Artists who've released everything in their vaults

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colinjpush, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Mamas & The Papas

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Lol. To be fair, that is a fun recording, although Dolphy is even more embryonic than Coltrane on the 1946 Navy recordings!

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Big Star? Creedence?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Van Halen has!

;)

blueslover99 likes this.
  5. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Lol.. are you kidding me? There are dozens of unreleased Beach Boys songs from the late-60s to the mid-70s alone!

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  6. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Not sure if mentioned but there can't be anything more from Jeff Buckley.

OptimisticGoat, Cassiel and EVOLVIST like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Not quite yet

Even in youtube and other circles you can hear tons of unreleased STUDIO stuff that didn't appear on 'Dark Side', 'The Wall', 'Wish You Where Here' and all the 1967-1972 albums

:wave:

RangerXT likes this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Studio-wise, I don't know

Live? they do have tons of soundboards from the 70s to these days, waiting to see the light

:wave:

RangerXT likes this.
  9. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

Very little Live material has come out from the 72-77 tours, aside from the Wembley performance and a short performance of WYWH.

RangerXT likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about Marvin Gaye?

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Led Zeppelin?ยก?

Come on, just those 40 min "companion discs" full of OUTFAKES don't count.

They do have tons of unreleased studio material (demos, outtakes, work-in-progress, alt versions, etc) and soundboard concerts. Even several mulitracked ones

RangerXT likes this.
  12. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

If you consider the Lost Lennon Tapes radio show as releasing, then Yoko has let loose with everything Lennon.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  13. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Years ago I read an interview with Lifeson where he said they don't really record anything they don't use.

RangerXT, ponkine and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

If you mean that Bowpromo (or whatever its called) its a split acetate with IIRC 7 Bowie songs (about half of the Hunky Dory album in rough mix form - so not the whole album - plus 2 outtakes - "Bombers" which was first released as a Ryko bonus track, and "It Ain't Easy which was first released a year later on Ziggy Stardust) on one side and on the other side I think some Dana Gillespie tracks. The Bowie side was recently officially released as a one sided "Record Store Day" vinyl release.

David Bowie - Bowpromo

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I doubt it, but since the same label that did that set is releasing in November a six record collection of "The Complete Chris Bell" (all his post Big Star solo, and pre Big Star group recordings, and also several years ago released Alex Chilton's complete "Post Box Tops/Pre Big Star solo recordings, there may be hope for "complete sessions" boxes for the first two albums. If those happen then the bottom of the barrel will have likely been scraped clean.

16. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Who really knows? With demo recordings and remixes you can see some archive sets drawn out for years and years for many of these artists.

17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I've read/seen several interviews with Alex and/or Geddy where they made this claim. I remember once Geddy said something like "If our airplane ever goes down then the record company is 'out of luck' because there's nothing in the vaults for them to exploit". Well "nothing" is in the eyes/ears of the beholder. If they mean unreleased finished songs their claim is most likely correct as they say if they've bothered taking anything to fruition it gets included on the album, while anything that isn't finished was basically abandoned along the way with the rationale being- if its been decided at some point during its creation that its not good enough to go on the album then why bother finishing it?

However some boots of rough mixes/early versions of released album tracks do circulate, though how different they may be from the finished items - a "major revelation" or just a "listen once" kind of thing - I don't know.

But there probably ARE enough oddball rare/out of print things that could be compiled into an album:

Not Fade Away/Can't Fight It (A & B sides of their debut single)
    Exit Stage Left outtake 'Vital Signs' released as B-Side to "New World Man"
    Japan only bonus track 'Force Ten' from the "Different Stages" live album
    A studio recorded drum solo released as a "sound sheet" in a drum magazine
    The "full band duet" song (Battlescar IIRC) they recorded with (and which appears on a) Max Webster album

There's enough of this kind of stuff for at least a single disc "Rush Rarities" collection or if solo/side project (and occasionally goofy - for example Geddy's lead vocal "for ten bucks" on Bob & Doug McKenzie's '"Take Off") rarities are included (and cherry-picked) there's at least enough for a 2CD "Rush Group & Solo Rarities" collection. Would THEY ever choose to put that out in their lifetime? Highly doubtful - but once they're all gone I'd be shocked if it didn't happen. Plus I'd be shocked if they didn't have a mountain of live audio (and a reasonable amount of live video) in their vault.

RangerXT and Who'sTommy like this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley
    The families released some significant lost tapes

Any more Hendryx stuff

Something slips out evey five years

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They've plenty of live stuff, especially from 76-88, which is what really interests me :)

RangerXT and ponkine like this.
  20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I've enjoyed the Monkees deluxe box sets, but they rely so heavily on alternate mixes that there can't be all that much material remaining that is unreleased in any form. I believe the Headquarters Sessions set contained every surviving vocal take from the band's early 1967 tapes.

Agreed about the Bogart's show. But there is still a little bit left. The box set only had a few live tracks from the 1993 tour; that can't be all there is. Also, the liner notes mentioned an additional 1990 demo - I seem to recall it had the word "fox" in the title but I may be dead wrong - that the band vetoed for inclusion on Fan Club. Plus there are TV appearances and at least on pro-shot complete concert that have never been released on commercial video. Right now the only available footage of the band comprises five music videos for sale on iTunes.

21. Metallica

Zero studio originals in the vault.

Supposedly there are hours and hours of riffs tapes, but not songs. Just chug chug chug chug chug chug!

22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I always questioned that too. I have a great 11 cd bootleg (forgot the title). Amazing stuff left untouched officially.

Colinjpush likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I've seen some other live performances on YouTube and although the performances are great, the sound is pretty bad. And since I only care about quality... I can't say I'm interested.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No I don't mean Bowie Promo acetate. I'm aware of that already. I mean an alternative version of the 'whole' of Hunky Dory,

wildstar likes this.
  25. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

No, they've got a lot of live stuff that they're sitting on.

They probably haven't got much in the way of studio work that they still have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.