Article in ATL paper about vinyl collector

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Good article, thanks Andrew

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I don't get too excited by 'large' 45 collections. What's the big deal of having 100 of the same LL Cool J title? Just as an example. It could be worse. He might have 1000 of them;)
    Also, beat up flea market/goodwill finds aren't hard to come across either. if I wanted to I could easily have as many records. I can't count the times somebody said to me 'I'll let you have the whole box for $5'.
    uh, no thanks. I actually enjoy my living space and 30,000 pieces is enough, since -every- piece I own has some value and is collectable, with some in the stratosphere. So his joy is the Beatles 4x4 ep...well, I have -all 3- of their eps. No biggie.
    What good is 1,000 LL Cool J 45's that are the same title and that cut was a flop anyway?
    I just use that as an example. If it makes him happy, more power to him, but I wouldn't want a load of worthless records crowding my homes.
    Certain records will retain their value, but many will surely lose their value in the face of hi-rez once that becomes a standard. At this point, I think vinyl sounds better than cd for the most part. However, every hi-rez title I own BLOWS AWAY the vinyl counterpart. So, familiarity and 12" cover art are the only advantages I can see with continuing with vinyl records. I think most 45's are laughable as an audiophile experience (not the 12" 45's, the 7' ones) in the face of hi-rez. Sure, original mint beatle lps will ALWAYS be valuable, likewise Elvis, certain psych, rare prog, things that don't make it to the new formats....like orig. Garage rock pressed in quantities of 100 or less but yet it's a desirable title (like say, 13th floor elevators). However, once technology improves a bit more, I think you'll find vinyl seriously dying off with the generation that grew up with it. The kids as a whole won't care, and you notice the article stated vinyl was like 1% of total sales? C'mon. I say vinyl for the most part is truly doomed to be relegated to the oddball file like cylinders and 78's, with just certain things holding their own. As a format I don't see the future music buyers thinking it's practical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.