Appreciating Nirvana's "Nevermind" Over 25 Years Later: Immense Seller-- POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Nevermind

[​IMG]

Wikipedia:

Studio album by Nirvana

Released September 24, 1991
    Recorded April 1990; May 2, 1991–June 1991
    Studio
    Genre
    Length 49:09
    Label DGC
    Producer Butch Vig

Singles from Nevermind:
    1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
      Released: September 10, 1991
    2. "Come as You Are"
      Released: March 2, 1992
    3. "Lithium"
      Released: July 13, 1992
    4. "In Bloom"
      Released: November 30, 1992
    30 million: Number of copies Nevermind has sold, worldwide. In the U.S., it's certified as diamond by the RIAA, for shipment of 10 million copies. 0: Number of Grammys Nevermind won (it was nominated for two). 4:30: Total length of first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit."Sep 23, 2011: all this and the band and the record label had low expectations of Nevermind.

Personnel:

Nirvana

Additional musicians

• Chad Channingcymbals on "Polly" (uncredited), drums on the "Smart Studio Sessions" (Deluxe Edition)
    • Kirk Canning – cello on "Something in the Way"
    Technical staff and artwork

[​IMG]

Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic at a Nevermind 20th anniversary show in 2011.

Nevermind

There have been many threads on Nirvanas Nevermind on Hoffman. Believe me I learn from these many threads. There are many more knowledgeable people here on Nirvana, Nevermind and the whole grunge genre than me.

I never really cared for the grunge period in the early 1990's.
    Not to say it wasn't good music, as the early 90's progressed I found myself getting more into the genre. I like seeing how an album I like or dislike becomes a mega seller. It's fascinating for me to examine this phenomena.

At the college radio station the grunge scene hit big albums like Nevermind and Pearl Jams Ten were all over mainstream and college radio.

Truth is I really hadn't realised how big the grunge genre and these albums were early 1990's.
    Spinning Nevermind this morning a lot of memories of this album came back to me. In my college and even friends I had at the time who didn't like Nirvana or the grunge sound taught me to listen to all opinions of this album and genre.

This morning while going through Wikipedia I hadn't realised Nevermind had sold so many physical copies, all before the downloading explosion.

Like it or hate the genre of grunge it definitely was felt through out the world with monster commercial albums like Nevermind and Ten.

I do threads even on albums I was never crazy about. Because over time these albums have grown on me. Nevermind is one of those and that was my loss at the time I appreciate much more now.
    Like or dislike Kurt Cobain his death was felt all over my college and the world over. So soft and relaxing a voice but yet a hypnotizing look to him. Talented, so young, so tragic. A great loss indeed.

Nirvana was a very talented band but at the time I was still stuck in the 1980's, my bad, my bad.
    Every club I partied at, at the time had Smells Like Teen Spirit or Pearl Jams Evenflow blasting over the speakers. It got to be I was forced to check out this new band Nirvana with this new album Nevermind.

Got to admit Smells Like Teen Spirit was a great dance song when the alcohol was flowing and dancing with the ladies at the clubs. Loved it great times, college, partying' the ladies, Nevermind was a part of all that in my life even though I didn't much care for it at the time.

Spinning this cd this morning and enjoying it more even now then in its hey day. Like or hate it share your likes dislikes memories of this early 1990's mammoth seller. Appreciating Nevermind more than ever.

Nirvana: Nevermind [Full Album]: Nirvana: Nevermind [Full Album] - YouTube

2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. Seriously, I could care less about grunge. This is a great pop-rock record.

3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Not sure why grunge is such a dirty word for so many folks. Grunge period restored my faith in music, after the 1984-1990 period which I hated.

Biggest thing for me about that time is that acoustic music seemed to make a comeback, after all the overproduction of the late '80s. Hence, "Polly" is one of my choices.

PhoenixWoman, kiddo4, Dodoz and 13 others like this.
  4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I thought it was great when it came out. It was so tight and basic and yet it had something Beatles melodic about it. You could sense a Lennon in Cobain. I liked the whole period, the early 90s, it was young and energetic but shabby and relaxed. It was a mini-60s. I kind of like that. I love people who smoke and drink beer and hate those who don't. ;)

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:

Put beautifully, your so right.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

7. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I have not listened to it in years and I was an early adopter.. I was in college and MTV played it a lot. and yes its got some great stuff but its also got some stuff I just dont' care for...it did mark a before and after... but is it a great album? Not for me.. I am one of those that thinks grunge did more harm than good in the end....but we've had those arguments on many other threads.

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The In Bloom video always makes me really happy. I still don't know what grunge is, some marketing thing I guess. Why were The Posies or The Fastbacks not 'grunge' but Green River and Mother Love Bone are/were? Catch you on the flippity flop Kurdt!

