Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have to add Rush, Foo Fighters, and Pearl Jam.

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Should really like Iron Maiden but just can't , yet I love all the bands they cite as influences

3. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Fugazi

To me Pailhead is the best thing Ian has done

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And yet you just did.

So I will leave it the same way - you have as much "evidence" as I do. Which is none at all.

Sondek likes this.
  5. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Bowie . I know what he meant/ means to many but most of what I've heard of his , including a couple old albums purported to be his best , are while experimental and highly unusual for their time not very listenable .
    Michael Jackson, while I liked a few or more of his catchy radio hits , and can acknowledge him as an entertainer, think he can be highly overrated. After the late 80's he sang too much in a high voice only and had many vocal tics and same dance moves .
    Prince- think he was very talented particularly on the guitar and could be an electric performer but think his song writing in general left a lot to be desired , had this vault of zillions of songs but how many were worthwhile?

Earscape and carlwm like this.
  6. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Coldplay just kills me

Record Rotator, carlwm and Nightfly68 like this.
  7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Frank Zappa. I tried, just can't get into it.

Earscape, carlwm and Moshe like this.
  8. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Eric Clapton

Earscape and Moshe like this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

OK... here's one thing I will say to your contribution to this thread: Prince put out an album every single year and often had great songs on the charts from different albums at the same time. As you mention, his guitar playing was stellar but it was one of 31 instruments he played masterfully.

Bowie, too, was very prolific and his artistry and musicianship actually outshined his "personas". So, it was much more than a gimmick and I loved Bowie decades before he died. For me, I consider that without Bowie, my favorite bands like The Smiths or Suede absolutely would have not existed.

For me, these artists who put out records with great artistic quality very frequently should be praised versus a Peter Gabriel who put out one 9 song album every 7-8 years.

Michael Jackson, I agree, it was very contrived but many songs were still classics.

Who are your favorites you feel are more worthy of praise and accolades and are perhaps a bit underrated?

10. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

My answers:

1. King Crimson. I think the nostrils artwork album is super overrated. I love Pink Floyd but this I did not get.
    2. Nick Drake. Sounds like John Mayer stuff, which I hate.
    3. John Mayer.
    4. Dave Matthews. Great backing band, embarrassing lead singer.

Earscape likes this.
  11. They dont kill me; they bore me to tears. Why did i ever bur any album after their first? no idea

arthurprecarious likes this.
  12. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Tori Amos

Just because I like Kate Bush, people say “If you like Kate Bush then you’ll love Tori Amos!”

I don’t.

Also they say “so and so is just like Kate Bush. You’ll love them”.
    I’m not interested in anyone who sounds like Kate Bush.
    When I first heard Kate Bush, she wasn’t like anyone.
    That’s what I more interested in. Someone who doesn’t sound like anyone else.

Earscape likes this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Kate Bush.

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pink Floyd

Great guitar player, (supposedly) interesting songs with something to say...

But I just find them dreadfully boring.

Grey Alien likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Bob Dylan.
    There's so many of his compositions that I love, but they're always performed by others.
    I do own the mono box, but still haven't played it all. Makes a great bookend however...or CD end?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  16. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

U2
    Oasis
    Blur
    Queen
    Coldplay
    The Monkees
    The Smiths
    Chuck Berry
    New Order
    Kate Bush

carlwm likes this.
  17. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

1) Radiohead - one or two songs at a time is about all I can take. I also can't get into OK computer, which is supposed to be their best album.
    2) Elton John - I love his hits and two albums (Madman and Yellow Brick Road) are all incredible listens, but most of his albums are just filler around his singles.
    3) Pearl Jam - incredible first three albums. After that, it's hit and miss for me, mostly miss.
    4) U2 - love the 80's rise to superstardom, but after Achtung Baby, little interests me, although Songs of Innocence had some good songs.
    5) Most jam bands - I love improvised music, but the problem I have with jam bands, sans Phish, are the vocals. The emphasis is usually on playing, not on singing.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I see little relation between Kate Bush and Tori Amos? Never heard that or made that connection. Is it because they are both female? The music they make is very different from one another.

Parachute Woman and Mathew like this.
  19. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I'm not one too shy to state my likes and dislikes. I don't like any band or artist due to peer pressure, but if I am understanding the spirit of the thread, my answer might be Lindsey Buckingham as a solo artist. Love Fleetwood Mac, but cannot stand solo Lindsey.

OK - but wait - there's more - Lady Gaga. I liked her music when she was weird, but now she's trying to be acceptable to everyone and there's not enough character left in her music to interest me, even though it is superbly uncool right now to not be a Gaga fan.

Lots of Coldplay in this thread - are there really that many out there who feel like they're "supposed" to like Coldplay, because for the majority of years they've been out, it has been decidedly uncool to like Coldplay.

What about eras? Can I nominate an entire era or genre? Hair bands and grunge. I am pretty sure I was "supposed" to love hair bands in 6th-11th grade but thankfully for me I've never been much of poser. After school, I might have been the only 17 year old in 1991 who simply didn't care about Nirvana or the entire sound they birthed. Thank goodness it's over!

20. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Love the Black Crowes. Don't particularly love Chris Robinson Brotherhood or Magpie Salute.
    Love the Allmans. Don't particularly love Gov't Mule or Tedeschi-Trucks.

canadian73 likes this.
  21. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I agree 100%. I've never heard the supposed similarity. A friend explained the whole affair to me as, basically, it being the Kate fans who drive this comparison, not unlike the Madonna fans who constantly talk crap about Gaga being a wanna-be.

Another time, I was told Regina Spektor was just a less interesting Fiona Apple.... but other than both playing piano and being female, there are really no similarities in their music or style. I guess some folks have narrow perspectives.

22. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

It's like I didn't eat perogies til I left Saskatchewan.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

24. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Nick Drake > John Mayer

Spadeygrove likes this.
  25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I see no relation at all between Nick Drake and John Mayer except that they sing in a similar manner. Music is totally different and the songwriting is totally different to me.