ARW officially turns into YES feat Anderson Rabin Wakeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I don't want to nit pick but Whites not really classic YES 70s era Brufford takes that title. White's an excellent drummer, but he's no Brufford. I say that as a drummer since 67. Not to take away from AW he is very good and joined in mid or late 70s on Relayer I think. Great album BTW Moraz was a great addition also.

AndydD and somnar like this.
  2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Oy, here we go again.

Aggie87 likes this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I watched that on TV when it first aired and it was painful listening to Howe sing 'Roundabout'. Apparently Jon thought he would be involved more on the Symphonic Music of YES CD and he was only on 2 tracks.

AndydD likes this.
  4. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I don't agree. White came in at the tail end of the Close To The Edge sessions. And was responsible for everything afterwards. Tales, Relayer, Going For The One. Granted, Bill was the one who was there when they broke through but he left at their peak; Alan deserves praise imo as well.

Bemsha, Joe N, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  5. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

White joined on the "Close to the Edge" tour!

Comet01 and Mazda like this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think (?) that Lane might currently be Wakeman's manager and that's how he got involved with all of this but it's just speculation.

7. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

They may have earned the right, but Howe is the only real major "Yes musician" there. Alan White seems very ill. I was happy to see him drumming at the Rock'nRoll HOF, but he wasnt looking well.

Really, Howe only has the lawyers on his side now. I can't picture a Yes fan going to see Howe's Yes with its current line-up now that Anderson made the move. At least not with the same enthusiasm. Is there a Yes fan that prefers Howe's Yes?

8. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not much heaven, and a whole lot of hell for Steve Howe with this announcement, I'm thinking.

Karma?

Mazda likes this.
  9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Both bands don't really excite me but if I HAD to choose I slightly prefer Yes official. They have the better guitar player by far, the more adventurous setlists, their singer sings all songs in the original key and I actually prefer Downes to Wakeman on songs that were not originally played by Wakeman.

10. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The Anderson Stolt project was terrific.
    [​IMG]

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Go listen to Rabin's Jacaranda and then tell me that Howe is the better guitar player. Also, in my opinion, Downes sounds lazy compared to Wakeman no matter what they're playing. I've seen the current incarnation of Yes, and I've seen ARW. ARW felt more like Yes than the Yes show did.

12. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Well, to each his own, but I admit I'm surprised...I've seen some recent footage of Howe's Yes live and it wasn't good. Theres a video of some cruise concert, Howe's Yes playing a tribute to John Wetton, cringy stuff.

Lownote30 likes this.
  13. I doubt he was ticked off about it. I doubt there would be any bad blood for them to tour together. It makes sense as well and, given that there aren't ANY original members in the current Yes line up, it would give the band more pulling power when touring with Anderson as part of the mix. I just wonder if they will be replacing their current lead singer...
    I saw him as part of ARW and, yep, he's got it. His voice was in amazing shape.

Classicolin and Mazda like this.
  14. Lownote30

Sherwood is what messed up that tribute, and he was supposed to already know that song as he was sitting in for Wetton with Asia. Keep Sherwood away from all my favorite bass players that are still with us. The guy is cursed!

AidanB, Aggie87, Scottb and 2 others like this.
  15. Lownote30

Howe is always ticked off. Just type his name into YouTube. He's a grumpy guy!

16. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

The Yes Official web site (Howe's Yes) states that there are no plans for reuniting with "the guys at ARW", and they're making plans for the YESTIVAL...so no Union 2, I guess...

17. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I have Jacaranda and Howe will play better guitar on his deathbed than Rabin ever did.
    Sorry, Trevor seems to be a nice guy but his guitar playing is like his songwriting: generic and boring. It doesn't matter how many notes a second he can play, he just sounds like a Malmsteen wannabe (or a Di Meola wannabe on acoustic guitar). He doesn't have an ounce of originality, feeling or good taste.

18. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

I remember the singer having some trouble and White's drumming dragging a lot too... But I dont blame White, he was already struggling with health issues.

19. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

damn.. he sounds pretty good on 90125!!!!!!!

DreamIsOver likes this.
  20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

You do realize though that Sherwood (who sang "Heat of the Moment") is not the lead singer of Yes? It wasn't clear from your posts.
    Jon Davison is a pretty good singer though I don't like the sound of his voice all that much.

21. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Trevor Horn will make everybody sound good. Even Frankie goes to Hollywood. :D

Roberto899 and PDK like this.
  22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Well Genesis had this sort of arrangement from 1978 onward with Rutherford and Stuermer. So it is possible.

Comet01 likes this.
  23. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

I realize that, but my memory wasnt clear about who sang at that concert (I mean who sang the tribute song). I quoted it from memory...
    I agree and I personally think Jon Davison could be better used outside the Yes machina. He's a fine singer.

24. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Geddy Lee looked pretty comfortable playing Roundabout and he's looking for work. Just sayin'...
    Anyone else surprised he didn't provide any backing vocals during the song?
    I know his voice is in pretty rough shape these days, but it can't be any worse than Steve Howe's.

Love,
    Billy

AndydD, StimpyWan, longaway and 4 others like this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

His voice is very distinctive...it wasn't the Geddy Lee Show. He did his thing and didn't do anything to take the spotlight off the 'stars' of the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.