Anyone else think 'My Wife' is the best Who song ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

It's one of my 2 or 3 favorites on "Who's Next."

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But preferring to hear a song because others have been overplayed isn't the same as the song being BETTER than the overplayed song.

When I see Springsteen, I'd much rather hear "Mary Queen of Arkansas" instead of "Born to Run", but that doesn't mean I think it's a superior song...

3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

It beats the heck of "Going Mobile", too.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Not even close

5. Oatsdad

I think "Mobile" is an okay song, but it's probably the weakest one on the album, if just for the "beep beep" parts! :help:

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

I like it too. I think it is a clever and catchy song.

Agree Keith is really good on this track too. Check him out for the first 40 and then at about 1:12 he plays something unexpected. and then again from 2:05 on. Through it all, :)

When the vocals come in though, after the instrumental break, they seem noticeably louder than the previous vocals, which is a little distracting to me.

Like the horns, always thought they 'sounded' kind of lo fi and part of a TV show theme.

This song was fantastic in concert also.

The remix and remaster seems thinner and brighter, or something. Doesn't sound as good to me, though the outro is longer.

Onstage MW, Heaven and Hell, and The Quiet One, feature some of The Who's most jamming playing, imo.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Again, that can sometimes come down to personal opinion. There are a lot of overplayed songs that I liked at one time, but got so sick of over the years from over-exposure that not only did I start preferring to hear other songs instead, but I now consider some of those others to be better songs overall. That's just me, though. :p

8. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

It's a good song, but it's not even my favorite Entwistle song. I prefer Whiskey Man or Boris the Spider.

9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

Probably got the idea from Mungo.......lol

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The best thing about the song is the guitar, just a great groove. Come to think of it, I like the guitar player!

11. Oatsdad

Well, I agree it's impossible to be objective, so of course it comes down to personal opinion. I just think it's hard to separate being really sick of a song from its inherent qualities.

Like I alluded, I'd be happy to never hear "Born to Run" again, but that doesn't negate its quality. Is it possible I might "objectively" think some other not-sick-of songs are superior? Maybe, but I try to separate being sick of something from it being "bad" - and I also don't think that a rarity is "good" because I've not heard it as much.

If I ever genuinely believe "Mary Queen of Arkansas" is a better song than "BTR", just lock me in a rubber room! :D

12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Who's Next is hugely over-rated here. My Wife is one of the best tracks, along with Baba, Bargain, Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again. It is better than the other 4 Townshend songs. In the top 20 Who songs? Possibly.

13. Not the best song, but maybe the best horns.

MikaelaArsenault and Sneaky Pete like this.
  14. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

"My Wife" is my least favorite song on Who's Next.

Jet Age Eric and DrBeatle like this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

The lyrics make me smile - I always wonder how serious he was, here? On the 30 Years Of Maximum R & B VHS/DVD, there's a clip from about 1967 where he's being interviews and mentions he wrote Boris, due to personal experience. Makes me think! ;)

I'm not sure.... I think I like it better live as they tended to play it a little faster (on the video I've mentioned... 1979 concert clip and other places, anyway) but the band are very tight here, on the Who's Next version and the horns at the end, as has already been said add a great deal to it. I wonder does it even fit on Who's Next? But then does Going Mobile and others that I love? I't probably more of a varied album than I often take it for - so it must be fine then!

Not a favourite Who song, but one of my favorite of John's and lines like 'Gonna buy a tank and an aeroplane...' can't fail to amuse me. :D

lightbulb likes this.
  16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I like My Wife - it's definitely a good song, but in my opinion not the best Who song, the best song on Who's Next nor the best Who song by John Entwistle. It is the best John Entwistle song on Who's Next, though.

Jet Age Eric and DrBeatle like this.
  17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Same here. It's a great song but far from the best Who song ever and it sticks out like a sore thumb on WN not only because it wasn't a Lifehouse leftover but the production is muddy snd sounds unlike every other song on the album.

jpmosu likes this.
  18. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

The best Who song(s) isn't even on Who's Next.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  19. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

"My Wife" is an average John Entwistle song,and therefore(!) a below average Who song by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

20. davers

davers Forum Resident

I think both My Wife and The Quiet One are great tracks that add humor and variety to their respective albums. Similar to what Boris The Spider did prior.

J_D__ and OneStepBeyond like this.
  21. One of the best tracks from the album. Only marred by JE's terrible diction ("Wa-wa's in jeopardy...") or poor microphone set-up...

When I was a kid I turned a friend on to it. I remember him sitting there pensively over the record player, smoking his pipe (the regular tobacco stuff, at 16 or 17 of age), and observing how that song reminded him somehow of the Beatles...

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Impossible to tell which one is the best Who's (or anyone's) song ever. But "My Wife" is one of my favorites, that I can tell you for sure.

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Me either.

24. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I love my wife (love the song too)!

My be my fave Who tune.

25. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I love my wife (love the song too)!

My be my fave Who tune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.