Anyone using a Record Friend cleaning machine?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ocean56, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Myke Reid

Myke Reid Forum Resident

Looks like a black Spin-Clean, except for the drying rack, to me. However, I haven't used one.

luckybaer likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yeah, looks like a spin clean clone. Works just as well too I suppose.

luckybaer likes this.
  4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The best bit bit of Hi-Fi I ever bought was WAS a Loricraft cleaner.

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yes forget Phono stages, pre amps, tonearms, cartridges a top record cleaner is it.

GyroSE likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

I mean, cleaning can remove crackles and stuff, but if you want "better" sound then carts, pre amps and speakers are much better for that than cleaners.

7. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

It is an important part of the whole vinyl experience, but yes... nail your gear down early, and then pick up a decent RCM if you're really into spinning vinyl. That's what I did, and now I've got an Okki Nokki that definitely improves the listening experience.

GyroSE likes this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Record Friend - is that like Flu Buddy?

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

No, don't matter how good your gear is a clean record takes it to another level.

GyroSE and rebellovw like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed - good RCM setup is vital to great vinyl sound - a system w/o one - is constrained.

GyroSE and royzak2000 like this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That is a direct descendent of a Spin Clean.

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Good post.

rebellovw likes this.
  13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

That is what I thought - excellent device.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Assuming your vinyl is clean, sure. Better carts and speakers also tend to reveal more w/r/t records that aren't clean. One of the best things I ever did was buy an RCM. I do buy a good amount of used vinyl though.

Back to @Ocean56, I'd probably skip this and just buy a Spin Clean instead. What I don't like about this design is that it's black, so you won't be able to see the dirt gathering in the bath very well. The SC design with yellow plastic is much better.

If you can swing a bit more consider a budget RCM instead at ~$200.

Myke Reid and luckybaer like this.
  15. Leonthepro

Thats not what I was arguing.

16. Leonthepro

And some say that a better table will hide surface noise more.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I know a guy that runs expensive LOMC carts (e.g. $3K-$10K) on a heavily modded table. From time to time, he sends me needledrops of rare/OOP albums done with all his expensive gear. To say that I can hear every pressing flaw, tick, pop, etc. on these needledrops is an understatement (he is not a fan of using software to extensively clean up his work). Not that they aren't enjoyable to listen to, they are. But there is also a reason why declicking software and devices like the Sugarcube exist.

Another guy I know is a DJ and primarily uses DJ gear. He has a huge record collection (7,000 +) and condition runs the gamut. His DJ carts (Ortofon Concordes with conical styli and Shures with conical styli) and other gear do a good job of hiding surface noise and he is more tolerant of pressing flaws and records in sub-VG+ condition vinyl than I am. He still swears by the Spin Clean and uses it to even clean new records. I've been trying to talk him into an RCM but he isn't interested. He likes his Spin Clean.

Interpret these anecdotes however you wish.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

All I know is that cleaning does not make the sound better, just cleaner.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

clean has no sound. In my book:
    - When it is clean and static free - sounds better - blacker background
    - when it is dirty - lots of pops/clicks/fuzzy - sounds worse

For me one of my biggest upgrades was investing in my cleaning station. Much more noticeable than stepping up to a 1K$ cart was.

SirMarc, GyroSE and patient_ot like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Dirt on records creates noise, and that is something that can be objectively measured. Maybe you think extra noise makes records sound better, or you are from the Roy Gandy school of record cleaning.

21. Leonthepro

Is my position really that complicated, better sound is meant as in changing the overall musical performance output as a whole, cleaning just removes distortion anomalies.

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Understood. I come at better sound through better setup of the same sound(record) to get the best sound. Isolation, clean as possible, high quality components.

GyroSE likes this.
  23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree. I had a similar experience when I got my Okki Nokki 7 years ago- for me this was a game changer. To be able to clean records properly is vital if one wants to get the best out of the format- nothing can change that.

rebellovw likes this.
  24. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I think everything matters. RCMs matter only sonetimes, though, if you buy mostly new vinyl. I’d say 8/10 times, brand new vinyl is pretty much dead qiet on my system with no cleaning really necessary. Occasionally one is improved upon with a good cleaning (my Kirmuss seems to do a better job with brand new, seemingly clean vinyl). Dirty used records are improved with wet and US cleaning. My set-up, in particular the cartridges and tbe phono stage, are truly what facilitate a great vinyl listening experience.

To tbe OP’s question, though, I’ce never heard of tbe Richard Friend RCM before his post. It’s great to have a stand-by RCM to clean dirty lps. The prbkem with these tank systems, though, is that you really have to ckean a bunch fir all of tbe work to make sense. I think tbe nitty gritty style is best because you can quick clean one up right before playing it, and no pre-work involved (filling tanks, etc).

25. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

Bit of an old thread - but I recently bought the Record Friend cleaning "system". I purchased it only to rinse my records, not to clean them. I use the full strength Disk Doctor cleaning fluid (though I dilute it with 2-parts distilled water to 1-part DD "Magic" cleaner). The DD fluid really needs rinsed and I didn't want to spend $80 for a Spin Clean just to rinse my records.

The Record Friend seems fairly well made (in China) but be aware that it comes with two bottles of cleaning fluid that clearly have a fair amount of alcohol in the mix. Some like to use Alcohol for record cleaning. But since it dries out vinyl I stay away from it.

Since I have a Disk Doctor IV vacuum I don't use the dry rack. On the Record Friend the whole drying rack bit doubles as the base of the RF and if you remove it to use it you lose the wide solid base on the bottom of the RF cleaner.

I don't have a Spin Clean but I'd hazard a guess that it's worth the extra $20 to get the "real thing."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.