Arctic Monkeys AM Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Okay, I didn't realize this was their schtick.

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

No schtick, now... THIS is schtick :D.

(My video of when I travelled to the US to see them last month).

PennyLanes likes this.
  3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

:yikes: Surely they play your side of the pond, occasionally? ;)

4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Interesting comparison to Franz Ferdinand. For me, the Monkeys started out as Libertines pastiche and have now taken over Franz's place in the musical continuum. Alex is a good frontman though, which carries the through.

5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

(Actually ironically enough they skipped The Netherlands on 2 album tours in a row now). Seen them 10 times this tour so far, 5 more planned... 30 odd times in total... *sighs. Haha.

PennyLanes likes this.
  6. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

it's really interesting to see Alex Turner grow up(?) in front of our eyes, I saw them when their first album came out and they were just kids who looked like they climbed out of the audience on stage and just rocked for an hour, sheepish smiles at the attention. Now Alex is full on pantomine at times lol.. I don't mind it though, I personally think the guitarwork and song structures on the first couple of albums was much more creative and unique back then but they still have great songwriting.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw them yesterday at Spandau's Zitadelle and it was amazing. They are a fantastic live act. Plus: They are one of the few bands that can afford to play their early stuff during the main body of the gig and play three new tracks as an encore without coming across as oddly sequenced. I guess that means they've got quite catalogue;)

Marko L., mindgames and seaisletim like this.
  8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

9/10 songs from the new album, only 2 from the record-breaking iconic debut. That's says a lot indeed.

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, that their new album is infinitely superior to their overrated debut.

10. Neonbeam

Their debut may be many things but "overrated" certainly isn't one of them. When it came out in 2006 it was a really important album, cementing Alex Turner's status as voice of his generation.

MarkO, detroit muscle and mindgames like this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

True, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Or they're appealing to the casual fans that jumped on within the last couple of albums [see the Black Keys latest setlists]. I don't know. I only really like their last 2 albums, myself.

13. Neonbeam

I didn't say that and I totally believe that AT and AM have constantly gotten better over the years. But I wouldn't call the debut "overrated";)

14. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

I don't know AM only has gotten a few spins from me. Its a pretty good record but I got bored of it quickly. It has none of the energy and excitement of their debut which I
    consider their best.

15. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Nah, it's a relevant, current band who doesn't have to fill their sets with the favourites from the early days. They aren't even playing many of their biggest hits or best songs, and when a classic will come back for one special occasion, like at the instant sold out Finsbury Park weekend for 100,000+ people across the weekend, it's ever poignant:

Or this song, during the arena tour last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71wk-KNr2l0

seaisletim likes this.
  16. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Thanks for that! A Certain Romance has always been a favorite of mine. Matt Helders drumming in the intro always gets my blood pumping.

That people are arguing whether their first album or their last album are best should tell us all something in itself

17. Neonbeam

That they've only got two albums out yet? :targettiphat:

18. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

It's difficult for me to discern whether you have no idea about which you speak or if you've just got a lame sense of humor

19. Neonbeam

Let me put it this way: I've been visiting their concerts since 2005;)

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I feel the exact opposite on this one: AM has grown and grown on me to the point that I no longer think Blur were the last great British rock band, but would add Arctic Monkeys to the pantheon. I hate to reduce everything to "is this as good as the great songs of the 60s and 70s," but, yeah, "Number One Party Anthem" and pretty much every other song on this record is that good.

mindgames and seaisletim like this.
  21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think Turner is in fact the voice of his generation, but, outside of "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor," I don't think the debut begins to capture his talent and the band's talent. I think they took a massive leap forward on Favourite Worst Nightmare.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  22. I can't wait to see what they do next and what they do over the next decade.

23. serge

serge Forum Resident

sounds too much like the last couple of Black Keys albums...

I like the Black Keys but this is just too much like it! its uncanny

24. Neonbeam

I don't think "AM" sounds anything like Black Keys. Which I never really could stand btw. Whatever people think "AM" was (;))... the root of it is already there in the early Arctic Monkeys albums...

25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is a very good band and they are evolving as a better and better band and that's rare sometimes. I'd like to see the next album take a side step maybe and have more of a live feel, maybe someone like Ethan Johns could take the controls and put some raw rock n' roll to tape!

I don't think they sound like the Black Keys but there is a tune or two that has that feel on the new one. They used the same guy, Tchad Blake, do do the mixing so there's a small common denominator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.