Are you ready for a "Death Wish" remake with Bruce Willis?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Yes, but suburban chicago is not that much different

kevinsinnott likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Apparently it IS that much different! ;)

I'd assume all major metropolitan areas are pricey - but as noted, Phoenix is dirt cheap!

3. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Remake? If I could control time and action, there would be no make. And the idea has only gotten worse.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

When did they say that they knew that?

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The first time Paul Kersey went in to speak with the lead detective (Dean Norris).

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw this Friday (had to drive a few extra miles to another cinema complex since the complex I go to all the time still didn't get it in.) I have to say that this movie is much better that what the reviews suggest. Of course there are major differences between this version and the original, but the basic story is the same. This one, obviously, is modernized regarding social media with things getting posted on the internet via cell phone videos, memes, etc. I think that was thrown in to suggest how modern society is so addicted to 24-hour social media and every little incident that happens gets posted on the internet by someone. Also, he's a doctor in this one and was an architect in the other one. Conveniently, since he's a doctor, he knows how to torture his victims, treat his own wounds, etc. Vincent D'Onofrio was good in his supporting role too, who plays Bruce Willis' out-of-work brother who is always asking for money. He comes across as a shady character at first but that all changes as the movie progresses.

Yep. I noticed that too.

Since there were no witnesses there are only 2 possibilities how they knew it:

Either

1. The mother or the daughter was still conscience when the paramedics arrived and said something (which I doubt.)

Or

2. The detectives saw the pan/pot on the floor and deduced they were cooking (stove still on, ingredients and cookbook on the counter) and one of them must've thrown it in the face of one of the bad guys (More likely scenario, but even that is questionable since both detectives were kind of idiots to begin with.)

Karnak and kevinsinnott like this.
  7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I think if it was #1, they would have told Kersey that they were still conscious when the first responders got there, which they didn't, and I don't buy off on #2...that would be quite a stretch. Maybe in an extended scene on a future DVD release it will become clear, but in a theatrical release, that was pretty sloppy/lazy storytelling. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie however.

8. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I admit I like Bruce Willis in most of his films. I saw Death Wish, mostly because Willis was in it, and I haven't seen the original. I saw it and found it pretty compelling filmmaking and an interesting story. I also felt the filmmaker did a good job of not presenting an easy answer. It's more thoughtful than I think critics some are giving it credit for. The film's observation seems to be there are reasons someone wants to take the law into their own hands, but it's fraught with problems, including obsession and the risk of one's own cruelty. Maybe because I see so few films like this I wasn't hardened to how extreme some of his behavior became. It's quite a bit like Liam Neeson's Taken, except in Taken he's a professional "agent", not a doctor, but I found the behavior, and potential objections to his taking the law into his own hands, ultimately similar.

There's an older film called Harry Brown starring Michael Caine that reminds me of this film as well, although Michael's character is older. If anything Caine is more open about his behavior being vigilante-based. This may not have bothered me as much since I'm used to Superman, Batman, Robin Hood and assorted characters doing this since seeing them as a child. The violence was graphic. A few times I couldn't look. Not sure how I feel about that in any of these more recent films.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Dudley Morris, LitHum05 and Karnak like this.
  9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Caught the matinee today. Decent modern vigilante flick that doesn't have much to do with the novels
    or the 1974 Charles Bronson version. Bruce was good, but about as convincing as a doctor as Bronson
    was as an architect (LOL). A couple unusual but realistic touches for this kind of film:
    1) Kersey's thumb injury caused his 'improper grip' when firing his Glock 19 at the carjackers.
    2) The 'stovepipe' jam of the same weapon during the liquor store shootout.
    My favourite part was the ultra-cool gun store...I've never seen anything like it in suburban Illinois
    (more like places I've visited in Texas and Florida). Not uptight at all.

Karnak likes this.
  10. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

You need to see the original. I think some of the ambiguities surrounding whether the protagonist goes too far in his violence is clear there. There is a particular episode there where Charles Bronson embraces being a peace-loving liberal whose heart “bleeds for the underprivileged.” Of course, once his family is attacked things start changing, but gradually. The original is a more subtle portrait of a man wrestling with himself.

Simon A, kevinsinnott and Lightworker like this.
  11. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, it does make me want to see the original. I'll probably let a little time pass as I'm still enjoying the aftertaste of this one. Again, I wasn't disappointed. I really liked the latest film. At some point I'm sure I'd see the original and read the book. Thank you for your insights.

LitHum05 likes this.
  12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

As the old saying goes, a conservative is a liberal who has gotten mugged.

Simon A, razerx and Dudley Morris like this.
  13. LitHum05

I was wondering where that line originally came from. Do you know? It has to predate the movie.

As for Bronson becoming conservative, I suppose that’s part of the point. But not conservative in that he’s now for all the GOP pet issues. I see it more as an understanding of the primal forces driving life. By contrast, the liberal Bronson saw violence as engineered strictly by poverty and disadvantage.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about other vendetta themed films?

15. LitHum05

I’m Dirty Harry, for example, Eastwood is angry from the start. No transformation there like in Death Wish.

eric777 likes this.
  16. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Bruce seems to have a-Death Wish for his movie career.

smilin ed and Dude111 like this.
  17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I prefer the original.....Have no interest in seeing this!

18. LitHum05

The first is better. But you can’t “prefer” one over another you haven’t seen. You “prefer” not to see it, you mean.

kevinsinnott and Karnak like this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The director opens the BD commentary saying it's not a remake, but rather a branding usage to draw in an audience too young to remember the 1974 original.

I enjoyed this film.

agundy and kevinsinnott like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

In other words a remake. Lol

Dude111 likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You obviously haven't seen it.

22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Sorry to threadcrap again... I am one of the few here who has actually seen it. It was simply Bruce Willis in a sort of remake of Death Wish. What do you expect? It was highly entertaining, I loved it, thank you all... :wave:

Karnak likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw it - and it was awful.

Can't say much about it without violating the "no politics" rule, but let's just say the movie's a love letter to a certain point of view...

Simon A and Dude111 like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love them all...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too! I love Bruce and I loved the original...they should make a franchise like they did with Charles Bronson!

willy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.