Artists for whom you have a firm "cut-off" album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Minstrel Boy, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree and I find I like much of Windows in the Jungle as well (although not all of it). WITJ comes across as more of a Stewart solo album with Gouldman playing on it (and, in fact, SOUNDS like Frooty Rooties--not necessarily a bad thing just not complete 10cc). I do wish that the expanded "10 out of Ten" was better mastered though. It uses (from what I can tell) the same master as the Japanese reissue. The bonus tracks are great it's just mastered with too much compression and peak limiting. I used to have the original Japanese CD which had the UK tracks but foolishly sold it ages ago. It was quite dynamic although it sounded like it was from an inferior source to my ears. I don't think that 10cc's reissues of the later albums have received the love they deserve. I'd say that "10 out of Ten" was the last terrific 10cc album although there's merit in the following three as well if you pick and choose tracks but, by then, their sound had changed substantially because Stewart and Gouldman were working independently or, in the case of "Meanwhile", they worked with Gary Katz and his approach of bringing in studio musicians rather than having Stewart and Gouldman play most of the instruments with the support of their touring band, gave the album a bland sound. Even Stewart's remix couldn't completely save that album and some of the material, although sounding great, was second rate and felt like it was cast offs from other albums.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Did you start a thread on Windows a while back? I was going to try and find that today, because I just heard it, and the main thing that stood out was that 'Taxi! Taxi!' is basically the riff from Asia's 'Heat Of The Moment' built into another song. Coincidence?

3. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Deep Purple, The Battle Rages On. And I also refuse to listen to Come Taste The Band on ethical grounds.

4. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Whitesnake, Slide It In. Last good album from a band that, unfortunately, won't quit.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

Is that U Ritchie?

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  6. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

It was rather thoughtful of them to call attention to that in that way.

7. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Funkadelic - love the first three albums (ie up to Maggot Brain), then they completely lose me...

8. hammondjake

Agreed. The band may not have quit, but Mr C's voice certainly has.

RK2249 likes this.
  9. hammondjake

TBRO really is a very poor showing on oh so many levels, but Come Taste The Band is one of their finest for me (full disclosure: I own every Purple album).

10. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

one nation under a groove is fantastic... maybe because it sounds more like a parliament record...

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

With Paul McCartney it used to be BAnd On The Run.

Dylan :Blood On The Tracks

N Young : American Stars

Paul Simon : Hearts & Bones

Zappa : Sheik

Patti Smith : Easter

12. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I get that some people don't care for the Bowie Tin Machine stuff, but I like it a lot, and probably my favorite Bowie stuff, personally. Love the Iggy Pop stuff with David and the Sales brothers too. Is just two albums too low for a cut off though? The first Time Machine album is brilliant, and the second is not. It has a few good tunes (the Roxy Music cover song is great) but the time off in between I and II hurt them, the music they made seemed so immediate, if that makes sense.

usrlocal likes this.
  13. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

No no no! 1987 and Slip Of The Tongue are best records in the Whitesnake catalogue. They were just a mediocre Free knock off until Sykes appeared.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm done with Madonna after Ray Of Light.

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ And you missed some terrific songs on Music along with a very fine album in Confessions on a Dance Floor at the very least.

Rebel Heart left an awful lot to be desired (emphasis on awful) and could force the most devoted fan to rethink what might come next but I'll still remain curious to see what she comes up with.

16. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Ugh. Can't stand Whitesnake and Slip Of The Tongue is even worse. Trashy hair metal nonsense.

17. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Is there an album in a band/artist's catalog that, for you, was the "breaking point" where you gave up on the band/artist?

My list:

1. Kiss "Unmasked"
    2. Rush "Power Windows"
    3. U2 "Pop"
    4. Crosby Stills Nash "Live It Up"

danielbravo likes this.
  18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Paul McCartney- flowers in the dirt

19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Deep Purple In Rock

20. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren - Liars

21. Umass

Umass Active Member

STP - Shangri-La Dee Da

Ok album but it was underwhelming compared to previous and I suddenly lost all interest after being massively into them.

22. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Mostly when they became successful :unhunh:
    Just joking:

RHCP - Californication
    Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go...
    REM - Out of Time
    Weezer - Maladroit
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...
    Rod - Atlantic Crossing
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Queen - A Kinda Magic
    Kinks - Soap Opera
    Kiss - Lick it Up
    Sting - Soul Cages
    Elvis Costello - Brodsky Quartet
    Bruce - Tunnel of Love
    U2 - Achtung Baby

lightbulb likes this.
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“Monster” - R.E.M -
    “Pop” - U2
    “Hail To the Thief“ - Radiohead

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I like Learning to Fly, though.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

King's X - Manic Moonlight
    Riot - Thundersteel
    Marillion - Season's End

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.