Anyone with any experience with a Vantas DPA-S50 A/V Preamplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by seed_drill, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought one of these things that allows you to keep your stereo amp, but also play surround sources (by passing your main signal through while integrating it with surround and center amps).

Anyway, I hooked it up, but it quickly developed a hum from the center and rear channels. Then it actually started crackling, so I turned it off.

I had originally plugged the unit into a shared extension cord with the amp, but read that could be a problem. Also, I have a few "blade" type speaker connectors, which I will switch out for banana plugs as soon as I can get them.

Any help?

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Looks like a very old gadget. I had something similar made by Carver a hundred years ago when HT was in its infancy.

Found this article: http://www.technofile.com/articles/vantas.html

And a download manual "MANUAL S50 final - Polk Audio" on this Google page, in case yours didn't come with one: http://www.google.com/search?client...as+DPA-S50+A/V+Preamplifier&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Didn't study it hard, but my impression was that the hookup method looks odd. Maybe precisely following their instrux will help. Otherwise, hums and crackling sound like defective or worn gear.

Good luck.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I never could get my unit to function properly on a sustained basis. So I took it back to the shop for servicing. He just handed me another one. This one started to catch fire from just plugging it in. Didn't even turn it on. It took nearly an hour and a visit from the fire department to determine it was the culprit. Why they felt the need to send out 4 trucks and 8 guys I'll never know. I guess I need to just either choose, vintage or surround, because never the twain shall meet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.