Anyone tried this SACD Ripping service?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Murphy13, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

If it is sooo simple for you please post an English translation! :rolleyes:

robertawillisjr likes this.
  2. Tony Plachy

If it is sooo simple for you please post an English translation!

3. Tony Plachy

My computer crashed right after I posted this, I had to do a recovery start up which must have triggered it being posted again. So much for computers being simple.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I would but I don't speak Chinese. :) I just wanted to illustrate that there are directions available in the internet. A quick search of YouTube revealed a few others but this one seemed to be the simplest to work through despite the language barrier.

There used to be people that would rip SACDs for free. :cry:

5. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Time to start a new thread if you want to asking for Morons Guide TO SACD ripping

gammarayson likes this.
  6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Cute.

I finally got around to giving this a try. Predictably, I failed.

If I’m reading correctly, the descriptions and terminology in the otherwise helpful instructions in Computer Audiophile assume some working knowledge of basic programming, which I don’t have. I’ve never programmed anything, never written or used an Applescript; there’s never been the need.

Again, finding the Oppo IP address is easy; the actual ripping is easy. Setting up for it is profoundly unclear, at least to me.

I’ve been using what I think is this most recent “simpler Mac” instruction on CA:
    SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

It’s been suggested that this instruction lists some unnecessary steps. Which adds to unclarity.

Terms such as “Copy the Autoscript folder to the root level of a… USB stick” are unfamiliar. Is “root level” somehow different than simply dragging those scripts to the drive?

And then I got stuck on Java. I uninstalled Java years ago, and I won’t reinstall.

So I found this thread on a Roon forum which explains a workaround for avoiding Java:
    SACD ripping with Oppo or Pioneer

“muski” writes: “I recommend copying the sacd_extract binary file to the directory where you want to store your SACD files.” It literally took me a half hour to research what those things are, and determine a secure and easily-located place for them. It wound up in Library/Caches, but I’ve no idea if that’s good or not.

So, not confident that I’ve got either Autoscripts or sacd_extracts in the right place, I tried the Terminal Command steps “muski” describes. Again, yet another unfamiliar task for me; I’ve only used Terminal with a couple Apple tech support guys, who gave me EXACT text to copy-n-paste in EXACT spots. My understanding is that I can do some damage if Terminal commands are entered incorrectly.

I made a couple dozen attempts to somehow get this sacd_extract thing to light up. Mostly I got “no such file” responses. The only thing that showed up is the basic Library/Caches area that’s always been there (by entering cd ~/Library/Caches). I reluctantly tried other mild text variations, no results.

This tells me that I’m not creating Terminal commands correctly, and that would be because I don’t know how, and the online instructions must be skipping details which others might assume.

At any rate, it’s a fail at this point. I think I get the general premise: download three scripted items, put two Autoscripts on a USB drive somehow, put sacd_extracts in some other place, and somehow create a command to light them all up. THEN insert SACD discs and rip.

It’s the procedure to do that prep work which I need explained. In the most basic detail.

Why would I be wary to do this again, without clarification? Glad you asked.

I did all this last evening, and then I shut the iMac down and went out for the night. Sure enough when I booted up this morning I had no internet, modem was disabled, and iTunes wasn’t responding to keyboard commands or Trackpad hand gestures. And who knows what else. And another half hour to unravel that.

You can say “coincidence” but I’m convinced I entered sloppy Terminal commands and caused something bad. I really need to be clear on what I’m doing before I start pushing buttons, even if it’s routine to other users.

Is there a primer for basic programming? More specifically, what is the terminology I should search?

What have we learned here? Not as easy as advertised.

LA2019, wvsteveo, jhm and 2 others like this.
  7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

@gd0 ,

I can understand your consternation and frustration. When people say something is easy, "easy" is always a subjective term.
    I don't belittle your efforts, this process does require some effort or prior knowledge of computer terminology.

I would again suggest that a separate thread would attract much better help.
    It may have sounded snarky.
    This thread is gone away from from the OP by a length or two, IMO.

