AP Ellington Masterpieces mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tlay, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a heads up...this might be my best sounding LP. If you enjoy this type of music, run to buy this record. I can't take it off my record player, it is incredible! All the instruments sound so clear and up front, and the vocals make it seem like she is in the room with me. I may buy a second one just in case some terrible accident happens to mine. I really do think those who proclaim the superiority of mono may be on to something. AP and Music Matters are Killing it right now! A great time to be into vinyl.

bluejimbop, SergioRZ, Cassius and 7 others like this.
  2. Hank

Hank Senior Member

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Will this eventually be released as an SACD?

4. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Absolutely fantastic album....I have two on vinyl....one gray six-eye label, Columbia ML4418 (mono) from 1955 and another version from 1973, Columbia JCL825. I am tempted to get this new re-issue....

5. Hank

Hank Senior Member

6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

For me the better question is will this be available on Super Hi-Rez as a download? I hope so. Still love vinyl but as digital gets better (including my digital equipment), I prefer buying Hi-Res digital. Bet this sounds great digitally too!!!

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'll have to check this out and maybe rip it to Flac for the Pono.

OT but I looked a little beyond the Ellington and saw that Beck's Sea Change hirez d/l had an icon stating it qualified for free shipping! That's a relief.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Parkertown likes this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

9. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

I think this is my best sounding record as well. I have some other Mono records I love and think wow it doesn't sound Mono it is so good, ;) This Ellington Mono Record is out of this World! The depth and instrument separation is there as good as any Stereo record I've heard. The Bonus is that it also has that Punchy Mono sound in spades. It's an awesome press. Thank you AP!!! I just Picked up their Ray Charles Genius + Soul = Jazz and it's great, but this Ellington should be in everyone's collection. $30 to bring the best out of your system.

bluejimbop and Tlay like this.
  10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

What I wrote on my website back on 2010:

"Duke Ellington Masterpieces by Ellington Columbia ML 4418

This was Duke's first recording done specifically for the new "Long Play" record format; for the first time they were able to record "uncut concert arrangements" that were too long to fit on a 78rpm disc. It's rare that I will say that technology aided the advancement of art but this is truly one of those occasions. This disc makes you realize how much musicianship has taken a backseat today and how modern recording has technology stuck in it's ear, failing to capture magic the way they did in 1950."

So, anyone here compare this to the original green label Lp? Does it have the vocal edit of later editions?

Thin Man, Cassius and Stone Turntable like this.
  11. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

The CD was stunning as well, I remember demonstrating it to friends to show that old recordings could sound good if they were properly engineered.

12. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

The new LP is good but has been over-hyped. Nice to see it being appreciated, however.

13. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

the lp is already back ordered, not cool

14. Wade Burrow

What?! That's nuts! I'm lucky to have found mine at Waterloo Records here in Austin, TX.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Do you own it? Whence your sense that it's unworthy of enthusiastic praise, and that merely nice is the just verdict?

16. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

lucky your store gets in AP releases...

Wade Burrow likes this.
  17. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

yes

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Santa delivered a copy of this LP last week, and after listening I'm just gobsmacked both by the music and by the stunning sound quality. For me this is now tied with the AAA mono vinyl Beatles as the most revelatory reissues of 2014

bluejimbop, Cassius and Wade Burrow like this.
  19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Is this release truly AAA?

20. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Yep.

21. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

This is a great-sounding LP. Kudos to Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds.

22. Wade Burrow

For those interested Acoustic Sounds shows Masterpieces by Ellington "In Stock"

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There seems to be some question as to whether this release has the bonus tracks?

This was posted on a different thread in this forum:
    By the way, the Acoustic Sounds website states that the SACD includes the three bonus tracks heard on the RBCD. Has anyone actually listened to the SACD yet and is able to comment on the sound quality? thanks in advance.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ellington-masterpieces-sacd-sq.405741/#post-11674706

24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I just received a copy of the LP which I missed on the first time around. I like finding great mono recordings since I have a dedicated mono arm on one of my tables (Technics EPA 250 wand with the Dynavector xv-1s mono cartridge, actually the arm playing in my avatar photo currently). I agree on the sound quality and the vinyl is dead silent. Unfortunately, my copy is rather severely dish warped to the point where I haven't even tried side two yet. The outer edges ride about a half centimeter above the platter. This is quite unlike QRP in my experience.

Luckily, this heavy type vinyl and dish warping are just the sorts of things the Vinyl Flat excels at. Hopefully, after some delay, I'll be ready for side two. Should be worth it.

25. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Great...another $30 record warped :( Can it be exchanged?

bluejimbop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.