AP Blue Note SACD vs. Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD: ? re titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

I, for one, would love to see this series continue, whether Blue Note or otherwise. These have been great.

2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I'd be definitely thankful for a series of 25 Impulse titles. But let's just wait and see, I'm not really getting my hopes up for a release of the last 5 BN XRCDs in January.

3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Different label.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks. I assume they didn't give you any more info.

5. AxiomAcoustics

Unfortunately no. I figure I'll give it some space and then pry a little more deeply. I do like Milan's suggestion of Impulse though. (That's not a veiled hint BTW):laugh:

6. cds23

I have my doubts that a change of label, meaning Audio Wave handles business over to another company, would bring much difference. The main problem is that there is only one CD plant in the world that presses XRCDs. Having said that, why should they work/proceed any faster than they did with Audio Wave? The only other reason for the extremely slow release of these XRCDs I can think would be financial problems. That of course would explain a lot.

7. AxiomAcoustics

That's not what we're talking about, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment. To qualify:

This is about Audio Wave doing another release series that is not Blue Note after the release of the final 5 now in waiting. Not AW switching production companies. That's why I said I liked your impulse! mention.

8. cds23

Ah ok, then I guess I misunderstood an earlier post of yours. Sorry!

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Analogue Productions already did a series of impulse! albums, on hybrid SACD. I wonder if Universal are willing to license another series (probably XRCD this time) to a different label and I also wonder how AP might feel about that.

10. cds23

Why would Universal want to handle this differently than with Blue Note, which has been licensed to at least 5 different labels, 2 of them being Analogue Productions and Audio Wave? Why would Analogue Productions feel any other way than they did when Audio Wave announced their 25 BN XRCDs?

11. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I wondered the same thing. Then I thought about Prestige and realized AP is also doing a series of those. Can I dream about a Fantasy or Contemporary XRCD series? There are a handful already on XRCD from JVC :)

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No idea, it was just a thought :)

13. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Live at the Village Vanguard, Crescent, Ascension, Meditations, Interstellar Space. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
    That makes Five for Trane! ;)

14. AxiomAcoustics

Can't believe you said that! I was thinking along the same route including:
    Four For Trane
    Three For Shepp
    Live At Pep's
    East Broadway Rundown
    Heavy Sounds
    Liberation Music Orchestra
    Ptah
    Etc................

15. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Yes, that's The Way Ahead.

16. AxiomAcoustics

Too bad the price won't be Three For A Quarter, One For A Dime.

J.A.W. likes this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

Well, it's not impulse!. That's all the info I could extract. Not sure it's far enough along to announce methinks.

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

This is speculation surrounding a potential new jazz XRCD series? It won't be BN or Impulse!, am I following?

I've got the final five on my watchlist. January would be nice if they come through.

19. AxiomAcoustics

Correct. Supposedly a new round from AW that is not either label. And supposedly Jan on the final five yes. So many qualifiers eh?

jh901 likes this.
  20. cds23

Ok, so chances are good they will, provided they really continue the series, pick one of the three remaining big jazz labels: those who qualified as "Original Jazz Classics" under the former Fantasy label, Verve and Atlantic. In case they choose to reissue some Fantasy titles, I'll pass on those titles I already have as audiophile editions such as JVC XRCDs or AP or MFSL gold and SACDs.

21. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Any speculation out there on when the remaining XRCD Blue Note titles will be released? Surely the remaining titles will eventually get released, yes?

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that the general consensus is "soon."

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. cds23

Release date is still TBA, and even if they give a specific release date that doesn't mean that it won't get pushed back further into the year.

24. AxiomAcoustics

I was told by the Audio Wave distributor "January 2015". At least they gave us the year.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I posted earlier that's also what I was told a few months ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a few months later ;) That would be much better for my wallet anyway...