Aretha Franklin & Dennis Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chip-hp, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

My next favorite mastering engineer ... Dennis Drake ... mastered Time-Life's (Produced & manufactured by Warner Special Products) 2001 'Aretha Franklin Legends of Soul' (track list) which includes AF songs from '67 thru '85. Tracks 1, 2, 4, 7 and 14 are mono. The CD sounds very good to me. :)

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

chipster, agreed but based on the subject of your thread I thought you had some hot gossip for us.

mud-:D

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I never knew they were an item? Maybe they should open a family label or something...

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have "Never Loved A Man" on CD/Rhino, Mono, w/ a few STEREO mixes on the end. Except, I think Bill Inglot did it. Done very well... Hearing it in its natural mono mix is wonderful to have. I love it.

5. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

It's that Mud mind working overtime again. :)

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I'm thinking of replacing Dr. Phil.

mud-:D

7. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Thanks a bunch for the info. Way back i asked about the best sounding Aretha and no one recommended this. I am going to pick it up and appreciate the post.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm very comfortable when I see Dennis Drake is connected to a Cee Dee...many of my earlier favorites are mastered by him and like Steve's stuff they hold up well against the newer remasters!

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Ditto:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

An hour ago, I just bought Aretha Franklin- Greatest Hits. A 2 CD import with 40 something songs on it. I figured this is the best comp to get since the other U.S. comps were missing songs that I liked. This CD sounds like absolute crap too! It's a shame since it was only $ 21.99 at Best Buy.

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Is this the comp with Jumping Jack Flash on it?

mud-

12. bartels76

Yes it has Jumpin' Jack Flash. Should I return or am I being picky? I don't have anythiung to to compare it to. I don't any other Aretha CD's.

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

It's been awhile since I listened to it. Believe it or not I bought it for that track only. It's the only place where you can find JJF on cd (at least when I bought it 3-4 years ago?). Keith & Woody play on that tune.

mud-

14. bartels76

It's very hissy. But it has really good songs on it. It sounds like a snake has crawled into the tape decks when they mastered it. Maybe I'll burn it and send it back to Best buy and get my $$ back.

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

You would be better off with the Drake stuff.

mud-

16. bartels76

I'm going to start burning now since I like Jumpin' Jack Flash too.

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I hate these kind of situations where you have to buy a whole friggin' cd for one song but it does happen.

mud-

18. bartels76

I've been doing it less since I got a computer and cable modem. I know this is one of the reasons it's killing the record industry but dammit it saves me $$ buy just downloading stuff on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.