Are these Powered Speakers (Insignia NS-HBTSS116) good for a turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Severin22, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Severin22

Severin22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm on a budget and was wondering if these are worth the hastle. Best Buy's Insignia Powered Bookshelf Speakers. I would hook them up directly to my Denon DP 300F. They have adjustable bass and treble which is a plus. I live in an apartment so I don't want to go too nuts with a huge sound system I don't need (someday, hopefully). However, I am concerned about picking up increased surface noise, sibilance, etc. Anyone have experience with these or other similar powered speakers?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-powered-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5283401.p?skuId=5283401

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Those are very low-end, Best Buy's house brand. I'd stay way. Might be okay for watching YouTube but not gonna be great sounding. Save money for something better or look at the used market.

3. Severin22

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They should be better but TBH I am not terribly impressed with AE speakers, especially for the price - though a lot of people here like them. For the same money you can buy an integrated amp and passive speakers and put together a system that will serve you better long term. I'd strongly recommend avoiding the powered speaker route if it all possible, unless you have a compelling reason to go that way. Space is not what I'd consider a compelling reason BTW - this is often brought up and I always say people need to use their space more efficiently and get a little audio rack instead of lining up everything horizontally. Nowadays there are also smaller integrated amps that take up less space.

One tip: if you decide to go with AE for some reason, check out their refurb section. The prices are a lot lower and the gear should be just fine. Recently I got a small portable DAC from them as a heavily discounted refurb.

5. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I actually own a pair. They are an astoninshing value, and often dip to $69 or lower. Their greatest attribute is soundstaging: these sound remarkably large, even beating some highly regarded "mifi" speakers in this regard. Treble is a touch soft, as is the bass, but Im nitpicking: what is there is extremely pleasant. I wouldnt be turned off by Insignia brand. These are made overseas like everything else, and BB simply slaps a name on it. They also imported a concentric model years back, that had a cult following.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. Severin22

I actually ended up buying a pair because I'm on a budget. They sound pretty good actually. And unlike the Audio Engines, you can have multiple devices hooked up to them at the same time. They are good for what they are.

7. Phasecorrect

Update: these appear to be a Micca clone, which was an internet/amazon "darling" when first introduced, at somewhat still is against some stiff competition. For all I know they might be made in the same overseas factory. Monoprice/Dayton are also leaders in this budget realm. At any rate they all share some similarities: silk tweeter with a 4" driver, in passive or powered BT options. Not designed for hardcore audiophiles, but for casual listening where above average performance is required. The Insignia dipped to $59 recently and I purchased another pair. As my earlier post stated, these sound much larger than appear, which is their greatest attribute. The powered Miccas still hover around $100 but do not have BT.

Severin22 likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd suggest something a little better, if you can get them - the Akai RPM500 actives.

You'll need to buy a separate phono preamp, but sound quality will be a step up. Heard a pair a year or so ago and was very impressed with the sound for the price paid.

Akai RPM500 Studio Monitor Speaker Review

9. Phasecorrect

I looked into those but they were always unavailable. Probably a "better" overall product, but better is a subjective term. As I mentioned, I'm a soundstage guy, and these Insignia sound HUGE. They really excel with live music in this regard. Baffling how good of sound one can obtain for peanuts. Answer: overseas production. Build quality/reliability always a bit suspect at this price point. However, the overall risk based on investment is low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.