Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I've been using a ROTEL RA06 for the past 9 years,i'm completely happy,(my neighbors not so much):bdance:
    [​IMG]

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Anyone had the chance to hear the new Krell Vanguard? It's really, really good.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  3. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

The original 22L's.

4. Plinius 8200 MkII although mine is black.

[​IMG]

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yes, was able to try one at home for a day a couple of months back.
    Very, very nice; perhaps a bit too far on the detail side of the spectrum for me but I could definitely live with it.
    Not crazy about the looks though

6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Not mine but the same!
    [​IMG]

7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have three.These pictures are from the web,but they are the very same ones I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, inperson, ipl and 3 others like this.
  8. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Some company should do a reissue style integrated with styling like the one in the top photo-gorgeous!

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I kind of like the new look.

10. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Very nice. I'm really not usually into vintage gear, but the Fisher and Scott here are just beautiful.

11. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I just bought a marantz 8005 and it is shockingly good.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I can't believe I'm the only one using a Sonneteer Alabaster:rolleyes:

BilboAlaska likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

[​IMG]
    Bel Canto C5i has taken its place among the NAD 3020, Macontosh 6100 and Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amps I have owned.

Johnny Vinyl and bluemooze like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

cracking amp too ...........................

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I'm a tube guy (and went to tubes after having a Exposure 2010 integrated) but I would love to hear an Alabaster.Now that they come with phono stages (as an option) I'm tempted to sell my tube pre,tube integrated and class D power and just downsize and upgrade my power conditioning or speakers.

David Ellis and bluemooze like this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

demo an LFD, this may well suit you coming from a tube sound and maybe looking for a little more power.

17. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I love the older LFD's like the Mistrial-I've heard the LFD integrated is one of the musical amplifiers (tube or solid state) and is easy to live with but the last couple of generations have REALLY gone up in price and are how should I say it...butt ugly ...compared to the Mistrial (or even Exposure or Naim). I mean if Dr. Bews is going to ask a lot- does he have to make it so ugly?

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Yep, agree it is not the most eye catching but then again I don't think the good Doctor makes them for wall hanging lol.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My little bit on the side...the SMSL SA-98E. Surprisingly good for the money. About £70 in UK money.

Currently in use with the AVI Lab Series CD Player, some Chord Chorus interconnects, the Tannoy DC4s and some 79 strand cable to the speakers (mainly as anything bigger is too thick for the amp!).

[​IMG]

Partner with suitably sensitive speakers (I'd suggest 90db and above) as anything much less will push the amp and it'll distort on a whim. Keep within its comfort zone though and you'll get shockingly good audio for chuckaway change.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Neat stuff. I don't remember ever seeing separate tone controls for both the L-R channels before.

21. David Ellis

It is a great amp. I must admit to using a Dino + PSU. I had a long chat with Remo the co-owner of Sonneteer at a hi-fi show. He told me he doesn't do vinyl but he uses an Alabaster at home which he prefers to the Orton. At the show he had the Alabaster set up with a Byron and it quite happily filled quite a large room. Can't remember the speakers. I can't imagine ever feeling the need to upgrade.

22. David Ellis

I note that the LFD is twice the price of the Alabaster in the UK.

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I noticed now the Alabaster offers a phono stage for additional cost.They're on the Audio Circle website -have their own manufacturers circle.I suggested since they don't come with a remote anyway why not offer the Alabaster with a stepped volume control as Croft does with their amps/preamps? The volume control is responsible for more distortion then most think in an amp/preamp and a good stepped one (like Goldpoint) makes it much easier to hear details at low volume compared to pot volume controls.

24. Gordon Johnson

You only get what you pay for I suppose. Give it a spin at some stage if you can. DB HiFi will lend you the demo I'm sure :)

25. David Ellis

I did compare it to the Alabaster when I was changing my amp. As I already had the Dino etc I didn't need a phono stage. I also auditioned the Exposure, Naim and Rega amps. The Alabaster just seemed right to me. (I don't know your system so maybe the LFD is better for you). The only down side is the lack of a remote but can live with that. SQ/remote for me it's SQ every time.
    Yes the guys at DB are great. They've even offered to put my arm, the Funk FxR onto an Orbe and let me take it home and try it. I'm borrowing a Diablo plus Diablo NC PSU tomorrow.
    Service second to none and their record selection is growing.:righton:

Gordon Johnson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.