Apple Music ruins my train journey...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sevoflurane, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Hipsters do Apple Music. People do Spotify.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have an iPod, iPhone and an iPad (using to type this) and each does certain things well.

I do not have Apple Music activated and never will.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

i need multi formats

I have a over 300 gb of apple lossless on my IMac computer
    I keep two ipods for my car source
    I have sn iphone and ipad but dont use them for music
    Also cut mp3s for a finis underwater headset

Bluesound which burns mp3 and flac simultaneously to a 1 TB drive

Have Cayin portable hi end dap that takes flac mp3 and 24/192 hi rez files
    I use it with an Oppo h2 portable

I am frustrated how apple tries to merge all my files
    When I try to group them separately
    And how when I put a disc in itunes takes control

Too many formats and file types
    But there should be an easy solution that can be backed up from a single computer

Any suggestions pm me

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I personally can't stand to 'try' to listen to music with such loud, distracting noises surrounding me. No matter how much I'd crank my little unit..the other sounds permiated....as yes..I've tried.

I need near silence to enjoy my music at home and even just the refrigerator compressor bothers me in it's faint sound. :shrug:

billnunan likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm sorry but this is the Steve Hoffman MUSIC Forum. The Steve Hoffman Book Forum is just down the street

billnunan likes this.
  6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Have you tried noise-cancelling headphones? I don't use them myself, but several people around me speak highly of the latest generation.

7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

No...never tried them. I'm not in a noisey commuting environment anymore though.

8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Ken Rockwell:

Confirming what I hear with critical listening, the iPhone 5 is a wonderful high-fidelity audio source. While publications funded mostly by advertisements from makers of expensive cables, power conditioners and outboard DACs don't want you to know this, the iPhone 5 is a better audio source than most DACs will be when connected to a computer or CD transport. The only difference is that the iPhone has a level 6 dB lower than a proper CD player, but the iPhone still has more output at 1 V full-scale than some outboard audiophile DACs! (Stereophile wrote that "The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players" back when the iPod first came out and was only considered as a toy and not as a better player than most of the exotic fluff gear out today.)

The iPhone lacks a fan or hard drive, so it runs silently as it plays from its buffered solid-state memory. The iPhone 5 has the additional benefits of being self-powered, so you have no ground loops as you will when using AC-powered gear or anything connected to a computer via a electrically conductive cable.

Ignore those who confuse the iPhone with crappy MP3 players; the iPhone has wonderful audio quality for serious music listening either directly with good or great headphones or plugged into the rest of your high fidelity system.​

billnunan, pablorkcz and JeffMo like this.
  9. Stone Turntable

[​IMG]

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed Mr. Benchley!

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Do you agree with Ken?

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I still haven't updated my phone to the "politically correct" smiley keypad (I think more than a year ago now) so I've not had to deal with this service (I refuse to call it Apple Music because it's not Apple's music, it's my damn music that they're just trying to control). When the story broke about Apple deleting files off of your computer back in March or whenever I did a drastic rehaul of my whole CD collection... now I have two folders - a reference library where I catalog every CD as imported with no frills, and a music library where I load he ones I want in my iTunes with pictures and writer info and all that. Takes up a ton of space, but now Apple has no excuse to touch the files as they're not in the Apple folders anymore.

13. Stone Turntable

Yes — I think the DACs and headphone amps in iPhones are very good. You'll be taking a significant step up with a dedicated device like a Pono player, but if you're using well-mastered, lossless or not too lossy files, and a high-quality pair of headphones designed to produce acceptable volume and perform well within the power limits of a portable source, iPhones are wonderful music players. The idea that they sound mediocre is pure non-empirical bunk.

Billy Infinity, GetHappy!! and Yost like this.
  14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I don't anything Apple.

EAC, Winamp , Android & no problems.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have the iPhone 5, and I neither think it is mediocre nor do I think it is on the level of my Pono. I do consider it an upgrade in SQ from iPhone 3 and 4.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

SanDisk Sansa Clip 4 gig player (w/mini SDHC slot) is a cheap option... drag and drop your lossless files from your desktop, and boom. sure, it's outdated, but you really should be aware of your surroundings while out in the wilderness.

screw the cloud, anyhow

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Can you not just switch to mono in the accessibility settings when playing Stereo Beatles via iTunes on headphones?

18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wouldn't sound the same as the original mono mix. Since starting this thread I have learned a lot about Apple Music and iTunes. I can now have my ALAC files on my iPhone alongside the Apple Music ones, I can play pretty much any music file using Onkyo HF Player, and along the way I have acquired a decent DAC / headphone amp and better headphones. Shame I have no scheduled train journeys really.

Yost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.