Anyone using a Bluesound Node 2 with a NAS?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking of trying that when I get the network up and running in the new house next month.

Any comments on Bluesound in general appreciated.

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I was looking at them but decided to go with a Raspberry Pi instead. I hear good things about the Node 2 and it should work find with a NAS.

3. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

Had the original. The software was garbage when it first came out, i mean felt like a beta. Improved quite a bit but still had weird glitches where I would have to rebuild my library and would always mix up the album art. Got rid of it when I moved, but curious if they smoothed out the bugs. Customer service was useless too. Sounded fine. Curious about the auralic aries mini as a replacement esp since you can just pop in a 2.5 hard drive. Was looking to do the pi option too but i wanted ease of use so the wife and parents can use it.

4. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I'm using the original. four of them in the house with a synology nas. works fine. sounds fine.

russk likes this.
  5. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Once you set it up the Pi is very easy to use. I use RuneAudio and have used Volumio, they are very easy to use and you can control playback with the Linn Kazoo app. Even I can do it, how hard can it be?

6. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I am. Node 2 with ethernet connection to a router, then to Synology dj215 for content. Setup took a few hours, and I had to change access permissions within the NAS....everything had to be set to "guest with full access". My router is an all in one, modem, wifi base and router with 4 connection ports. I initially connected the Node to port 4, and experienced dropouts at random intervals. Not just one or two dropouts, but numerous dropouts at random intervals. I moved the connection from port 4 to port 2 and so far the dropouts disappeared. Sound is very good for digital, but I can tell a difference compared to vinyl (Linn LP12). Quiet deep background, but also a hint of digital glare. I do hear nice instrument decays, and reverberant fields, so clarity is very good. Interface software is voth cnvenient and basic. I can control the device from my ipod, iphone, android and computer. I have all songs tagged with artist's names, so selection by artist lists every song I have by artist name, then title. I find that the easiest way to segregate content is by folder, but in the folder section each title shows by name only without a cover thumbnail. Once I open the folder and access a title I get a cover pic. Lurking on the Bluesound forums it seems I am not the only one who thinks the interface lags other media software in the market.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I just sold my last Node 1 as I am using Roon for nearly all my listening lately, but before boxing it up I connected it to my new Qnap NAS and it worked perfectly, actually better than a shared drive from my Mac. Node 2 should be even better.

8. JimmieP

JimmieP Forum Resident

I run a Node 1 with a WD MyCloud.
    Bit fiddly to set up but once done sounds good and works well.
    As others have said the BluOS app could be better but it does the job.
    I really like the sound, and it handles the Hi-Res stuff I have well.

I currently run it over the wifi but am considering some connecting it up with Powerline Ethernet connection as my wifi can be a little unreliable (router is in different room to Node & Hifi)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.