Artists you discovered late in life

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stodgers, Jul 15, 2019.

1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident Thread Starter

So four years ago I was at a convention for work, and did what I always do when in a strange town: hit up the local record store. In this case, it happened to be Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

Despite being north of forty years of age, I had never in my entire life heard an Iron Maiden song. Not just never heard an album: never heard a single song. They're obviously not a radio band, and though I had friends who liked them, nobody was into them - so I missed out. I love metal, and Queensryche being among my favorites, one might have thought I'd go for Maiden at some point, but it just. never. happened.

So when I found a used copy of Number of the Beast at Fetus, naturally I took the bait.

WOW.

How did I never even give this band a shot? Since then, I've bought Piece of Mind, Live After Death, and just this weekend picked up Brave New World which is PHENOMENAL.

So, old-timers, what are some of the artists that you've come to late in life not knowing what you missed out on earlier?

[Another one for me is Marillion. I bought Misplaced Childhood in college and hated it. Never gave the Hogarth albums a try until that last couple of years. Now I can't get enough!]

2. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I didn't really get Bob Dylan till I hit 50

Beechlander, dlemaudit, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Grizzly Bear 50
    Duncan Browne 57
    The Band 58

4. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Springsteen- Didn't get on board until I hit 40 a couple of years ago. Finally seemed like I could relate to many of his songs.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  5. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Well, I hope I’m not that late in life yet, but I just started listening to Slade last year, at age 44. I bought five of their records plus the Slade Box, all between late August and mid-October.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I've only just discovered the brilliance of the early Black Sabbath albums in the last few months!

7. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Because you can't know everything I discovered these in my 50's...:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Black Tape for a Blue Girl
    Wade Bowen
    Randy Rogers Band
    Reckless Kelly

And I am always discovering so I don't feel like a geezer...:)

caravan70 likes this.
  8. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Off topic: how did you like Electric Fetus? I live about a 7-8 hour drive from the Twin Cities, and I’ve been thinking about trying to get there for a record-store crawl later in the year. EF is a name I’ve often heard mentioned as one of the better shops in Minneapolis. Have you been to many other record shops in the area?

G E likes this.
  9. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I was in my late 30s when I finally recognized the blinding brilliance of Stephen Sondheim. The quality and complexity of his lyrics (and the rules he follows when writing them) was a game changer for me. It has changed the way I listen to other lyricists, and unfortunately for nearly every single one of them, Sondheim sets a bar so impossibly high, that no one competes.

kmk pdx and Jarleboy like this.
  10. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Bowie about 7 years ago when I turned 50.

dunce, Rooster_Ties and MikeManaic61 like this.
  11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Was not interested in reggae at all until I visited Jamaica. I still think you need to visit the country to 'get' the music.

danielbravo and delmonaco like this.
  12. stodgers

I also just bought my first Slade album, but my reaction wasn't a positive one on first listen. I have to give that one another shot.

Oh man... If you have not yet purchased Vol. 4, do so immediately. I liked Black Sabbath before I got that album. After that, I loved them.

SO good. And every album is so different.

I give it definite high marks. Aspects of a record store I value:
    1. Variety: I have musical ADD, so they have to have something of everything. Along with Maiden, I got The Weepies, Tom Waits and Megadeth's Endgame. The fact that four years later I can remember exactly what I bought tells you I was paying attention. :)
    2. Cleanliness: I hate stores that reek of patchouli and stale cigarettes... because that's what my purchases will smell like.
    3. Organized: Everything is orderly and well-sorted. I didn't feel like I had to bounce around too much.
    What I do remember is that used vinyl was overpriced per my experience, but I also live in an area where there is almost no such thing as overpriced vinyl (though I did overpay for something this weekend knowing I was doing so).

13. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

Love 'Forever Changes'

14. stodgers

No joke: I had the same experience. Stayed in Negril for a week and the chef at our hotel, Teddy, kept playing a Ziggy Marley album when we were in for drinks or dinner. I asked him the name, and he says "You like it? Here you go." and gave me the CD.

Thought I haven't bought much since, when you see the conditions those folks live in, and that they depend on such vital and upbeat music, it changes your whole mindset about it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Atlanta Rhythm Section

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings

16. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Coincidentally, when I read the subject line of this thread, my first thought was Iron Maiden. I was mid-20s when I finally got into them but, once I did, there was no turning back. Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Live After Death and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are amazing albums with Somewhere in Time slightly below that group. These days, I find myself listening to the first two albums (the Paul Di'Anno albums) more than the Bruce Dickinson albums. Love that stuff.

And just to keep it as eclectic as possible, just within the past year or so, I've begun devouring Waylon Jennings' 60s and 70s albums. Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson too. Never thought I'd find myself listening to country music. My high school self would doubtlessly hang my middle-aged self for it.

stodgers likes this.
  17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes
    Tangerine Dream
    Pentangle
    King Crimson

Icethorn, danielbravo, Deibu and 2 others like this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'd like to hear more about this , please.

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler
    Steely Dan
    Little Feat
    Traffic/Winwood/Mason
    I've always known these folks were there but I got so sick of the cuts radio played to death that I just didn't want to hear any more of them. Somehow I got to hear some deep tracks and the ran with them. Better to find them late than not at all!

20. stodgers

If you haven't yet discovered Emmylou Harris, I'd encourage you to do so. Absolutely terrific voice, and her interpretations of others' works often reveal more to them.

My dad raised me on Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, and John Denver, so country came easily to me, but I'm still a metalhead at heart.

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

As a sidebar, I'd like to be young enough that mid-20s seemed late in life.

stodgers likes this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

Jazz: The Boswell Sisters

caravan70 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  23. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Discovered The Cardigans First Band On The Moon last week.
    Wonderful power pop!

I'll be 54 in August.

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

46 years young and just got my first Marty Stuart CD today!
    Way Out West

[​IMG]

25. bobc

bobc Bluesman

I didn't really dig Miles Davis until I was around 50. I had heard Kind Of Blue and other albums, but hadn't really listened. Then I had a job which obliged me to drive a lot and in the gridlock I just listened to Miles (the Prestige albums, Round About Midnight, Tutu, Amandla, Live Around The World and more) and I just got it.
    This is rare. Normally I just like things and stick with them.