Are monster digital cables worth the $

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I am looking for interconnect cable to go from my DVD player video out to my tv input. I have the three color/cable configuration. Will any interconnect do for this or should I look for digital cable. Monster cable etc.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You're using progressive scan to your TV (Red, Blue, Yellow) or are you using the Left/Right and Yellow-video?

For DVD, you're better off using S-Video if you can and analog inputs.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use analog inputs with my DVD player and everything else as only the digital cable box and DVD player have S-Video inputs and the only optical output is on my CD/MD combo deck and can't use it with my setup. After all, analog connections are the best connections.

4. Tullman

I am using progressive scan (red, blue, and yellow). I have s video on my older dvd player which works well, but I am told for progressive scan that using the three video outputs is superior to s video.

5. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Tullman, though the component cables appear similar to regular audio cables, they are not the same. Component cables need to be 75 Ohm. Well-made component cables use 75 ohm RCAs also-- not everyone out there selling component cables does this. Personally, I feel that all of the Monster Cable products are under-engineered (even the insanely expensive stuff) and over-marketed.

Go here to see some cables which are reasonable AND uses the proper cable and RCAs. I've never used these folks --I make my own wire-- but their pricing seems very good.

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Be sure to check your owner's manuals for your TV and DVD player! On some, connecting both the S-video cable and Component video cables at the same time disables the progressive scan capability of the player. If you want the best possible picture don't connect the s-video cable. The component (analog) connections are the only ones with enough bandwidth for the improved 480p resolution. You may also have this problem with your television set: plugging in both S-video and component into the same input selection (Video 1 e.g.) may disable the Progressive/HD display of the set.

IMO, monster cables are very good and they pass a clean signal. I know there are better ones, but the esoteric stuff isn't available where I live. I couldn't believe the difference when I replaced my old phono interconnections with Monster cable, it was like I had a new turntable!

7. Tullman

I have no intention of connecting both component and s-video cables. Thanks for the advice everyone.

8. BradOlson

We also sell audio cable for ridiculously low prices at NorthernLightFX and what we don't have in stock or can't order, if we have the parts, we can make the cable for you.

9. BradOlson

My phono interconnections are built in to the turntable but they are quality interconnections though.

10. Tullman

That Beldon stuff looks very interesting. It is about 20% less than the Monster. Like Claus, I have never been that impressed by Monster. I feel like the consumers are paying for all of the advertisement costs.

cbsolson, Do you sell the Beldon stuff?

11. BradOlson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.