Are There Too Many Superhero Movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't see every one of them. I watched a few minutes of "Green Hornet" and that was enough. I did see the new "SpiderMan" a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised by it. I will eventually see "Dark Knight Rises". But, now I read a new "Superman" is on the way for next year. I guess Hollywood will never stop making them as long as they make money. But, it just seems like there are too many superhero movies. Anyone else getting burnout?

2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yes. I'm really tired of the whole genre. And I have a feeling that it's ruining some people for other types of movies that aren't cgi mania combat orgies.

audiomixer, apileocole and townsend like this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

there are too many that are too dark and dreary for me--I hate that they all have to have that "dark undercurrent" crap in them-no fun-plus they really seem to be in that movie-two sequels-reboot neverending formula...

benjaminhuf and apileocole like this.
  4. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I think so. It's not surprising though... the folks in Hollywood seem to have forgotten how to create something new. It seems like the vast majority of movies are either remakes of old (or not-so-old) movies, sequels or based on old television shows or comic books.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Yeah, once they run the whole gamut of common colors, I expect they will make a movie entitled "The Canary Yellow Lantern" or something of the ilk.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I enjoy the DC Animated movies quite a bit. I haven't seen all of the live action films but eventually I'll get to it. I do feel they can stop re-booting the Superman and Batman stories though. Let's just get on to those two being super heroes and not becoming one over and over again. The writers of these things need to find a good balance of action and humor without it being corny.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Right on!

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Read David Denby's new book Do the Movies Have a Future? He makes some very strong arguments about the ongoing trend for movie series, comic book movies, and movies that "blow things up real good," vs. realistic films about relationships, human beings, and intimate stories. Very sobering look at a complex industry.

IronWaffle and benjaminhuf like this.
  9. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Yes. They all have the same exact plot too. I sometimes like to watch them and some are really good (Batman, Watchmen) but I think Hollywood has beaten this horse to death.

10. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I am still waiting for Aquaman

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not yet, because I'm pretty picky. Son's GF brought over the Avengers, lost interest quickly, finished it on fast forward.
    Tonight, I look forward to The Dark Knight Rises.
    I'm pretty good at ignoring things (and people) I'm not interested in, I'm aware I'm not the only one on the planet.

12. marke

marke Forum Resident

Never. As a kid I desperately wanted movies to be made of Hulk, Fantastic Four, X Men, Thor etc. The last decade has been like a smorgasbord for me. Not all the movies have been great but Spiderman 1 and 2, the X Men films, the Batman trilogy, Iron Man and Avengers have been fantastic. Keep 'em coming!

13. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

There's been too much of the wrong superheroes, to be honest. Too many second-tier superhero films.

The Dark Knight Rises wraps up one of the best Superhero trilogies out there. As for the new Superman film, it is long overdue for a good new Superman film. It has been decades since we had a good one and the last one was still part of the Reeves' Superman franchise.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought there was a Superman after the Reeve years?

15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I wouldn't mind comic-book movies so much if they didn't keep restarting the same franchises over and over and over.

16. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Yeah, it was still part of that same series. Superman Returns was an alternate sequel to Superman 1 and 2 ignoring Superman 3 and 4.

They restart the wrong ones (Spiderman was restarted way too soon) while others like Superman should have been restarted instead of dragging on the Reeve series decades after it ended.

17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Yes. As much as I loved many of the DC superheroes as a kid, I can no longer tolerate any sort of comic book film. There are so many with the same old ****. Nowadays, any superhero movie automatically goes on my "no need to see" list. I saw Watchmen on cable, and parts of the first film of the Batman reboot, but those were my last attempts. Nothing in the genre for me anymore.

Edit: Wait a sec... Do Bluntman and Chronic count? :D

discreplayboss likes this.
  18. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Yes. Terrible

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no way, no how...I love them. I'd like more!

20. If they are good movies, I have no problem with superhero movies. Nolan's Batman trilogy might be the best constructed modern trilogy of films. I do think some of the newer Marvel movies seem to be coming off an assembly line now, catering to a lower and lower denominator with each passing movie. I have high hopes for Superman: Man Of Steel, but we shall see how much the studio interferes with it.

21. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

As long as they keep making hundreds of millions of dollars, the answer is no.

22. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yes, too many ! Instead of mostly bland superheroes popcorn movies (exceptions Watchmen, Batman, Spiderman ) they should adapt other (not superheroes) great comic book series in a way that "The Walking Dead" did

23. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

Are there too many superhero movies? Are there too many romantic comedies? Are there too many indie-slacker movies? Are there too many male buddy movies?

There is just a shortage of really good movies....and the superhero category is by nature meant to attract a large audience, so when they don't live up to the hype it feels more disappointing (are you listening Green Lantern).

As far as i am concered, they can make and release 5 bad superhero movies, if it also produces one The Dark Knight Rises. I don't have to watch the bad ones......

agentalbert likes this.
  24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

If there were no comic book movies, sequels, prequels, remakes, animated features and 3D re-releases, there would be nothing on at the cinema! :(

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Roger Ebert uses that phrase quite often... occasionally it appears in a review of a movie he actually enjoyed, but more often than not, it's in the review of a mind-numbing piece of garbage like Transformers and other such dreck. Sadly, there will always be a mass market for movies where "stuff gets blowed up real good" as long as 90% of the film-going audience has the combined IQ of a grapefruit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.