Are You Experienced: US v. UK Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicolin, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist Thread Starter

Oddly enough, sometimes I forget that there were two pretty different versions of the great debut album by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. I love the US cover art so much and associate it with Jimi so much, for instance, it's hard to think that wasn't the "true" original/intended cover (which is the black one of the UK). It's even weirder to think that the track-listings differ so much! Which is detailed in the following for those who may not know (although here I'm sure there are plenty who do, perhaps even by heart!):

Side One/A
    1.) Foxy Lady (UK) / Purple Haze (US)
    2.) Manic Depression
    3.) Red House (UK) / Hey Joe (US)
    4.) Can You See Me (UK) / Love or Confusion (US)
    5.) Love or Confusion (UK) / May This Be Love (US)
    6.) I Don't Live Today
    Side Two/B
    1.) May This Be Love (UK) / The Wind Cries Mary (US)
    2.) Fire
    3.) Third Stone from the Sun
    4.) Remember (UK) / Foxy Lady (US)
    5.) Are You Experienced

* In short, the UK version has "Red House", "Can You See Me", and "Remember" unique to the album, whereas the US version has three UK singles specific to the US version: "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe" (their big UK hit), and "The Wind Cries Mary".

As is made obvious, the singles (A-sides) were left off of the UK version, yet replaced certain original UK version album tracks or interrupted their sequence for the US version (as anyone who knows understands was the common procedure at the time). Both track-listings seem to have their benefits. Both open with somewhat "similar" sounding songs with a similar effect. Red House both feels better sequenced after "Manic Depression" and out of place, since it's a very bluesy song and all. "Hey Joe", to me, definitely feels out of place on the (US) album, and I've always felt that way (even before I knew of the UK version to begin with!). The UK version is cool with the "B-sides"/album tracks specific to it rather than the "hits", but who doesn't love "The Wind Cries Mary" on the album ?!?

Anyway, it's perfectly understandable (and great), IMO, that the album was altered for America. Jimi really needed to make it there and solidify his re-entry into his native country, and 3 hits on the album obviously would help to achieve that goal, (never mind the slight re-sequencing of the mutually shared tracks and loss of 3 UK version tracks)

In my opinion, The UK version of the album is definitely more, or less, the definitive version. It was the original, and was most likely what The Experience intended (definitely what Chandler and the Management intended initially). You get his brilliant "Red House", and the spectacularly rousing "Can You See Me" (which truly is one of his best songs, imo), and "Remember" (more important than the song itself, is how much more of an impact the title track has after "Remember" rather than the US "Foxy Lady" 's sequence as the penultimate track!) But you miss out on the well-placed "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Haze" and "Joe" (which I'm sure people of the UK who didn't buy the singles missed out on...or not if they listened to the radio!).

As for the cover art, I definitely prefer the US right now. It's iconic over here, I have a PILLOW of it for crying out loud!, and...it just looks brighter and more vivid (it was '67 after all!). But, I will concede that I haven't yet seen a High Def picture of the UK original art (only the small crappy pic on Wikipedia) and I haven't seen a Vinyl copy of it, so I haven't seen it as it was originally released. If anyone could post a High-Def pic of it here (and the back cover art which I have never seen either) I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, discuss your thoughts here. Sound quality of all of this has already been discussed time and time again about this album on this forum, so leave that as your last priority. Which version do you like better? Which has the better track-listing, better cover art, back cover?. etc.

Let the discussions begin! :D

Library Eye and MonkeyLizard like this.
  2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I prefer the US tracklisting as it is the one that I knew first. "Remember" and "Can You See Me" are nice songs but I believe that it was wise for Reprise to drop them in favour of the singles. It's too bad that they dropped "Red House" tough.

3. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I think I remember reading that Jimi did have a say in the US track listing (and not in the UK one). Only Red House was dropped from the label because blues was not popular in the US (???). I love both track listing, depends on my mood. A bit more keen to the UK version. But hey, three killer singles on the US!!!

4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Are You Experienced

I bought a JH boxed set (French, Barclay) which had the European track listing. I later bought the US AYE. I like both versions but having Purple Haze on the US version is a definite plus. Can You See Me is a great song too.

Scott

Attached Files:

5. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

I prefer the US version for the Purple Haze opener alone.

A related issue is how to combine the different versions (and B-sides) on CD. The current official configuration ends the album with Red House, which is a great track but doesn't work well to me as a closer. The album really should close with the title track--I'm considering a rearrangement of the running order in my iTunes to satisfy this impulse...

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

For my money only the UK sounds like an actual album. It's hard not to consider that US version could have just been titled 'The Best of Jimi Hendrix.' I guess we should all be lucky that at least Reprise left the next two well enough alone.

Library Eye likes this.
  7. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

UK..
    red house, remember are great...can you see me and i dont live today i never liked...

im soo tired of hearing hey joe and purple haze....still love wind cries mary.

8. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Love the US on the psychadelic tip and the UK for its R&B vibe ... very different but both very satisfying IMHO

Library Eye likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The cd version that has
    the early singles followed
    by the UK album is the only
    way i want to hear these amazing songs

10. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I still have much love for the 1st UK Track version as it was Mono. It was a powerful dirty sound for a trio of guys. "Red House" was a guitarist showcase making it the unique icing for the UK version. The French Barclay LP has the great fidelity for the Mono AYE. The US Reprise added the element of stereo separation to one of the most daring debuts of all time. That raw guitar tone on "Purple Haze" in stereo has never been touched by another player. I love the version on the purple box. Some say it was a Telecaster?

11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

interesting, I just bought the 1989 P20P Japanese CD of this in Tokyo, and it has the UK version along with the cover art, which is great because I don't care if I ever hear Purple Haze, Hey Joe or Wind Cries Mary ever again...I'm not really aware of the differences but almost didn't buy it because I thought it had Purple Haze and Hey Joe on it (but it was so cheap I had to, 'cause it had the obi and I'm trying to complete the set)...The U.S. version was the only one I've ever heard back way 30 years ago, but I remember when I first heard the UK songs not on the U.S. version it was like a revalation, I love them more than the singles I've heard way too many times...so I guess I'll be hearing the original UK version for the first time real soon ! :cheers: On this CD there's an asterix only after Red House and Remember saying mono....I assume that's why in Japan there was that fat-boy Singles CD, to include the hits...?

12. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

i don't live today is on both versions... the UK version does sound more like an "album" but even after acknowledging 40+ years of radio overplay its difficult to argue remember/can you see me are better songs than purple haze/hey joe/wind cries mary.

13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

for me the us release showcased hendrix as a pop star while the uk release showcased him as an artist.the diversity of style on the uk album is stunning especially when they put remember inbetween 3rd stone and aye.axis bold as love seems to be a more logical progression when you hear the debut with its uk track listing.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Classicolin, here is a low def image of the back cover:

[​IMG]

I never play the US version which I always saw as a compilation for the American market.
    The UK version is "Are You Experienced" period (even though the US version is also a damn good album). As said above, "Purple Haze" is a great album opener but so is "Foxy Lady" (with no "e"!). I love that long feedback drone intro : there's a storm brewin' and here comes... Jimi Hendrix in yer face!

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I agree. I can't really knock the US version because clearly it contains a ton of stellar material, but I prefer the UK version as an actual album.

Library Eye likes this.
  16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

UK version is the real album. Cutting off Red House....what were these record execs on? Monkees, probably :).

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

+1... my sentiments exactly. :agree:

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suppose the original 'Experience Hendrix' reissue and the recent MOV vinyl version solves the dilema. You get the UK cover and tracks plus UK singles / USA alternative tracks on an additional disc. Personaly prefer the US cover and like the hits being included. However great tracks are missed of and the UK version is how the album was intended.

19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Senior Member

The US is the definitive stereo version, and the UK is the definitive mono version.

Both are must-haves.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Red House" wins it for the UK.
    We'd already heard "HJ" & "PH" on the AM radio.
    We didn't heard "RH" on the air till FM rock radio.
    All so, as much as I luv the US cover [looking at a McFarlane 3D cover on the desk right now], the UK was something I didn't even see till the mid-seventies. Therefore it's more unique, IMO.
    So, UK for me!

Library Eye likes this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The UK seems right to me, like a proper album. The US always seemed like a typical hatchet job, put the non albums singles on and cut some of the other tracks to increase sales. Not as bad as The Beatles albums.

I guess if it was all you knew it holds a special place in your heart and I admit it holds up quite well, but it doesn't seem right to us Brits.

22. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Prefer the US tracklisting and cover.

23. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I also prefer the US version - substitute "Red House" for "May This Be Love" and it's perfect.

Really never liked the UK cover, such an awkward pose, and the US cover fits the music so much better.

24. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I just wanted to say something about the track Remember. When I first heard that as a 14 year old wide eyed guitarist, I thought it was just such a wonderful listen. I took it to my guitar teacher and he said I'll show you how to play this but there are a lot of layers going on beneath what I'm showing you.

I never feel like my chops are sharper than when I can actually pull off Jimi's intro. This song is a guitar clinic -- was it filler on the lp? Probably, but so was May This Be Love and I think we get some of his finest playing in these two ...

25. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Scott, you may already know this but since you didn't mention (and for others who might not know)...the version of 'Are You Experienced' in this French box set is the UK Track MONO version, with a nicer mastering than the original UK (so I'm told...never heard an original UK mono).

This box can occasionally be found for cheap (I just got one for under $35 shipped), and it's a good way to find a clean 'Are You Experienced' in mono for a relatively low price.

See Raunchnroll's comments in this sale thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5339601&postcount=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.