Anyone sticking with "vintage" turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rgoodnight, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have no problems with a 30 or 40-year model, as long as it has been continuously improved. For equipments that are electro-mechanical in nature such as a turntable, it is not clear if the newest and latest model is necessarily better.

2. coopmv

Does Garrard as a company still exist, or has it gone into another line of business like Empire Scientific that originally made those great looking Empire 598 and 698 turntables through the late 70s and has since gone on to become some electronics distributor?

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Loricraft in England purchased Garrard. They are making turntables again and doing 301 and 401 refurbishing and parts.

4. coopmv

So Garrard is still in English hand. A whole swath of formerly English audio companies, from Quad to Mission, are now owned by the Chinese.

5. I am using an old Pioneer PL-71 from mid 70's and love it. I would like to maybe get new arm for it and was thinking of an RB300 or some such thing but don't know it it will fit or even work with the table or provide much improvement.

6. coopmv

I thought the prefix of PL in the Pioneer line of turntable stands for linear-tracking. But I think RB300 is a Rega arm and as such your Pioneer PL-71 could not be a linear-tracker.

7. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Vintage works great for me. Currently using a Sony Transcription dd with ortofon, with a vintage SME arm and a Dual 600 QS series DD semi auto with ortofon. I have a few in the wings, Thorens Mark III, B&O linear tracking, Thorens TD 124, Rotel DD with MA 2002, JVC DD with heat touch start like the Denon above, and a few old timers like Garard MkII and one more original Garard with the big plastic looking tone arm. I am looking forward to getting the Thorens MKIII tone arm wiring repaired and try it against the Sony. I have a Hitachi bd to donate due to non sale on ebay for $5.

8. coopmv

I have my Dual CS-750 and the Thorens TD126MKIII that are in perfect working condition. The 750 was bought about 5 or 6 years ago as NOS. I do have to resolve the occasional skating problems with the arm on the Thorens when the record is less than completely flat. My B&O 8002 linear tracker, an ultra beautiful piece of equipment has some speed sensor problem that causes it to automatically shut off in the middle of play, can also be fixed. Then the Dual CS-721 has some hum problems, which probably means the tonearm may need some re-wiring after 27 years, but mechanically it is working great. I also have the Philips 867 in storage. In short, I really cannot justify going out and get a new turntable such as an VPI Scout unless I am ready to get rid of some of the existing ones.

9. No, the Pioneer is not linear. I do know the RB300 is Rega, just not sure if it would work on the pioneer or are all arms made equal...so to speak?

10. I am the proud owner of a Denon DP 21F and Grado ZF3+ cartridge. 18 years and still going strong . . .

They replaced a Dual 1229Q from circa 1974. It had broken down by 1988 (that complicated idler wheel mechanism gave out), but I am sure it could have been restored. I should have kept it!

11. coopmv

It looks like you will have to do some cutting before that RB300 can fit on your Pioneer turntable, as the RB300 is meant to be installed on any turntable that came without the arm. But I am no expert in this area since I have never owned a turntable that required me to install a separate tonearm.

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Linn LP-12; there is still no substitute.

Well, maybe a Rega P-9...

13. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

My current "Main-Squeeze" TT, might be sold soon.... Boo Hoo...

I have had this for about a month.. nice.

Luxman. About 25 years old? Vintage?

14. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Some of those Luxman turntables were very good. Your one looks delicious!

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I just bought a marantz 6200 for 5 bucks Sunday, ordered a headhsell and Ill slap a cart on it

16. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Just picked up this turntable (Pioneer PL-530) with the record collection I bought. So far, so good. Trying to identify the audio technica cartridge on it. I just sold my idler wheel Dual 1215S yesterday. Picked up a Denon DP-23F today for $3.50.

Attached Files:

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Pioneer PL 530 is a wonderful table. Performs like one costing much much more. And yours looks to be in really good shape. Often the wood grain covering will show dings and scratches.

The cart looks like an Audio Technica AT11E or there about. What color is the plastic stylus clip that goes into the cartridge? This will tell us what grade replacement you need.

That cart was a work horse that delivered. And my old ones I have saved for 20 and 25 years still sound nice when new stylus are installed. Many carts sound poor when they age, but this model is an exception, or at least my old ones are.

18. rgoodnight

rgoodnight New Member Thread Starter

That's amazing (well somewhat amazing :)) . I also picked up a PL-530 at a garage sale last week: $25 without cartridge or shell, but I put my junky/test cartridge on it and it's pretty amazing.

I think we are sick :) I am at 5 turntables as of now. Including 2 Thorens TD124 I am restoring. But having a lot of fun in the process...

19. portisphish

It needs a good cleaning, but is in pretty good shape. The tonearm doesn't quite get to the outer edge of the record, and on return does not quite make it to the arm rest, but the speed seems to be right on, and both speed adjustments are working. I read somewhere that it is acceptable to leave the weight that goes through the arm off...do you guys agree? Here is a couple shots of the headshell assembly. Advice on stylus replacement would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. cjc

cjc Senior Member

My turntable is a 1970's Thorens TD145 MK1. I also have a TD160, but I like the auto- lift feature on the TD145 sooo much!

21. coopmv

I also prefer the end-of-record auto-lift. But many forum members who are vinyl purists have much disdain for anything that is not 100% manual.

22. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Yes. Vintage! I think I'll stick with my Lenco L75 in a massive ply/mdf plinth (weighs 75 pounds) for a while. Although, there is a newer RB700 on it right now. Initial impressions are that it beats my Rega P5 quite easily. I still have to hookup my P5 again to be sure but I think I know. The idler is a much more ballsy sound and I'm shocked at the detail and midrange.

After I do this, I'll be mounting a Moerch UP4 on it.

23. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Some cool tables there folks. Here's my '70s Marantz 6100. Belt drive, manual start/auto shut-off. Kinda no frills, but gets the job done. Will be going to a new cartridge pretty soon (maybe AT 440ML?).

Attached Files:

24. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Nice clean fingernails, Randy :D

25. portisphish

:shh: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.