Anyone regret getting rid of your 80s Beatles cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

So has the more recent part 2 posts. It stops at 2015 yet there were pages of recent discussion as at last week.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Collector's obsession. I knew I had it when I had trouble getting rid of duplicate copies of music I had. I'd hold the dupe and think, "maybe I'll need this. Maybe I should keep it."

MILKEY likes this.
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I still have the breadbin, which I bought as part of a big outlay when I got a tax rebate.
    It's going nowhere.

Dave, fogalu and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Agree completely. Instruments and vocals muddied in the mix became clear. It's nuances, it's subtle, it's done respectfully, it's not invasive.

The Beatles wanted their songs to sound great, they were very much a part of the mixing process, they were early adopters of technology like 12-string guitars and 16-track recorders, they attempted to build a state-of-the-art studio at Apple, they pioneered ADT, they made the sitar mainstream, and on and on.

They'd have made their 60's classics sound like their 09 remasters had the technology made it possible back then.

D.B. likes this.
  6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

16 track recorders?....I don't think so.

7. schnitzerphilip

George wanted them for All Things Must Pass in 1970. John wanted Magic Alex to build a 72 track setup for Apple.

The point being that the Beatles cared very much about recording technology and would have wanted their 60's vinyl to sound like their '09 digital had it been possible back then.

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I only bought One. Still have it, don't listen to it though.

9. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

You said they were early adopters....they weren't.

kiddo4 likes this.
  10. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

There is no way that John would have accepted the opening chord "balls up" on A Hard Days Night or the sonic ruin of She Said She Said!

11. schnitzerphilip

So you're saying that the Beatles were not pioneers in the area of artist involvement and innovation in the recording process?

That's an interesting position to take.

12. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

No, I'm not.

13. schnitzerphilip

If out of 200+ songs remastered there is a track here or there that can be criticized it's understandable, but taken as a whole the remasters brought new life to the Beatles recordings allowing listeners to hear instruments and vocals more clearly. I went digital in 2002, I haven't listened to a vinyl disc or a piece of tape since then, so perhaps my ears and my views are in the digital medium.

Perhaps I feel the way I do about the sonic leap forward in the '09's because as a busy executive and father I listen to the Beatles almost exclusively on my BMW's premium sound system on my commute to/from work and on my iPhone + Bose headphones whilst traveling for business. I don't have a home stereo, haven't had one since the HDTV setup in 2006 and the kids taking over my home theater. So perhaps for those of us who view the convenience of carrying the collection in our pocket and listening in our cars and on airplanes the 09's are superior but for those with vintage equipment and the time to actually sit in a chair and enjoy an album on a proper stereo system they are not. All I can tell you is that I hated the 80's CD's and their tinny compressed sound and when the '09's appeared it was like someone cleaned my ears and I could hear better.

14. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

"Tinny and compressed" they are not.

Dave likes this.
  15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I'm afraid to let them go after getting the 2009 CD's. Yeah, I'm a big baby. :laugh:

Bingo Bongo and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The thing is the 2009 remasters are miles ahead of them in terms of sound quality and the 80's CDs will never be highly collectable as there was so many of them produced. (In the millions)
    So its no biggy to get rid of them.
    However, the 80's CD's are not as bad as people are making out either.
    I have both collections.

17. schnitzerphilip

To my ears, they are, and that's all that matters.

Next, you will tell me why I should prefer Fritos to Doritos.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Only Beatles CD I regret getting rid of is the 30th Anniversary White Album, but mainly due to the packaging.

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

So did I, but no regrets :cheers::cheers:

jwoverho likes this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I don't get any of this, when The Beatles albums were first released on CD they were hailed everywhere as the best thing since "sliced bread" I can't recall any criticism whatsoever. How times have changed..

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  21. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, mine are safe in their HMV boxes as well.

22. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Either they are compressed or they aren't.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Regret cds ?
    Never !!!
    Vinyl ...different story.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I lost mine in the divorce. Did find a new fatboy White Album this year for $3, tho.

25. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I don't give away any Beatle stuff. Ever.
    I have all the 87 CDs as well as the newer remixes and re-masters. Even though I no longer listen to vinyl, I still have my 60s albums, EPs and singles.
    I will part with them only when they are forced from my cold, dead fingers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.