Oh yeah, I voted for Lithium just because it sounded really good played in a junky store back when it was new.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

My top three are In Bloom, Territorial Pissings, and Something in the Way
    Great album

Grant, andy75, davers and 1 other person like this.
  10. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I picked all but three songs (Polly, Lounge Act, On A Plain and Something In The Way). I loved this album when it came out and played it to death. Back in the days when it was either Nirvana or Pearl Jam, I was Team Nirvana all the way (though I still liked PJ). Someone said "grunge" did more harm than good?? I can't see how, unless the world needed more years of Poison, Warrant, et al. For me, it was the beginning of a musical renaissance which lasted throughout most of the 90s till groups like Limp Bizkit and Creed reared their heads. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted... I should spin this album more often, but it makes me sad to do so for the most part nowadays. I'm sad for Kurt's eventual fate, I'm sad for the crappy state of music over the past 20 years, but most of all, I'm sad for my own lost youth. Where did all that time go exactly? Damn, I thought I was gonna be young forever...

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Whenever my soul needs a pick-me-up, it's time for Territorial Pissings.

12. beccabear67

You have good taste for a young cat. Kurt listened to Devo, Shocking Blue, Os Mutantes, The Melvins, and The Raincoats.

13. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I had heard demos of songs that appeared on Nevermind between early 1990 to mid-to-late 1991 thanks to bootleg singles and EPS that had been released and also thanks to KXLU 88.9 FM who had always supported and played Nirvana since the Bleach album was released in 1989.
    I was lucky enough to work at Caroline Records Distribution in Sun Valley, California back between 1989 and late 1991 (and we, at the time, were the only west coast distributors of Sub Pop Records at the time) and was lucky enough to get free passes and tickets to see Nirvana at Raji's in Hollywood among tons of other bands from labels such at Touch & Go, Dischord, Epitaph, Taang, etc.. I was a very lucky young guy
    In 1990 when I was twenty-four years old, I started writing for the great and now defunct punk rock fanzine fLiPSiDE and started my own punk band named DickTit, so, as you can tell, I was kicking butt in the independent music industry and trying to get underground bands noticed via band interviews (The Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, etc) and record and live show reviews in each and every issue.

One of the best interviews that I ever did was the one with Kurt Cobain back in early 1992. At that point, the Nevermind album had sold around two to three million copies and Kurt had married Courtney Love, who was a mutual friend of mine, so I had pretty easy access to them via the telephone since I had both their Los Angeles and Seattle phone numbers in my phone book. All I did was call Al fLiPSiDE on a three way call with Kurt and the interview was on! I stayed friends with Kurt until his untimely passing and the adventures that I went through will be eventually released in a book I am trying to put together about my punk rock/fLiPSiDE days. One day....

Enjoy! Oh and that is me and Kurt below backstage at a Mudhoney show in Los Angeles in late 1992. Sigh. I still really miss that guy.

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/info/articles/05.00.92-flipside.html

[​IMG]

14. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Never heard it.

15. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

interesting interview... as usual Kurt comes across as having a very tough time dealing with success and his band's place in relation to other bands.... some might say insecure..

Psychedelic Good Trip and Cake like this.
  16. beccabear67

"if you sincerely like a band, you’ll stick with them no matter what they do"

Okay! Well, except for Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. :laugh:

17. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I remember when Nirvana appeared on "Saturday Night Live" and played "Territorial Pissings" as their second song, wrecking the stage afterward. That was some television!

I rarely listen to "Nevermind", but I when I look at the poll above, I can remember how each one of the songs went. I can't even do for some of my absolute most beloved albums, so it must have made some kind of lasting impression. (It probably also helps that it was one of the first albums I ever owned, one of the first ten I think.) I've got to revisit it soon.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

I usually skip teen spirit if I play it now. Just heard it too many times...

19. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....I was the ripe ol' age of 18 in 1991. This was MY music. Loved this album! I wore it out. The second half is my favorite from Territorial thru Something In The Way or Endless Nameless on my copy :D

20. beccabear67

It was creey when I saw they had that sweater in a glass case at the Experience music thing in Seattle (when I finally deigned to go in there), but I got to see Muffit from the original Battlestar Galactica, and that was cool. I told someone there it was creepy because he was a guy my age people just saw around, and now here was a bunch of his old junk in a white walled exhibit. Brrr!

21. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've been listening to it as I saw this thread actually. Nevermind was sort of my introduction to Nirvana though I never really listened to it properly as an album until I picked up a copy on Vinyl. I had a copy from iTunes but for some reason it took a while for me to get into the music. Since then I picked up In Utero and Bleach and I listen to them every now and then if I'm in the mood. I guess it was the documentary Sound City that made me really give it a proper look, before that I had just bought it on iTunes because I had heard it was really good. That said I still think the intro to Territorial Pissings is a bit stupid, especially since I quite like the song once it gets started.

22. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Where's endless nameless on the list? Clearly my favorite; love that noise

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm surprised there wasn't legal action taken, use of copyrighted material or something.
    When a record sells that much....

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Since it's 1991 release my three favourite tracks have been;

In Bloom
    Territorial Pissings
    Lounge Act

Think they became even greater on their last studio album, "In Uteto".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.