOUR 3RD PARTY HOSTED IMAGES,
    PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Not a clue, but I certainly wouldn't pay it.

18. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

SinnerSaint likes this.
  19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

They just implemented this change this week. As you'd expect, users are not pleased. Time to find another hosting service.

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

An older friend of mine who grew up in New York has a box of Fillmore programs from the concerts she went to there, some of the line ups she saw were amazing. She's still got her Woodstock ticket too.

RiRiIII and eddiel like this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I suggest switching to Imgur, they have no bandwidth limitations. I left Photobucket years ago when it turned into an ad bloated mess. When you insert an image into a post/website it uses bandwidth when people view it, the free account must have a limitation before they restrict your account.

23. thanks I switched to Post Image for now. .

24. I got all the handbills out of the binder. All the fronts are close to perfect but some of the backs have black paper stuck from the binder pages

Got them in sleeves and I never realized I had more Family Dog Avalon handbills than Fillmore.

[​IMG] .

Psychsound, gd0, eddiel and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.