Are there Philly-isms that we can explain for youse guys not from Philly?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimac51, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast. Thread Starter

I have a birthright in starting this thread as I was born in a Philadelphia hospital. I was raised in the Philly suburbs,a child of the '50s & '60s. Lots of visits to the regular tourist spots,lots of rides on buses,trolleys & subways,lots of visits to the center city record stores,a summer selling popcorn at Phillies(baseball) games,almost a Temple University student(accepted but made a different choice) and,if I had a time machine and some dough,might have lived there. I've often described myself as a pasty white boy from the Philly suburbs with no co-ordination. I could never hit the curve ball. In street basketball,I was always the guy the other side had to take when choosing sides. But,after a snowstorm, we cleared off the school outside courts before sidewalks.
    But I digress.This thread is to help youse guys about Philly-isms in music and culture. Hopefully,others will chime in and arguments will make for an interesting thread. Arguments are a Philly institution.
    More than a few music folks from Philly. Cameo-Parkway artists. Philadelphia International. Swan Records. Mario Lanza,Al Martino,Frankie Avalon,Bobby Rydell, the Nazz,Hall & Oates. Old Bandstand videos. Listening to Jerry Blavat on da radio down da shore.(The geator with heater.Often packing his own "heater"-a gun affiliated with the Mob.)Please,no Bill Cosby stuff. He sold lots of records in his prime,but should be considered persona non grata for obvious reasons.
    So,to start.
    Those Nazz fans from far away may not know what is a "tuna fish hoagie",as in:"Hi,were the Nazz from Philadelphia,home of the tuna fish hoagie",the intro to Loosen Up. A tuna fish hoagie is a sandwich made from a long,crusty roll,filled with tuna fish salad(often filled with an ice cream scoop),lettuce,tomato, onion(might be in the prepared salad,some may want more). Lots of other condiments may fill this up,but know that they are not subs or grinders-they are H O A G I E S. Should be consumed fairly quickly;less than three hours. A complete meal would include a Tastykake-a snack food,usually a baked item-butterscotch krimpets, Tandy Kakes(aka Kandy Kakes),4 oz. pies and ,since a takeover,include crap like donuts,pies with sugary filling,but little fruit and other stuff with a long shelf life. The drink-Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak-a soft drink,still packaged under that name yet pretty pricey via Amazon($95 for a case of 24/12oz.cans). Around here(Lehigh Valley) A-Treat sodas would be a financially stable substitute.
    When ordering a cheese steak-same hoagie roll(maybe longer) filled with fried thin ribeye beef and mixed with cheese,know that "cheesesteak wid "includes onions and,if substituting real cheese for processed Velvetta-like stuff in a jar,that stuff is Cheez Whiz. Just ask for "wit wiz".Invented in 1952,as I began to walk and talk. My Mom often said it was invented just for me.
    A summer dessert would be Italian water ice,- water,crushed fruit juice,like cherry or lemon,(keep the cherry skins in),sugar and frozen to a slushy mix.Pronounced "wooder ice",often consumed while sitting on steps in from a house,referred to as a "stoop".
    Next up-"Yo." Not the Spanish "I",but meaning a greeting,like "Hello". If Lionel Richie was from Philly,that Hello song would start:"YO. Yuze lookin' fo' me?"
    A grammar hint: Any word ending in "ing" automatically loses the "g". Laughing-laughin'. Going-goin'.
    A nearby vacation spot is the Jersey Shore,but know that wherever your town,you are" goin' down da shore."
    Recent Super Bowl champs are not "the Eagles",but "de Iggles. ,or simply" d'iggles". I don't know how real Fluffyans would pronounce the rock band with the same name,as I know no one from Philly that would listen to that cra...er,music. AFAIK,the Dude,while always abidin', has no Philly roots. Oh,and there you go-another true Philly music group-the Roots. Da Roots.

Bob F, bumbletort, sami and 19 others like this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"The Nazz Are Bluefin"

[​IMG]

John Bliss likes this.
  3. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Apart from the obvious, what differentiates a Hoagy from a Sub?
    Or is it just a local name - like in the UK a (bread) roll down South is a 'bread cake' up North (well, Leeds. Maybe other places)

sheffandy and ianuaditis like this.
  4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

5. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

So just a regional name variant then?

First subs I ever had were in Boston in 1981, and sub is what they called em.
    Good food.

intv7 likes this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Tell us what MFSB really stands for. :D

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Where do all the hippies meet?

8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

This is going to become a forum meme, isn't it?

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Subway - "Any way you want"... I don't understand. The one time I visited a Subway and asked for it to be buttered I was almost thrown out?

mark winstanley, Fullbug and Keith V like this.
  10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

What's a "geator?"

11. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

How can something be both water and ice?

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

With all due respect a Cuban sandwich is not just another name for a sub/grinder. It is a specific type of sandwich with it's own bread, meat, specific condiments, and cooking method. And it truly rocks.

13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Cheeze Whiz on a sub. I know what it is. I just don't know why.

14. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Comes with a heater.

Bob F, krock2009, JoeRockhead and 3 others like this.
  15. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Skol.

16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Possibly named after an island in the Delaware River, Hog Island where the workers ate large, stuffed sandwiches on a long roll.

17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I can't explain "JAWN" :shrug:

dennis1077 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

How about a cheesesteak 'wid' or widout'?

Musically, how about Charlie Gracie?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

We know what Black Cherry Wishniak is, and what bridge is the Benny.

Really cool people know who 'BP with the GM' is

Anything south of Atlantic City aka 'A-Cee' is 'da shore'.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    shirleyujest and joejoe like this.
  20. 'Youse guys', is it plural and possessive or just one and not the other depending on inflection?

We also need to show 'mofo' being used as a greeting, an adverb, and an adjective.

Where did all the Converse sneakers on the telephone lines/wires go?

Fullbug and ianuaditis like this.
  21. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

Great post. Was pulling into Suburban when I initially read it.

'Wit wiz' should actually be reversed.

22. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

Also like to add that outside of an f-bomb, jawn is the most flexible word round these parts...

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yo!

This is cute, and mostly correct, but po'boys, cubans, and grinders are definitely distinct objects and would not be called "hoagies" in Philly.

ObPhilly: Parkway Records

Sneaky Pete, SG47 and JoeRockhead like this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Easy: "wudder", not "water".

25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

That's "BP with the GM"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.