Anyone else pumped for the new COSMOS series with Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sgtmono, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member Thread Starter

It premiers this Sunday on Fox. Not exactly a remake of the Carl Sagan series, but more like a sequel. It looks very promising.

I was quite surprised to learn of Seth McFarlane's involvement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos_(2014)

Anyone else tuning in to give this a look?

JimC, supermd, benjaminhuf and 3 others like this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'll probably tune in. Tyson is an unusually charismatic fellow for a scientist :)

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I'll watch it.

jerol

4. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I'll wait for the dvd's on Netflix

5. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Yes I will watch it, I like Neil and the show looks interesting.

6. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I'm in but I would love to see watch this series in HD greater than 720p. Might have to watch the Fox broadcast from over the air antennae.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

8. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Part of the problem is while Cosmos was great and ground breaking for it's time. It existed in a vacuum. Now these topics have been covered ad nauseum by various cable outlets so I'm not sure how well they will be able to make it all fresh.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I think Fox broadcasts at 720p OTA as well.

AKA likes this.
  10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Sagan was so great because he didn't pull any punches about denouncing superstition, along with telling us that we needed to act now to protect the environment. I hope the new version is as forthright.

supermd likes this.
  11. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm an astronomy geek and am looking forward to this show!

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Definitely. Looks awesome. Tyson is cool. The trailer was terrific. The topic is fascinating. So I'm very much looking forward to it -- might be the first time I watch a broadcast television program in years (though I'd much rather stream it at my leisure, if that's an option online).

13. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member Thread Starter

That's a good point. But it looks like there's an effort to make this series a real visual spectacle and to capture the sense of wonder and awe conveyed in the original series. An almost cinematic approach that involves more storytelling and exploring than simple explanation. The typical Discovery channel show covering these topics follows such a bland template of talking heads and bargain-basement CGI. I think this could be a cut above. It's a bummer we'll have to endure commercials, but it's very cool something like this is on primetime network TV.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

One of the channels I think it was the Science channel a few years ago did a few amazing sets of shows with really great CGI visuals.

There are two things I loved about the original cosmos as since I first watched it with my father during it's original run.

First is it was just so informative and Sagan just even though he was awkward and had an odd voice just made everything fascinating and magical.

The second was the amazing and inventive 1970's tv graphics and effects. When they updated the show about 10 years ago and replaced all the graphics the show was IMHO unwatchable, the magic was gone for me.

I love Tyson, just feel like it's too much been there done that at this point.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Like I said I'm cautiously optimistic trying not to get expectations too high. I'm sure the show will be quality and great, just not sure if it will come anywhere near filling the shows they are trying to fill.

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I've been looking forward to it for months. And since it will be airing in Family Guy's timeslot, I hope it will get some young people interested in science.

Kuzronk and sgtmono like this.
  17. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Looking forward to it. I just hope they don't "dumb" it down too much.

Kuzronk likes this.
  18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It is on Fox...

I think I read PBS passed on it, sadly. A show like this seems best when watched uninterrupted by commercials.

Really funny that this is the same channel that once broadcast a primetime special promoting moon landing conspiracy theories.

Kuzronk and JimC like this.
  19. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

I'm in. I just barely remember the original series - was very young when it originally aired.

If you have the National Geographic Channel, all episodes of the original Cosmos will be on this weekend (DVR alert).

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Wonder if they will actually be the originals or the "improved and updated" CGI version.

21. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

Hmm - I didn't know they were updated. My DVR have the original air dates from 1980.

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

About 10 years ago one of the cable channels replaced all the 70's animation with CGI. I couldn't watch them.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

24. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Oh and they edited if for time

25. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

I would imagine it's this newer version then, since it's on NatGeo HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.