Anyone heard a difference with upgraded tube in Peachtree products?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aberyclark, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Although my Peachtree preamp tube looks quite cool when glowing, switching tube on/off offers no audible difference. My Zu speakers are quite revealing. Just curious if anyone has ever installed a higher end tube and actually heard a difference?

2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

What's the tube type? What brand is in there now?

3. aberyclark

I believe the stock tube is an Electro harmonix (rebadged Russian) 6922. One person on an older forum, maybe he was blowing smoke, stated he replace with a 1960's NOS GE version and was blown away by sonic difference. I find that hard to believe...but maybe he's right.

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

My Maverick D1 DAC has a NOS GE 5670, it is quite nice

5. aberyclark

If the NOS were not so expensive, it would be fun to roll some in this thing

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  7. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

My friend had a Peachtree preamp and blind folded I thought I could tell the difference but I could never reliably tell if the tube was in or out. Total joke. Toob buffers are a gimmick. Don't waste your money on a better tube. If you yourself also cannot tell the tube is there, a better tube won't just magically show up. Tube rolling is for fine tuning or polishing the sound....which is the same sound in this case.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Peachtree amps that I know use a Russian 6N1P. I had a Decco in my second system, never really warmed to the sound, sold it cheap to a friend. If I had one I would try the excellent "super-cryo" tube 6N1P from cryoset.com

9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a Peachtree NovaPre and I cannot tell any difference when the tube is on or off. I am not sure if a different tube would change that.
    It would be great to hear from somebody at Peachtree and see what they had to say about this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.