Apple acquires Beats Electronics for $3b *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Radiotron, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Hipsters like Koss Pro4aa

arisinwind and RonW like this.
  2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I tried a friend of my son's Beats this weekend and found they were very lacking in midrange and highs. I sure wouldn't trade my Grado SR-60s or Koss Porta Pros. Although to be fair, the built in Bluetooth is a nice feaure and I don't know if there are any good bluetooth headsets avaiable. I have a pair that are 7 years old and aren't particularly good sounding.

RonW likes this.
  3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Now I'm that...

4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You had to mention your Grado 60i's. Now I'm wanting to go listen to my 80i's that I love. And I have so much else to do here...

I wanted to try some Beats but never hear the good...

5. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Since I got my PSB Speakers M4U-1's I'm officially out of the Grado/Sennheiser orbit. They make good headphones, PSB makes amazing headphones.

6. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer Thread Starter

Can a mod change the title of this thread to:

Apple acquiring Beats Electronics for $3b

7. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

What's $200mil between friends?

8. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

I don't know of any music lover that cares about sound that likes Beats headphones...but i know lots of music lovers that care about sound and like idevices' headphone out sound. Heck just an iPhone with some Shure or Westone in ear monitors sounds great.

So i hope that Apple fixes Beats sound instead of the opposite

9. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

They may already have. Beats released a new pair of headphones on June 1st, that are supposed to have a more balanced sound (although still bassy).

Vidiot likes this.
  10. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I just read on one of the music sites that Beats Music honchos Ian and Trent will be getting positions at Apple. That's a nice career trajectory. People really are moving around a lot more (if they're that lucky).

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's $3B now? Hm. Honestly, I hope they saved another couple hundred million for some decent audio R&D. I like the styling and build of beats, but I'm still skeptical. "Beats by Apple." "Apple Beats" Whatever, man. Maybe they figured it was worth $3B just so they could stop hearing: "The Apple earbuds suck."

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So what died?... The hard drive?

13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yes, they could name it Apple Records... Oh wait.... ;)

Vidiot and Metralla like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was really surprised when EMI came up for sale and Apple Computer didn't step up to the plate and buy them. "The Beatles... back on Apple!" Apple Inc. has an interesting arrangement with Apple Corps so that the former owns the Apple logo outright, but licenses it free to the Beatles' for use with their back catalogue.

norman_frappe likes this.
  15. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

In keeping with their organic naming trend they are changing the headphones line to "BEETS by APPLE"!

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting.

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Apple Computer Company will never equal Apple from the UK when it comes to music.

Taking the Apple name made famous by the Beatles and trying to get a monopoly on today's music scene may be an ambitious goal.

But there's more to music than making billions and billions of dollars in profit on well marketed...clearly overpriced...and yet "elegantly" designed mini-sound devices.

And Steve Jobs has moved on...

19. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Apple records really has nothing to do with Apple Inc. USA. so I don't even get your point there especially when Apple records had a handful of releases compared to the innovative technology giant Apple Inc. here in the USA.

Their goal was unrelated to Apple records as their business began with educational PC systems and evolved into portable communications, Internet and music devices over decades not a few years.

Last point, yes Steve Jobs has "Moved on" as you say but with respect will always be remembered for being one of the greatest technology innovators of our lifetime. He is sadly missed by many.

Please tell us your idea of "There's more to music"....

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Metralla

Strange post, DRM.

rainspainplain likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No question, a genius at business and technology. But one of the supreme A-holes of the 20th century. Did you read Walter Isaacson's book on Jobs? I thought I knew lots of awful stories about Steve, but the book had a hundred more that I had never heard before. But he was a huge Beatles fan and did admire the creativity of Apple, but the word "Apple" existed long before the Beatles used the name. (The details of the trademark lawsuits between Apple Corps and Apple Computer are very interesting.)

My guess is that when Beats Headphones start getting made under the new arrangement, the packaging will say "Beats by Apple" or something like that.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I see coming as well. Would probably do a lot to preserve battery life on the iPhone.

The biggest issue for Apple is reducing the thickness of parts and the number of parts, and eliminating the headphone jack would do both. Lightning is certainly thinner, and relying on it alone would eliminate a part. (It's possibly more durable, too.)

24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have an iPod touch 5th generation. It almost feels too thin.

25. Metralla

This would require that the Apple earbuds that come with the phone would have a Lighting connector. A bit of added cost. Can you see that happening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.