Are there any good DACs for <3k that do streaming as well?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eb24, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Correct, you won't lose anything.

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Well it does depend on a few things. Is the signal through the DAC from USB or Streaming from music server or online music, into same DAC, going into analog out or digital out? All out puts aren't created equal...one can sound analog and one can sound digital. It depends on the DAC and processing... on how you have the signal manipulated. What type of filtering or no filtering at all can render the same songs through the same dac to sound different. There's lots of factors.

I'm no expert, far from it.....just a guy who's been in this from the 70's and heard and tried a lot of gear different ways.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

but the auralic is not "in the £6k band" ...

Robert C likes this.
  4. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

do you know why a streamer is desired?

Steamers will bypass the dreaded USB input of your dac. USB is bad compared to REDNET, DDS and Streamers.

the whole point of going with a streamer is to allow the best input available for your dac which is likely AES/EBU/coaxial/ SPDIF.

USB is very problematic and very few designers have been able to minimize the USB problems hence in recent years the interest in using device such as DDC or Streamers or REDNET

here some reading material:
    AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
    REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box

5. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

my recommendation is get a separate streamer and separate DAC. much better upgradibility and likeley better performance for the money,

Schiit Yggdrasil would be my choice for best value for money for dac

im very interested in the streamer the buggy zotac. this reviewwer find it the equal of his aurender for 5 time less money
    Euphony Buggy/Zotac

money is not a problem? get the new PS audio DAC + transport
    PS Audio Directstream DAC and Directstream Memory Player

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

As a matter of interest, what's wrong with an Oppo Sonica DAC? I don't own one, but it's a streamer & DAC ... and so much cheaper than some of the suggestions here that in o/p's position I'd be inclined to give it a go.

7. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

GoldprintAudio and murphythecat like this.
  8. You might as well start playing records again :tiphat:

Kyhl and murphythecat like this.
  9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You are correct. However, it was Robert Zombie, not the OP, who suggested there was nothing worthwhile until you hit the £6,000 range. I happen to think he's not right about that at all, and provided specific examples that I think prove my point. The OP, on the other hand, stated that he's interested in spending something south of £3,000 and that's where all my suggestions live. The Simaudio Moon Ace is excellent and the Auralic Altair is excellent. Lumin's competitive offering is also excellent. All three units offer TIDAL, Spotify, nearly flawless DLNA/UPnP compatibililty, and much, much more.

I should add Naim's dedicated DAC/streamers too, but I haven't auditioned any of the them for long enough to recommend one over the other. The Naim NDX was wonderful for the brief time I had it, and at £2,995 or less (including the DAB/FM module these days), it competes head to head in sound quality with the three units mentioned above. A delightful combination of the DAC V1 and the Naim DAC does the heavy lifting, a pair of DACs that I particularly like.

10. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Why not look at a Raspberry Pi with the HiFiBerry Digi+ add-on board feeding whatever DAC you already have via coaxial or optical? You can pick up the Pi and the Digi+ for ~$100, buy yourself a lifetime subscription to Roon (or install any number of other DLNA players), and you're set.

Bubbamike likes this.
  11. Slippers-on

I was in a shootout with the PS Audio Directstream and the Lampizator 7 going head to head. Both are excellent with the Lampi being a bit more aggressive in nature. I love them both, but Lampi seems to break down more so than anything it seems.

murphythecat likes this.
  12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

As robertzombie said, "No you won't" lose anything. The point of using a network streamer/DAC like the Auralic Altair is that its native TIDAL app and direct network connectivity (via Ethernet or WiFi) let you connect to your computer (if that's where your music is stored) and connect directly to TIDAL via the Auralic's built-in TIDAL app, all using the Auralic iOS or Android apps which are very. very well designed. You don't actually need your desktop or laptop for anything besides music file storage. The Auralic implementation of all this is quite brilliant.

The Simaudio Moon Ace implementation is second best, because the iOS and Android control app, while good, is not quite as great as the Auralic app. The LUmkin app implementation is also very good.

At this level of device quality, the DACs are all excellent, the initial setup is very well sorted, the networking is stable and reliable, and the feature and functions lists are extensive. You really can't go wrong with any of the hardware. I think rather that it's all about the control apps to a very great extent.

13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Absolute no brainer. is audio Neo 280D with MiND option. $2800. Nothing close.

http://www.simaudio.com/en/product/63-streaming-dsd-dac.html

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

@Archimago found some kinks in his review. Probably due to the fact that it's only £700. Remember, the thread title asks "are there any good DACs for <3k that do streaming as well". There's an implication there.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I guess, but I'd have thought that there's intense competition in both the streamer & the DAC fields so you'd expect prices to be under continual pressure. When I look at the reviews for the Audioquest Dragonfly Red I kind of regret buying a DAC that cost way more only a few years back.

16. eb24

eb24 Active Member Thread Starter

A lot of good suggestions above, thanks.

I am still not clear on the high level question though - do I even need a streamer. I could see two arguments for it: (1) convenience and (2) sound quality
    1. convenience: Doesnt actually apply because I can just plug my macbook into the DAC and control the laptop via (e.g. spotify) app.
    2. sound quality: there is some disagreement here. some say sound qual is better when the digital signal doesnt have to go via laptop and USB cable e.g. @murphythecat ; some say it doesnt matter @robertzombie

if not worthwhile sound qual wise I will just go with a USB DAC and save me some sweet €£$

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The answer is that there are many DACs under £3,000 that do streaming just fine. Simplest solution is to spend a couple of hundred on a DAC that suits your design and usage requirements, then go to Curry's and buy a Chromecast Audio and a digital cable.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

That's not what you wrote originally. Have you changed your position after being criticized repeatedly??

19. Slippers-on

Ive buddies with some high powered dacs. The Lampzator Golden gate is connected to a audiophile music computer (fancy way of saying a computer that's got upgraded audiophile grade parts through and through). He uses USB. Output is analog into his Tube Research "The Dude preamp". Sound is excellent! That Golden gate DAC cost over $10k. Preamp like wise. Like I said sound is excellent. Sounds better that he added signal regeneration from computer into DAC. The Regen cost less than $ 200. If you use a computers internal dac and USB.... chances are the better DACs will clean the jitter and noise up but a regenerator won't hurt, I would warn to get a good reclocker/regenerator which are not expensive at all. They clean things up for you. Listen..... get out and try it.... that's part of the fun in this hobby. There are lots of online help to teach you how to turn your computer into an audiophile music server. If you have a computer with all your files.... and a good app to use like Roon HQ Player or Jriver and are able to share your music through out your house..... DLNA, even with some online music sites, then to go out and buy a streamer for that same reason is over kill. Turn your computer into an audiophile computer/server for little money. Don't listen to nay Sayers....I get excellent quality sound out of my music computer into the Marantz down in my 2 channel room. I run all DSD when I'm not listening to vinyl. I also use that same computer to stream throughout my home wirelessly..... even into my family rooms home theaters DAC and the sound is excellent! Save your money buying more music if you don't need to buy a dedicated streamer.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You guys are a tough crowd. I was merely highlighting the absurdity that it would take £3,000 to achieve good quality streaming.

rodentdog, Rolltide and Brother_Rael like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

He was being ironic. Yes, he was.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It's an absurdity to think that on a website like this, with a supposedly informed audience...!

Robert C likes this.
  23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yggy, Microrendu, and a Roon sub and you are rockin!!!

24. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Change the Microrendu for a SOTM sMS-200 and save a couple hundred, same end result.

25. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Or install the Roon core on a Raspberry Pi and save a few hundred dollars more.

paddycook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.