• Root level of the USB just means transferred to the USB stick, but not inside any folders on the USB stick. You don't want a folder within a folder within a folder.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My issues with my attempt to rip SACDs with an Oppo 103 mirror yours. That being the computer "terminology" used is way over my head. I certainly didn't make the effort that you made as I gave up as soon as the process did not show any progress. Being a visual person a YouTube tutorial in English would be a huge help. A separate thread discussing this process and possible creation of YouTube tutorial would probably be best. Although the discussion of using one of the Oppo, CA or Pioneer players is not totally off topic IMO.

9. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I ripped my SACDs using a PS3 and had a few problems but I know a bit about computers.

@Bill Mac when you said you ripped the files, did you check for any .ISO files on your computer?

I would suggest that anyone having problems go over to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true! and STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT PEOPLE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS and ask for a YouTube (in English?). Also ask them to visit and read this thread and hopefully help.

I'll post something over there as well.

10. tarainfo

tarainfo New Member

I just tried the method on my oppo 103 and also 105
    They both indicate insertion of the USB stick but just go back to the home menu
    Without opening the drive
    Running the pc program on a Windows 7 computer shows no connection at that IP address
    Although the oppo can be pinged
    Any ideas would be appreciated

11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Is autoplay disabled?

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Here is my simplified procedure and it has worked on my 103 and my 105:

Simple Instructions for PC users with iso2dsd (adapted from grill's post)

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped.

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the drive on your PC. Select Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from Step 5 (or click Quit).

8 ) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *The options for Channel Mode and Convert DST to DSD are irrelevant for ripping to ISO. I recommend clicking on Print to see a track listing in iso2dsd before ripping begins.

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I would suggest to insert USB stick first, and after turn on the player. It still works and it is safer.

14. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Kal, Thanks for the easy directions. Just one question. In the Sonore window there's space after the IP address for a "Port". What do you put there? Or is it left blank?

Thanks.

15. tarainfo

tarainfo New Member

Thank you Kal
    I found my error
    I was copying the 3 files to my USB stick
    Instead now I copied the folder autoscript containing the 3 files to the USB stick
    The drive opened and isotodsd found the oppo at its address and decoded the files
    Very happy. Thank you again
    I guess the folder name tells the oppo what to expect

16. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Got it! Just leave the 2002 in there. My problem was a computer not set up as client. Used one that is: Perfect.

17. Kal Rubinson

2002 Mine comes up with 2002 but that may be a remnant of having entered it in the past.

18. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Copying the disk as a series of .dsf files seems simpler, and certainly quicker for 2 channel. Any downside as compared to ISO files?

19. Kal Rubinson

Not if you make sure that you are using the latest version of sacd_Extract

20. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Well, one of the iso2dsdPC_v7 unzipped folder files from the Sonore site is sacd_extract. And all I do is select Sony DSF as the output mode instead of ISO as you suggest above. I get a .dsf file that I run into my DAC's USB port, and music does come out:).

I feel that's all I need if I'm not creating a physical disk. Am I correct? I guess I don't quite understand what an ISO file is. Can you help? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

As you stated, an .Iso file can be burned as an SACD-R that can be read and played back on many SACD players. .Dsf/.dsd files will only be playable on a computer or some portable DAPs. Also, if a disc contains a multitrack and stereo/mono layer, the. Iso file will contain both sets of audio. Iso2dsd will only rip one or the other in one go. You'd have to run it twice to get multichannel then the stereo/mono .Dsf files.

22. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Ripping out the .dsf file takes so much less time. All I want to do here is play my SACDs through a better DAC than is in my disk player, something that Sony doesn't want us to do, which is why my Oppo can't output DSD, or even a conversion to PCM, from its spdif port. Maybe I should return the favor by selling my SACDs after copying them.:agree:

Speaking of a small DAP, I wonder if anyone knows of a small unit into which I can plug a USB hard drive with the .dsf files to play through to a DAC. Something that could be controlled by a smart phone that could read the files on the hard drive, as is done with the Oppos.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.