Anyone ever attempt an all-tube surround system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I read that Jim Fosgate (inventor of Dolby Prologic II) has an all tube 5.1 system in his home. Has anyone here ever attempted a similar setup?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have. 3 Dynaco units and a passive sub. Not entirely worth it. The sound for 5.1 and HT is much easier to listen to on SS, IMHO.

Stereo and mono analog, tube is the best way for almost anything at all.

3. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Interesting, Sckott -- why, in your opinion, is surround sound/Home Theater "easier" with solid state equipment? I have never had a surround system, and am a tubed listener except for my TV which has (horrors) stereo run through a cheap Onkyo receiver...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep. Imagine, 14 EL34's burning bright into any 2-3 hour listening period. Might as well roast marshmellows! Actually, it did sound good, but iMHO, HT is best with a really powerful SS amp system. I use two 300w Haflers with a simple 60w center amp for the center channel, then the sub is powered.

Tube audio is best served up as simple as possible. If you want to be neurotic about matching tubes, amps, speakers - that's fine, but it's tough to do. Now, think of doing it between 3 stereo amps, or 6 monoblocks.

Watching HT or listening to 5.1 audio should be fun, but it's never been an accurate listening experience because of the sonic picture it paints. Tubes are not going to help anyone get closer to the sound, when it's all over the place. Soundstage in HT is best when you have things matched with a semi-fast action. You can do this more accurately with SS, IMHO and easier too.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I disagree, Sckott. Tubes are worthwhile in a home theater. I use my Avatar to handle the L/R front speakers in 5.1 (heck, I'm using it at the moment to hear tv). I use a YBA/Audio Refinement 3 channel amp for my center and rear speakers and it integrates very well (YBA is notorious for a tube-ish sound). If VAC designed a three channel amp to complement the Avatar, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I'm not sure you guys are really disagreeing w/ Sckott. It sounds to me like GregM doesn't have an all around matched tube system. Me thinks Sckott is addressing the degree of difficulty in getting all tube amps, tube pre's, and the tubes themselves to match up well like most of us demand of our 2 channel tube system. It's time consuming and expensive and it appears to me that Sckott is strictly saying he doesn't think it's worth the trouble NOT that he doesn't think it would sound good.

Just Another View,
    Jeffrey :)

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Waaaay back in the '70's a friend of mine decided to build a tube powered Quad system based on Mac separates. (With the exception of the SQ and CD-4 processors). The sound from his system was totally amazing. I haven't heard a modern surround system based on tubes, but if it is done correctly it should sound great (I just hope you have lots of money!).:)

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And a really good air conditioner.

9. BenH

BenH New Member

And no cats.

10. danstone

danstone Senior Member

11. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

If the tubes (valves) are open and cast light into the room then this can throw a spanner into the video side of a HT setup :agree;

All the best - Andrew

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Or live in Canada.

:D

Gary

Seriously, it's pretty hot here these days.

Just last week someone thought he heard some ice cracking.... in his rum and coke! :D :D :D

I'm thinking of going SS for my TV / DVD-A room.

13. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

I was intrigued by the idea of an all-tube system. With my current setup, though, I am trying to make do. I have a question:

I have the Sony HT surround system with DVD/A. I also have an SACD player, tube preamp and power amp in a separate (2 speaker) stereo setup. Is it possible to set everything up together so I can run the SACD player through the tube pre-/power amp setup and use the 5.1 speakers from the Sony system. I would actually replace the 5.1 L/R speakers with my Vandersteens and use the remaining Sony speakers for the others. This would allow me to have the best sound for non-SACD music. What is the order in setting this up? It's got me a little confused! Maybe there is a website with FAQ's on this topice?

14. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

I've heard a couple.

One with Mac amps, and one with, I think, Audio Research.

A properly Bass Managed speaker system can shine with tube amps, since the amps are relieved of their hardest work. These systems to me were very warm, but with soft dynamics. The front ends were similar high-end American processor/preamps. The speakers were M&Ks.

Although that Fosgate processor looks interesting, If I had that money, on balance I would choose a SS path for consistency in playback from all sources.

OK, is the light output from an EL84 6500K?

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

heat

>>>>>I'm Screaming....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.