Artists you're happy with just having a compilation of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is exactly what he said

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

All I can say is you can't miss what you've never heard. In the case of EW&F, I do miss the live "Reasons," though.

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The Smiths - Great singles band, LPs patchy
    Echo and the Bunnymen - ditto
    The Carpenters -ditto
    Motown acts also a good call and my favourite is Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

4. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I hav emany Motown comps. The only single albums I have are the Marvin Gaye expanded editions and a CD set of Tempations albums I found at FYE cheap. While I grew up listening to Motown in Northern VA, the comps are satifactory to me for the most part.

Jrr and Grant like this.
  5. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The Guess Who
    Tommy James & The Shondells
    1960s era Neil Diamond
    George Jones
    Townes Van Zant
    The Cure
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Henry Mancini
    John Barry (alright, it's a boxed set...)
    The Smiths
    The Four Tops
    Temptations
    Lovin' Spoonful
    Supremes
    KC & The Sunshine Band

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Babys - Anthology is a great compilation.

Folknik and BradOlson like this.
  7. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The Crystals.

BradOlson likes this.
  8. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Alice Cooper - his greatest hits was a pretty good album, but on the other hand, BDB was pretty much the whole ball of wax

9. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Def Leppard, Motley Crue, and pretty much all the other 80s hair bands. Just give me the hits, thanks!

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Most of them!

razerx likes this.
  11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I'll give it a try. I ahve been lobbying for people to check out some of the bands listed. Particularly the Byrds.

Jrr likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I urge you to at least check them out one day.

Jrr and Monosterio like this.
  13. ChesterB

ChesterB Well-Known Member

Steve Miller
    Squeeze

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I agree with you up until the 70s. Most 60s Motown albums are mostly filler, although, once in a while they did put out solid albums by Jr. Walker & The All-Stars. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, or The Temptations.

But, once you get into the 70s, there are classic albums that are indispensable (IMO). The reason is that by the 70s, most Motown albums were independently produced, and their only connection with Motown were maybe some musicians or engineers. There are indispensable albums by Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Rick James and Commodores.

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I found another compilation I own, The Best of Tito Puente, Vol. 1. This really doesn't fit in this thread because it's just until I get more of his discography. I own 9 other albums but his discography is big.

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

The Ramones.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Little Richard
    Faron Young
    Hawkshaw Hawkins
    Buddy Holly

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

CCR used to be in this category for me. Then one day I realized Chronicle was missing "Born on the Bayou" so I picked up Bayou Country. And I heard "Bootleg," "Penthouse Pauper" and the rest.

Long story short, I now have several of their albums.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Chris & Cosey

20. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I own all of their albums and I tend to gravitate more towards their non-single tracks like When I Kissed The Teacher, The King Has Lost His Crown, One Man One Woman, If It Wasn't For The Nights, Like An Angel Passing Through My Room, Eagle (full length version not single edit, thank you) and even B-Sides like Cassandra or Lovelight so a compilation wouldn't do it for me (unless it's a box set containing all of their albums... is that considered a compilation? If so, I'll take that one!)

21. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So many wonderful B-sides and album cuts that a greatest hit comp just doesn't do it for ABBA. I too am a fan of many album cuts. Like I've Been Waiting for You on ABBA. It's such a beautiful song and only released as a single in Australia and New Zealand.

One Man, One Woman is also really great...I don't see how it was never released as a single

Luxury_Liner likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh, absolutely! I guess when I hear Motown I think 60's, but they put a ton of stuff out in the 70's and generally speaking I think their albums really bumped up in quality. Stevie Wonder is a perfect example of this.

Grant likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The Guess Who. Vanilla Fudge. The Coasters.

Grant likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Get the new stereo mix.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Actually, I was fortunate enough to get one of those crazy expensive vinyl box sets from three or four years ago. I wouldn't call it a compilation box though technically speaking that is exactly what it is. Anyway, the sound is stunning. And I agree with your album cut choices. Love When I Kissed the Teacher and others you cited, and also Under Attack. They just didn't write or produce many filler songs at all, amd none are so bad I feel the need to skip over. That is pretty remarkable over seven or so albums. Even their debut album is decent as a whole. Brilliant songwriters coupled with two outstanding female vocalists plus very proficient studio skills. They covered all the basis and clearly they didn't stop until they felt the albums were as good as they could be. I only wish Arrival was recorded after they went to 24 track. You can really tell its a 16 track recording and they really hit a technical wall with that one. When I Kissed the Teacher just doesn't quite have the dynamics a song like that could have, and I think it was simply the limitations of their recording equipment or too much track bouncing. Dancing Queen from the same album sounds pretty amazing.

Luxury_Liner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.