Are 80s Led Zeppelin CDs really better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SOONERFAN, Jan 9, 2010.

1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Did I miss something? Physical Graffiti isn't out yet right?

2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I like them pretty good. They're my go-to for Zeppelin and have got all of them, including Coda.

Have a couple 94's - IV and Houses and there seems to be far more concentration put on making the packaging similar to how the old albums were while the sound is either goosed up or has some kind of OP-ER going on.

However, the 2014 I, II and IV are pretty damn good as well. I'm looking forward to PG to see how that stacks up to the Diament.

3. lonecoyote25

lonecoyote25 New Member

Thanks for the answers. I think all three versions are OK but I prefer (well done) remasters. I just can't decide which one to get. Sometimes I like the 2014 remaster and sometimes I don't. The opening groove on When the Levee Breaks is thinner, less powerful on the 2014 remaster than on any other version, for example. I can't choose. (Same problem as with Floyd: Sax or Guthrie?)

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yeah Levee again still sounds off. The 90/94's the drums sounded all wrong and your comment on the 2014 is right on the nose. I still greatly prefer the original CD or better a good vinyl rip for that track. Figures my favorite Zep tune no remaster gets even remotely correct :sigh

You are 100% correct however there is a mastered for a lossy mastered for itunes version. I have heard some of it and I did not think it sounded better than the original but I don't own them to comapare. Not to sound like an elitist but I won't purchase lossy of anything.

rcsrich likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

I couldn't agree more. :sigh:

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I don't want to sound harsh, but you made an assertion from what you read here instead of listening by yourself, and you got it wrong. That's a bit insulting to those who painstakingly listen and compare all the different versions.

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Wow I must be the only one who likes the new remasters version of Levee!

tmtomh likes this.
  8. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Adam9 likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

10. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Doesn't sound different to you? ;) It was my understanding that sharing clips much over a minute was frowned upon, so...

11. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

The mastering is supposed to be better on the Diament-mastered ones. I have not heard any of these, only the 1990s remasters and then the newest 2014 remasters. I have LZ and LZII on the 2014 remasters and HOTH and PG on the 1990s remasters. I have a few of the original LPs also. They all sound good to me.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you change the EQ?

13. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Just a bit. ;) I'm pretty sure most people won't be pleased with it, but I like it. Hehe

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Oh, it definitely sounds different (though not for the better in my personal opinion). Just was curious what you'd changed.

15. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Are 80s Led Zeppelin CDs better?

No, the songs are pretty much the same. ;)

16. _Shorty

_Shorty Forum Resident

Like I said, I'm pretty sure most people won't be pleased with it. ;) I actually match the EQ of all the old rock in my collection to this track by The Crystal Method, and to me it all sounds much better afterwards. Anything with incredibly weak low end, and high end for that matter, sounds much more to me like something I'd hear in the jam room. Whether or not anyone besides me would like that is something I find irrelevant. Hehe. You should hear how *good* The Ocean sounds. :)

edit:
    Fire up foobar2000 and use the ABX utility to compare.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12102921/The.Ocean.flac
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12102921/The.Ocean.EQ.flac

I find the original (which is the 2014 version, but they all share enough of the same characteristics to make my skin crawl) has waaaaaaay too much midrange making it all sound screechy and horrible, as if I all of a sudden had about 10x as many midrange drivers in my speakers as woofers and tweeters. I can't stand it, which I'm sure most here would say about my change. But I crank mine up to how loud it is in a jam room with a band and, to me at least, it sounds similar to being in the jam room with the band. I listen to the unchanged copy and I've never heard drums sound that weak, or guitar sound that nothing-but-midrange wimpy. With my changes, I hear drums that sound like drums, cymbals that sound like cymbals, guitars that sound like guitars played through an amp, all within 20 feet of me. And, yes, having been in that situation with many a garage band (plus who knows how many concerts) is probably why my hearing is bad enough to like the changes I made. hahahah :)

edit: Although, bad hearing or no, I wouldn't trade how I've made the low end sound for anything. When a kick drum thumps, it should THUMP! With the original cranked up there's barely anything there. With mine, it kicks you like a kick drum. And you can feel the bass guitar like you should feel a bass guitar.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  17. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

:-popcorn: Here we go. Here is my 2 cents Mother Ship sounds terrible compared to The Early Days and Latter Days compilations.

18. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

You mean they are Mastered_Right.

Master_It_Right likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You are not the only one. :)

johnny q and HotelYorba101 like this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I think he was referring to his opinion of the Mastered For Itunes versions of the entire Zep catalog that popped late 2012 - those are the Davis remasters so we can guage how Graffiti sounds even before the physical releases come out. Quobuz later offered them in lossless incidentally. Anyway....PG sounds fabulous.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

When is PG coming out? My favorite Zep album!

22. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Your man at the record store asked me why I wasn't buying the newly remastered HOH and was buying an old copy of the cd. :)

23. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Is it better than the last remaster? I can't recall who did the last one. I bought a 2-CD copy of PG about a year ago. Does the new remaster sound better than that? I was happy with LZ and LZII compared to the older discs.

24. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Yes, the remaster of Physical Graffiti is miles above the previous CD copies. A must have!

tmtomh, Evan L and johnny q like this.
  25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Love it!

tmtomh likes this.