Anyone else that rarely listens to Roxy Music's Avalon anymore?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Personally, I love AVALON, but I know plenty of folks who don't like it.

I don't play it much because I worked at a record store in 1982, when AVALON was released, and we played it there non-stop, it seems. Twenty-eight years later and I find it's still too played out for me. I should pop the SACD in one of these days.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Although a big Roxy fan in the Seventies, Avalon's the only Roxy album I own now. (For the anoraks: my CD's a "target".) Timeless, I believe someone said earlier. That said, it's a "mood" album; best enjoyed on rainy evenings in-city, viewing the reflections of neon on pavement...

Yes, it's an album for pretentious arty bastards like me. :D

lightbulb likes this.
  3. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Roxy Music

"Ferry always sounded loungy and shmaltzy. Isn't that his hook?"

++++++++++++++++++++

You're right. Brian Ferry always cultivated a sort of sophisticated, lounge image. He wasn't going for the rowdy, bad boy rocker image like Ozzy or hotel trashing thing.

I prefer the early Roxy Music albums from For Your Pleasure through Siren and to a lesser extent, Manifesto, Flesh + Blood and finally Avalaon. I am less keen on BF's solo material but even those are listenable for me. I consider Avalon to be a classic album that works for me from start to finish.

Scott

Gardo likes this.
  4. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I've never been able to get thru Avalon. Boringsville.

I prefer the first 4 albums and the occasional spin of Manifesto.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

For me, the best Roxy period began, post-Eno, with Stranded and ended with Siren (which is when the band went on temporary hiatus).

Oddly enough, Stranded is Eno's favourite RM album.

6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I'm not surprised . . Amazon has a new copy going for $350 bucks!

7. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Thank you for the information.:righton:

Even with that knowledge, when I listen, 'Always Unknowing' will no more register as a B side than Avalon would as the first track on The Best of Roxy Music collection.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Avalon was a good album given the times - but today (for me) the early-mid 80's is a bit of a drag....and its too associated with that period. Brightly colored plastic music, plastic production, plastic clothing, plastic cars, and so on. Nevertheless I can listen to snippets of Avalon and hear what a good album it was.

Gimme the early-mid 70's Roxy anytime. Its still fresh.

Ludger likes this.
  9. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Avalon is great.Like a fine wine..

Gardo likes this.
  10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree that is Bryan Ferry's hook to some extent but he just over hams it on Avalon.

11. Rose River Bear

Thanks to the unknown Gort that fixed my thread title. I will try to be a good boy in the future.:cheers:

12. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I got a copy in the closet that I've never played :hide:

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I like playing it in the car. Actually only played it in the house once. Can't figure that one out? More Than This was used in a TV commercial some years back in the UK and in the US recently.

14. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I still listen to it. It's one of my favorite albums from 80's and I still turn it up at the beginning of "More Than This"

Gardo likes this.
  15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I listen to it about once a month - great background mood music, and definitely music for lovers!

16. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love Roxy Music throughout their career - Eno, Post Eno, Hubbard etc...

And Avalon is my favorite RM album by a long shot - Viva comes in second.

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ironically, Avalon is the only Roxy album I own and I bought it for the first time about two years ago.

I really like it. It is strangely one of the few albums from 1982 (the year I graduated high school) that I find has nostalgic appeal. Strange because it's the kind of 80's music that I completely loathed at the time it was released.

I'm sure it's not the best Roxy album, and Roxy Music is an avenue I've not much traveled, but I do think it's a lovely album and I enjoy it.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'd love to remix Avalon to lose some of that over the top squash-ness of the final signal and the "trademark" production sound. One of my favorite albums. I want it to sound like I heard them do it at the Universal Amphitheater back in the day. Very dynamic, unlike the released record.

Jack_Straw, Gardo, Dino and 1 other person like this.
  19. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I have loved this album since I first heard a cassette version many, many years ago.

I especially like the 5.1 mix.

20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I love the album. The atmosphere it creates is shimmering and smooth. Maybe it's a little too slick for some people's taste, but if Roxy set out to make a "mood" piece,then they succeeded. I also think that Avalon was the blueprint for the majority of Bryan's solo output after the breakup.

Gardo likes this.
  21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

My only complaint about it is, "Slave To Love" isn't on it.

22. I enjoy and play Ferry's "Boys and Girls" more often than "Avalon" and for me, the first 5 Roxy albums are where its at ... :cool:

23. Rose River Bear

I find it hard to believe that Bryan Ferry could have listened to his vocal playback with a straight face. Andy Mackay saves the album somewhat. :cheers:

24. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I was going to compare it to having a great hamburger with thick cheddar cheese on top, but like your description better. Yes, it's way slick, but sometimes that's just what 's needed.

I've got this poster rolled up behind the tv. Maybe it's about time I had it framed and put it up huh?

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.