At last! The STEELY DAN Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Sep 8, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Used in American Hustle effectively.

BNell and David-Shea like this.
  2. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Number 238 on the RS best 500 albums of all time list? Take Palmer and any other vocalists out of the equation, and if Fagen had sung every song, now where would it place? Higher, I'm betting.

If DF had sung every song, I'd label this debut a home run. Instead, only a solid double. Which isn't a bad thing.

3. alexpop

David Palmer looked uncomfortable singing live.

DrBeatle and drivingfrog like this.
  4. alexpop

Good luck. :righton:

5. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

I love this album, my fave track is "Turn That Heartbeast Over Again". I wouldn't try to objectively argue that it's the best song on the album, I just happen to love it. The tune hasn't been mentioned other than the OP- curious if anyone else really loves this song or has any comments about it? It certainly didn't seem to be one the fans were clamouring for during the "rarities night" concerts!

I have no idea what "cry a jag on me" means, anyone have a guess?

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

The Brian Sweet Reelin' In The Years bio is essential- and, for the purposes of this discussion, where I have gleaned a fair bit of my Steely Dan knowledge (as well as the recently published Steely Dan FAQ book, equally essential)

I am going to take a shot in the dark and, based on yer nickname, guess that Katy Lied is yer favourite Danalbum, eh?:D
    And The Sopranos.
    My sentiments exactly:cheers:
    Indeed- a decent copy of Can't Buy A Thrill and Led Zeppelin II are on my current shopping list.
    I must admit, of the Fagen-sung songs on the album "Turn That Heartbeat Over Again" is probably my least favourite. Very cluttered arrangement, IMO, especially where the vocals are concerned. But that's just me.

brunofaetten and kevimetal like this.
  7. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

CBAT jockeys for the #1 spot when I consider the Steely Dan cannon. Like others, I'm a bit uncomfortable with David Palmer's vocals, but the song Dirty Work is flat out excellent. Jim Hodder is a bit better on Midnight Cruiser, another excellent track. This is the most "band" album they'd ever do, but it is like a blueprint for what would come later. What impressed me about CBAT was how good it sounded. Cranking up Reelin' In The Years was a great way to show off your stereo's capabilities. RITY was also the hit that sold me on the record. I liked Do It Again and always turned it up when it got played on the radio, which was a lot around here. But Reelin' made me a real fan. In songs like Heartbeat or Change of the Guard, you can hear the approach that Fagan and Becker would follow later on to compose their numbers.

As a kid of only 11, my mom kept close eyes on the music I was buying (dear old Mom was quite prudish) and was horrified at the cover and almost forbade it to be in the house. I'm kinda meh about the album art, but it does reflect the theme and tone of the album quite well.

ramdom, Marvin and ohnothimagen like this.
  8. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

Best not get onto to Katy Lied yet but I do love Katy Lied and Doctor Wu (in particular):D:D

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

An amazing debut album from the band. Palmer and Hodder's vocal do let it down a little but every song is either good or great. A fascinating album from start to finish.

10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Not when I saw him front (Big) Wah-koo at the Tower back in the Seventies

DavidD likes this.
  11. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

Probably my fave, vying with Aja for that accolade. I like the fact that there are different singers- makes it even more multi-faceted. Don't get me wrong, I love Donald's vox, but his style is idiosyncratic to say the least. For the 'straight' vocal on 'Dirty Work' I couldn't imagine it any different.

mikmcmee, DavidD, ramdom and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

"Katy Lied" (my nickname is only an outtake though) and "Gaucho" may be my favorites, but this is my fourth favorite, a (near-)masterpiece.

"Only A Fool Would Say That" is forever, the leading track a classic etc....

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I saw a clip of them singing "Do It Again" on "Midnight Special" and when Donald Fagen started singing on the chorus, it all made sense. Thankfully Fagen took over all of the singing duties, the lyrics and songs benefit from his voice.

14. alexpop

DP ...a man in search of a tambourine.

sekaer, DrBeatle, drivingfrog and 2 others like this.
  15. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

The one-two punch of Do it Again and Dirty Work is absolutely amazing, but the album falters a bit after that. Fire in the Hole and Only a Fool Would Say That are the other stand outs for me, but I think that they were still figuring things out with the best yet to come.

I was lucky enough to pick up this and the rest of the Steely Dan catalog on vinyl fairly easily and inexpensively back in the early 90's when everyone was dumping vinyl for CD and they still sound fantastic.

sunspot42, ohnothimagen and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Pre 95 was the best time for collecting original vinyl in good condition.

carrick doone and zebop like this.
  17. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Well when you pluck up the courage to buy a copy, make sure it is an original!

JG

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Listened to CBAT for the first time in years as part of my binge honoring Walter's legacy. There's not a clunker in the bunch, although you can point out weak spots easy enough.
    Do It Again, Dirty Work, Midnite Cruiser, Reelin', and Brooklyn are stone cold classics, with Only A Fool and Heartbeat not far behind.
    The rest of the discography is so strong, but it still feels wrong to rank this near the bottom the classic seven.

DavidD, Gardo, daleyguy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Do It Again is an amazing song and an amazing all-around performance! I place it alongside other period, "epic" tracks like Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys and Argent's Hold Your Head Up... For me they belong, sort of stylistically. Like "prog pop" perhaps it could be called...

Fire In The Hole, beautiful song and fantastic piano solo...

I like David Palmer's lead vocal on Dirty Work. It suits that song well IMO.

Other than that and a couple of other tracks I also enjoy, CBaT is my least favorite album from the "original band".

fredhammersmith and Gardo like this.
  20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

My Pretzel Logic LP is the only one that isn't an original (80's MCA cloud label reissue), so hopefully I'll find an original Thrill without having to pay an arm and a leg for one on Discogs...

Anyhoo, gang, time for me to call it a night- have fun, I'll check back in later!

lemonade kid likes this.
  21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The debut is an ok album but probably the one I listen to the least. They haven't really found their groove or sound and I'm not crazy about the non-Fagen sung songs. Still, "Do It Again" and "Reelin' In the Years" are stone-cold classics, "Dirty Work" is decent, and "Change of the Guard" has some great guitar solos. The leap from this album to the next one (Countdown) is HUGE, though (but let's not get ahead of ourselves...:laugh:)

22. alexpop

Countdown...begins after a short break.:laugh:

DrBeatle likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Good debut album. Aside from the singles, my favorites are Midnite Cruiser, Change Of The Guard and especially Dirty Work.

steve phillips likes this.
  24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

CBAT is a wonderful album. It might not be as fully realized as Aja or The Royal Scam but you can tell that Fagen and Becker had a clear idea about what they wanted from the get-go.

DavidD and ramdom like this.
  25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

One of the reviewers mentioned the album is fully formed. I have to agree. They knew what they were doing, knew what they wanted to be and where they wanted to go.... and how to get there.

First heard the song Reelin in the Years in High School on a friends car stereo. I couldn't wait to buy the LP and play it on my modest little rig in my bedroom....it sounded soo good! You could just tell Steely Dan was destined for stardom.