Artist you discovered from a song in a movie/TV show

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RK2249, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Not being in the US I was introduced to a number of artists via Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Sprung Monkey, Cibo Matto, Bif Naked, Four Star Mary.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  2. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Paul Thomas Anderson's earlier film Boogie Nights featured Feel Too Good by The Move. Being young at the time I knew of them...but immediately bought a Greatest Hits CD. Wish they'd recorded more 'heavy' stuff...

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Charlatans U.K. - blackened blue eyes from the 2008 film jumper

Colin M likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It's not how I discovered him per say, but it's part of the reason why he first came to my attention when I was little, and that was Paul McCartney's guest appearance in The Simpsons.

I did discover the song "Maybe I'm Amazed" through The Simpsons however.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  5. May be the most famous/infamous of all!!
    [TV commercial 'discovery']

"The Carpenters".
    "We've Only Just Begun"; for Crocker Bank:

Wiki [story]:
    We've Only Just Begun - Wikipedia

6. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

The Move has some heavy stuff in their albums, except in the first. Of course not really represented in their Greatest Hits or Best Ofs.

7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Grosse Pointe Blank made me a Clash fan, I think the film was Joe Strummer's last project before he passed away. Great movie with a great soundtrack.

8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Eugen Hütz, lead singer of Gogol Bordello starred in the movie "Everything is Illuminated" in 2005.
    Great movie. It featured this song:

I went out and bought a couple of their CDs immediately.

9. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I'd never heard of them until Boardwalk Empire, been a fan ever since. Straight Up and Down.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Bob Marley? ;)

Mine would be Simple Minds, after Breakfast Club. Anyone with me there?

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. John54

John54 Senior Member

Exuma, in the movie Joe, 1970, which featured You Don't Know What's Going On:

12. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I was with you on the fifth post in this thread! :)

Chemguy likes this.
  13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sunna ---One minute science....
    Think I learned of them from a movie....

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

On The Dark Side - Eddie And The Cruisers 80's turned me on to John Cafferty.

15. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Dream Academy - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Damien Rice (Delicate) - Dear Frankie
    Glen Hansard - Once
    Rickie Lee Jones - Frankie & Johnie
    Nancy Wilson - Jerry Maguire

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  16. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Aimee Mann. Magnolia.

17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Too many to mention, I suppose. One that stands out is a song that was used in a - for me - great episode of the TV series "McCLOUD", starring Dennis Weaver. The song was "AIN´T THAT JUST THE WAY", sung by Barbi Benton, who also acted in the movie. The song was sung by her at the funeral of her agent, who died in the episode.

No, I don´t claim that the song is a masterpiece, but I liked it at the time, and today I have lots of nostalgia for it. It was covered by Lutricia McNeal in a very modernised version, and this version was a huge hit. The original is very sentimental, and sounds a lot like the songs Olivia Newton-John recorded in the early 70s.

In case you haven´t heard it:

It would be tempting to say that the song was such a revelation that I sought out and bought all her subsequent albums. Well, that didn´t happen. I liked the song mainly for the memories it awakened, and Barbi Benton´s voice, pleasant though it was, didn´t encourage me to seek out further examples.

18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Weird Science - I discovered the great live band, "Oingo Boingo".

19. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I do own Looking On now...a run of albums like that would've been nice. Shame that Roy Wood is mostly known - in the UK anyway - for that Christmas song...

20. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Christine's Tune by The Flying Burrito Brothers was used in the final episode of True Blood in its first season. I had never heard the song before but instantly liked it. A quick search on the internet provided me with the info I needed. I went to my local library the next day, borrowed a CD of The Best of The Burrito Brothers, and have been a fan of their music ever since.

21. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Ivy, thanks to the Farrellys' "There's Something About Mary" (song was "This Is The Day")

22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

The UK TV series "LIFE ON MARS" featured music so varied and "deep" that I not only discovered "new" artists, but it also showed me that bands I already knew had other songs than the "hits". For instance, Free is so much more than "ALL RIGHT NOW", no matter how great it is. I immediately ordered the soundtrack CDs, and sat down to be mezmerised again. Great soundtrack all around!

And ust to be 100% clear: I am talking about the original UK series. Once I saw the travesty that was the US remake, I never bothered to check out the rest of the series or the music associated with it.

Colin M and landerstnkb like this.
  23. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Jimmy Scott singing about sycamore trees in Twin Peaks' (then) final episode.

24. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Discovered Steppenwolf's Born to Be Wild by watching the film Easy Rider.

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Creation from Rushmore,
    and a bunch of artists and a whole new world of music to enjoy from O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.