Artists who are ripe for a quality vinyl reissue campaign

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vonwegen, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Surprisingly, no. Only Aja and Gaucho appear to be in print at the moment. It looks like much of the Steely Dan catalog has been reissued here and there over the years, but the fact that it's easy to spend $150+ on anything still sealed would indicate to me that it's high time to put all the other albums back into print.

At least good used copies of their albums seem to be fairly plentiful.

Mainline461 likes this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There was a thread a while back about the most common records that turn up in charity shops or dollar bins, and the Carpenters were pretty high on the list. You can pick up nearly all of their stuff for peanuts, so I don't see the sense in reissuing those.

Nostaljack likes this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

They are very hard to find nowadays in good condition and add the fact that their stereo masters are no longer existing because they got burned when the Universal vaults were destroyed by fire. If ever they would be released again, they have to go back to the multi track tapes to create a new stereo masters.

4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

All their albums got reissued over the last couple years?

5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

All coming this year... See the thread on this page.

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yes. AAA of course

7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Tool seems to delight in the fact that people can't get Aenima for less than $300 for some perverse reason.
    The Mars Volta hates their fans so much, they even sued MOV for the crime of releasing a (legal, very good) repress of Deloused. So I don't see reissues happening as long as they hold the rights.
    Reissues of the two classic Jane's albums both came out in the last few years, and both apparently sound terrible.
    The Manics' Holy Bible reissue is quite good, if not 2LP. Also $7 on Amazon which is a no-brainer.

8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fuzzy and MJM both got reissued...that said, I grabbed originals instead as the prices really came down in the wake of said reissues. They both sound really nice and won't cost too much if you're patient on Discogs.

sennj likes this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Here's the thing about a Steely Dan reissue campaign: They would probably be quite expensive and not necessarily better than the originals, even if MoFi or AP were doing them. I've used the threads on this very forum to track down the best original pressings... You can typically find nice copies used for $5-7, and it's gonna be really hard to beat the SQ of the RL Greatest Hits or Gaucho, for instance. Countdown is the only one that could easily be improved over all existing originals... The rest, not so much.

10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Was going to suggest Split Enz/Crowded House/Neil Finn solo

jon9091 and sennj like this.
  11. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Thanks much for the info; I wasn't aware that these were re-released.

I'll have to see if there's any info on the forum with regards to pressing, mastering, etc., etc...

Anyway...back on topic.

12. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

stereolab !!

&

esquivel !!

e.s. and 3Dman like this.
  13. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

MJM was reissued on Plain, which really doesn't count as being reissued at all.

scotth and sennj like this.
  14. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Yes! I have an import copy of Jordan on vinyl, a DMM single disc: pretty thin, given that the sucker is 30 minutes+ per side. And the thing was designed as a double album anyway: the side splits are indicated right there on the back of the CD cover. And yes, there's at least a double album of B-sides that I would love to have on CD or LP, to be honest. I have MP3s of most of them, gleaned from various sources, many of them from my own needle-dropped vinyl singles. But criminally overlooked tunes in that group ("Walk On," "Donna Summer," "Diana (Fast Version)," "Bear Park") plus some fascinating curios ("Wigs," "Spoonface" "The Guest Who Stayed Forever" etc).

All that being said, it's not very difficult to find minty copies of the Epic LPs, which were beautifully pressed. That was their label here in the states, and so "Swoon," "Two Wheels Good" and "From Langley Park to Memphis" are fairly easy to find. I have nice copies of all three, and can't imagine a major improvement on them, were they to be reissued. "Protest Songs," which I once owned on Kitchenware vinyl and traded in to buy the CD (arrggh!) has proved to be very scarce to non-existent here in the US. The only copy I've ever seen was the one I got rid of! :shake: I do recall a fairly recent vinyl reissue of "Steve McQueen" by one of those UK reissue labels--Music For Vinyl or whatever--but it's pricey.

sennj likes this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Decca Rolling Stones-It`s difficult to find these original 60`s UK Mono pressings in nice condition without spending a fortune.Too bad they couldn`t put together an AAA set as good as The Beatles Mono Box along with some rare and unreleased songs.

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's on their Facebook page. Posted 5th May.

https://m.facebook.com/theholdsteady

Started last year with A Glimpse Of Stocking, continuing later this year…hope they go deep and put something equivalent to the deluxe CDs together, or pair albums with related releases e.g. Good Humour w/Fairfax High, of So Tough with You Need A Mess Of Help, or a full vinyl edition of Boxette etc… The band are behind it, so I'm sure they'll deliver.

Defrance likes this.
  18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, and put "Fast Cars" at the end of a 2xLP reissue of Atomic Bomb as well.

19. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just wanted to add that I found a nice copy of Peepshow, except that side 2 also has terrible sibilance issues, especially on "Turn To Stone", where the S's sound like something frying.

Plus, everything up to Tinderbox is really bass-shy, at least on the US and UK pressings I own. The Gold CD sounds a lot better in the low-frequency department on those earlier cuts.

20. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

21. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Add a few more.
    Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band
    Crimson Glory
    The Knack

22. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The Cure
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Cocteau Twins (there have been two piecemeal/partial campaigns, but quality has been shoddy - I'd love to see the whole catalog done, and with respect!)

23. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Eric B. and Rakim
    EPMD
    Cranes
    Adorable
    Tricky
    Philip Glass
    Michael Nyman

24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

mazzy star

e.s. and steveharris like this.
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

AC/DC should reissue all of the old stuff but this time All Analog.They could use the original Australian covers and tracklistings for the Bon Scott albums.There are more than enough high quality soundboards from every album and every tour.They could easily put together some amazing deluxe editions.Let Sean Magee have a crack at it.

Quark1134 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.