AR XA Tonearm Angles Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

2. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

There are NO threads on the headshells. Please look at the manual that I posted for you. It has pictures.

4. Rattlin' Bones

Got it.

So what does the aluminum collar "thread" onto?

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The tabs. Please see page 3 of the manual.

6. Rattlin' Bones

Got it.

There's a company in town (Magnetic tape Company) that does nothing but restore vintage equipment. I'll see if they have a replacement head shell.

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

You can get them from Ebay. I have a stash of them from eBay. Let me take a look and see what is being offered. I have had AR-XA, AR-XB(2), and now have a mint AR-77-XB so I have some experience and can help.

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The headshells from Pat's Audio have better connectors and screw threads. The plastic is a bit soft so do not overtighten.

10. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

It can't be stressed enough as far as headshell mounting for the stock XA, make sure you push it all the way in, then gently tighten the collar. Completely the opposite of what you do with a modern turntable but it is what it is.

PhxJohn likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, that's what I meant by threads. They are a terrible design, just a few nubs of plastic to form the thread on the headshell. The screw thread on the arm collar draws that into the collar. When those plastic nubs molded on the headshell (the "threads") get worn, then you get a sloppy fit. I think the plastic bushing in the arm collar was glued originally. It is likely too soft for a good compression fit. The trouble with that rotating is that it can be twisting the arm wires and maybe damaging the solder joints inside. The whole bushing should be able to be gently pried out with a pen knife if it is rotating easily. Once uou get it out and are comfortable with the wiring being OK, I would put a drop of nail polish just inside the arm tube opening and then reinsert the bushing so that it is in the correct position (verify with headshell) and let it set-up. That should get you back in business if the problem was just the bushing being loose rather than the headshell being worn. You might also try a very thin film of vaseline on the headshell threads to lube the collar threads when reassembling. The aluminum gets oxidized and galls with the plastic which gets powdery at this point, so that might keep it all less exposed to that sort of wear and oxidation. Once you get it all in line, it is way easier to just buy a stylus replacement than to try and install and align a new cartridge with that odd headshell. I think they came with an overhang gauge for that when new. For use with a modern, universal jig, it takes many trial fits and removals, adjustments to get it right...
    -Bill

12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

If you use any lubricant on plastic or rubber parts, use silicone grease. Other lubes are not plastic or rubber friendly.

13. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

You can get a fairly detailed copy of the overhang gauge off of the Vinyl Nirvana site... (They are also available in various places like Barter town or that store by the bay for purchase if so desired)

14. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks!!! Help is appreciated!!!

15. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

If once the headshell is installed and the collar still rotates then the collar has to be re-glued, it's not the headshell. The collars often come loose from the arm wand, small dot of super glue works well, make sure the headshell is parallel before the glue dries.

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

From the first pics you posted it looks like the headshell is properly mounted so a new one is not needed, it is the collar that is loose and needs the glue fix.

17. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Please read the manual to get the most from your AR XA. I have a Garrard Lab 80, Rega RPX ('X' because it is so upgraded) and an AR 77-XB. The tonearm on the AR is quite capable. It just needs to be set up properly.

18. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks!!!

I'll buy a new headshell and have a new cart installed in it and all will be good. The tabs on that headshell are severely worn. If tabs were like new then the alumni locking ring would have something to lock onto.

Thanks for helping me!!!

19. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

What cartridge is in there ? It looks like a Stanton 681EEE. If so, that is an excellent cartridge. BTW..you are welcome !!

20. Rattlin' Bones

Yes Stanton 681EEE.

PhxJohn likes this.
  21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

22. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The headshell has tabs, not threads. The collar on the tonearm has coarse threads. The tabs are known to crack or break off.. there should be two on the top and three on the bottom if memory serves me correctly.

The headshell appears cocked in the photos. The arm appears twisted as well.

On the back of the arm tube, just ahead of the pivot is the overhang adjustment screw. It may be loose and the arm sitting "crooked". The screw threads into a slot, as the arm may be moved ahead or back to adjust the overhang. To access the screw, lift the arm pivot by about an inch or so (the tube in the well) You'll need a small, short screwdriver. The AR table came with an overhang gauge, which may be missing. Also included was a stylus force balance, also may be missing. The arm pivot needs to be oiled periodically as also the platter bearing. AR supplied oil, but you may use 3 in 1 oil, sewing machine oil, or 5W motor oil (a little thicker but would be ok)

You may download an alignment protractor online, that you can print out.

23. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks, Fringe.

We went over all that ground already. Tone arm was twisted. It's now back to correct position. Cart is cocked yes, because the tabs are worn down and the aluminum locking collar ain't got nothing to lock on to.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  24. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

This is what your headshell should look like,
    [​IMG]

This is the arm wand with the collar pulled out, yours may be loose, they were glued in place originally. A little glue on the plastic part and you should be fine.

[​IMG]

25. BrainlessProdigy

BrainlessProdigy Active Member

Have a noob question regarding the tonearm on my AR-XB but don't feel it warrants a new thread.

I've got the tonearm looking parallel when on a record using the index card method but in the arm rest it slopes down. It's fine as long as it's parallel on the record, correct? Or should it be straight in the rest as well?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.