Are The Doors reissues & live albums "finished"?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

just wondering if its the end of the road now Ray is no longer with us?

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I hope not. I really liked the Bright Midnight releases that I have heard

fitzysbuna likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Pretty much. There will likely be a couple additional releases spread out over time like a revised Matrix set, some sort of package with the London Fog tape, and possibly a DVD set for the 1970 Isle of Wight performance; but other than that, the days of frequent live releases via BMA seem to be pretty much over.

jsayers and DrBeatle like this.
  4. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

There are live concerts still available to be released, whether you call them BMA or not doesn't really matter. Matrix, Fog, Seattle, IOW & Bakersfield all are available to put out. Stockholm also a possibility.

Fullbug and vonwegen like this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I'd love to hear less from '70, which they've pretty much done to death, and some earlier stuff. The two Stockholm shows, the Roundhouse gigs, London Fog, updated Matrix, etc. I'd take it all!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

The Doors have never confirmed if they have access to the Stockholm masters, or if those master tapes even exist. If they released Stockholm, it would be likely sourced from the bootleg. Seattle '70 is shambolic; can't imagine Jampol allowing it to be released (unless it was offered as a download -- but he has been promising downloads since 2005, so no one should hold their breath). Ray pulled the Bakersfield release; will Dorothy allow its release? Do they have the Roundhouse gigs on soundboard? Matrix and the Fog are likely the last of the audio CDs. Isle Of Wight will likely be a DVD release down the road at some point. The well is dry. Of course, there are collectors who have soundboards (a handful of '67 tapes exist), but The Doors will never get access to them.

Fullbug, Buda and DrBeatle like this.
  7. DrBeatle

Well, the Boston shows were Jim at his drunkest and they released those...why hold back on Seattle then? :laugh: As for SBDs in the hands of collectors, you're right about that and sadly that's how it goes with these things. There's also the rumored SBD of the final show ever, in New Orleans in December 1970. By all accounts, a miserable show with Jim having a breakdown onstage, forgetting lyrics and melodies, and smashing the mic stand through the floor. Still, as a historical document I wouldn't complain if we somehow ever got to hear it (if it even truly exists...)

Christopher B and vonwegen like this.
  8. Pats Radio

Just curious, if somebody had a soundboard of a show why wouldn't they make a deal with the Doors? So it can rot in a closet? It doesn't make any sense at all. And yes, the Doors would buy it at a reasonable price.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm not holding my breath on all of these rumored releases or a big 50th anniversary dump. They seem more interested in Jim Morrison necklaces these days.

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

After thin sounding SACDs AND the painfully bright "Weird Scenes" CD reissue, I'd say the days of good sounding Doors CD releases are behind us. Hope I'm wrong.

More blu-rays please...

11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I've heard about the '67 soundboards that are rumored to exist (Avalon Ballroom, Eagles Auditorium, etc). In regards to unheard live material by the Doors, IMO, they are the ultimate Holy Grail. When you say that the Doors will never get access to them, is it a case of the owners aren't interested in selling and never were or Doors' management burnt to many bridges?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Fullbug likes this.
  12. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

It certainly is frustrating. I wish both sides would be more reasonable.

vonwegen likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

Not true. Danny threatened tape holders for possessing stolen property. Jampol apparently has only offered to 'partner up' with tape-holders. By many accounts, The Doors have not offered to pay for tapes at a reasonable price.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

They will find something for the 50th anniversary!

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Probably not. I am sure there is more material lurking out there somewhere. As long as there are fans, they will continue to buy it.

16. PacificOceanBlue

My understanding is that the band's management burnt too many bridges. And of course, let's not forget that tape holders often have a warped sense of what the real value is for tapes.

17. Pats Radio

They bought the Matrix tapes. Also, why wouldn't somebody want to partner up with the Doors anyways? It's all bonus money. It beats collecting **** from a closet. Holding them makes ZERO sense. Stupid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nah.

19. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Studio wise, the '99s are excellent. Cheap too. Do we really need more?

As far as concerts go, that of course is another story.

DrBeatle likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i hope not

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

There is still to be re-issued the two Jim less albums and theer is live video from that period as well OGWT etc which could make a nice package.

22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The two Jim-less albums came out as a two-fer with bonus tracks.

Only problem...... they're on a single disc. Both albums alone could not fit on a single disc, let alone bonus tracks, so those things have to be sped up LIKE CRAZY.

23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

That makes 6 possible individual releases, not bad.
    Add New Orleans. The tape is more than a rumor. Now there is proof that it does exist. Another thing is the band buying it, which I doubt but hope so.
    Jampol said that they wer "working on" Stockholm, which of course is unclear if they were working on proper tapes or a deal to get the masters.
    The LA Woman complete sessions box set is another option.
    The guys howevere seem to have concentrated in the video vault in the last years. Feast of Friends was superbly restored, but is a bore to watch with no real audio. Mostly all of the footage had been previously used in other video clips.

24. DrBeatle

There's an awful lot of proof that the New Orleans tape does indeed exist...I'm convinced of it, in fact. Go to thedoorsguide.com and you'll find info there including images of the tape, box, set list written on cards, an a write-up on how it's almost certainly the real deal. The fellow who has it has been saying for years that he wants to get it into the hands of the Doors, yet here we are in 2015 and so far, nothing...

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

The 2 jim less albums have never been released in cd by the band

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.