"Army of Darkness" ("Evil Dead 3") In Blu-ray...Groovy!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

2. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

The MGM R3 DVD release is groovier though. It's basically the Director's Cut but with an additional 2 second shot of ripping Sheila's bodice that Raimi excluded from his Director's Cut.

The UK Blu-Ray offers both the Theatrical version and the Director's Cut, unfortunately the latter is standard def only.

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Its an ok film but not one I'd rush to but on a BD list. I had the special DVD 2 disk edition bought for me for Xmas a few years back. Watched it, enjoyed it, put it on Ebay.

Campbell rocks in anything though.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I love Evil Dead 1&2 and Army Of Darkness. Unfortunately, these are not very well represented on Hi-Def. Evil Dead 2 had a lot of noise reduction applied, reducing detail and giving faces a waxy appearance.

5. nukevor

Hmmm...I have the U.S. Region 1 DVD--the set with the directors cut and theatrical cut. I got it off of eBay over 5+ years ago.

Looks like the UK Blu-Ray is the way to go...what region is that?

6. ferdinandhudson

I believe it is Region B only but I may have to double check that.

7. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

8. ferdinandhudson

Yes, it is locked to Region B so unless you have a BD player that is regionfree and also capable of playing the 25fps standard def bonus material (mainly the director's cut) this is not for you. The image quality of the director's cut on the UK BD is reportedly not so good.

I'd say better wait for another US release, another region-free European edition or look out for a future Japanese BD as they are Region B just as the US.

9. nukevor

Just saw both pages in that link. Interesting. Page 1 not sure what the fuss was all about. Page 2 looks interesting. Does the director's cut really look that good?

10. nukevor

Here we go again with region free Blu-Ray Players! Honesty, I'm not in any rush to get a Blu-Ray player. Your mention of a BD player that plays the "25fps" bonus material is intriguing.

Q: Most Blu-Ray players...how many frames per second?

11. ferdinandhudson

The Region 3 DVD is terrific, the best SD transfer available, the longest cut of the film and a 5.1 mix that is unrivaled. Got two copies of it myself!

12. nukevor

More importantly, does the MGM (region 3, really?) Director's Cut have the audio commentary of the Anchor Bay Director's Cut DVD?

13. ferdinandhudson

Yet you ask about the UK BD...:rolleyes:

14. ferdinandhudson

Yes

15. nukevor

Well, so far anyway...the Theatrical release on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD could be the way to go, then the Region 3 Hong Kong--Region 3--Director's Cut is definitely the way to go...

Question of the ages: Still not in a rush....things will change in the industry in about a year anyway...As of now, what's the best region free Blu-Ray player that upconverts standard DVD and also plays SACD stereo and surround (HDCD would be nice) and DVD-Audio? :)

16. ferdinandhudson

At the moment, price-wise, the OPPO BDP-83 is the way to go. All in one neat package, not sure if it decodes HDCD but you get all the rest. It isn't region-free out of the box unless you get it from some of the companies that modify it, costs a bit extra though. There is a thread on it in the hardware section here.

17. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

you couldn't see what was wrong? The idiots put a sharpen filter over the thing about 5 times, it looks nothing like film.

18. nukevor

19. nukevor

The Region 3 Directors cut was delivered to me today via Yesasia.com (from links provided in post #7). I ordered it on 9/20.

Though I don't have a home DVD player that is region free, my car stereo plays DVD (the Sony double din SACD/DVD unit) and it's region free. I'll do a quick check in a couple days to see how it looks and sounds (I'll play it while I'm parked of course...)

20. nukevor

Region 3 director's cut, YesAsia.com:
    http://www.yesasia.com/global/army-of-darkness/1002492075-0-0-0-en/info.html

DVD Beaver Region 3 review/comparison:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army.htm

The ultimate text-based review of different regions/cuts of this film:
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=3691

Until now, I didn't recall that Anchor Bay's director's cut only had a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack. (That sucks.) I love this online forum...it's my second home. Thanks, previous posters!

21. nukevor

My mistake. My player (Sony XAV W1) is not region free, even though it plays PAL discs. D'oh!

BTW, it's funny that this AOD disc didn't come with a paper insert/chapter indexes etc. inside the box.

22. ferdinandhudson

Inserts are usually fairly concentrated to America, if they ever stick anything in the case in Europe or elsewhere it is ads/booklets for other releases but it is a rare occurance.

What's the make and model of your home DVD?

23. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Hope it's not a threadcrap to say I am looking forward to seeing Drag Me To Hell on DVD this Tuesday (missed it in theaters).

24. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Don't expect much and you will be rewarded.

25. nukevor

Purely for testing purposes, not for home use!

Sony XAV-W1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.