At last! The STEELY DAN Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I'm not a musician, I'm not trained, I don't even know the correct terms for things. But I was raised on opera, classical, folk music, blues, standards, and JAZZ.

When I first heard SD, and it was probably either Reelin' In The Years or Rikki, I knew there was something different, and a little deeper musically, about this band. LPs, cassette tapes, then finally CDs, I got all their albums from Can't Buy A Thrill through Gaucho....and sang every song, because this was the traveling music of my life.

Favorite tracks from this album?

Oddly enough, the ones that did not get major airplay, such as Only A Fool, Brooklyn, Kings, And Turn That Heartbeat Over Again. They caught me both lyrically and melodically.

2. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Can't Buy A Thrill is the only album in their official cannon that sounds like this - but to my mind - is not their only material that sounds like this.

Dallas and Sail The Waterway should be on this, regardless of what the actual creators think. :)

Hell - some of the Kenny Vance stuff, cleaned up a bit, would fit fine on here.

Although not my favorite SD of all time, I still love this album. Especially for the overarching literary feel - they're trying too hard - but who cares?

Also Midnight Cruiser is an underrated jem. Love Hodder's vocals on that. I agree about the non-airplay cuts too - Dirty Work and Kings are stellar.

As for the hits, they're great - and that guitar solo in Reelin' In The Years still shatters.

An auspicious debut - and points to things to come.

Cheers,
    Paul

DavidD, ohnothimagen and drivingfrog like this.
  3. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

My favourite songs off this album are the ones sung by Palmer and Hodder.

Hall Cat, Mansley and Ginger Ale like this.
  4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

But Palmer gives Steely Dan a New Jersey connection! Didn't mind the other guys singing because ... well, nobody knew who they were! I can see having a problem with it looking back but at the time there was no 'voice of Steely Dan'.

5. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Almost 50 years later, it's astounding to consider that Becker and Fagen were 21-22 year old kids writing those songs. Those tunes are literate and complex way beyond their years.

I'll say it again - when they close the books on songwriting, those 2 twisted, genius dorks will stand on the top of the heap.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Wah Koo came through Philly?.....damn!

9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

??? Donald Fagen was born in Passaic & raised in South Brunswick. Is that not Jersey enough?

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Any other fans of Kings? That song absolutely stomps.

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

So did his teeth!

[​IMG]

:wtf::p

kyletx500, ailgin, Comet01 and 4 others like this.
  12. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Hey, it was the 70's - a decade of bad hair, bad clothes and (apparently) bad teeth.

Hulloder, ailgin, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  13. DrBeatle

Watch that video and when they close-up on him singing...yikes!

14. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Ive always enjoyed CBAT, I suppose that I heard a bunch of these songs as my introduction to Steely Dan a few years back (im late to the party, I know).

Ive always been a fan of Do it again, I knew that song before I knew it was Steely Dan who did it, and I've always enjoyed Midnight Cruiser.

As far as debut albums go, its not quite perfect but its a damn fine album and a great start for The Dan.

15. DrBeatle

^^When I was a little kid (~5-6 yrs old), I thought "Do It Again" was by Santana (that Latin groove...).

kyletx500, dynamic73, alugjk and 6 others like this.
  16. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

For years I never realized "Dirty Work" was a Steely Dan song! It's very pop radio friendly and the vocal totally threw me off. But actually the two singles are very catchy and rank as my all time favorites by this band. An album I still don't own, but I may be swayed as a long time fan of "The Dan" from album rock radio.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    DavidD likes this.
  17. Absolutely love this track as well, and never understood why it doesn't get more recognition in their canon. Brilliant lyrically and structurally, killer hooks, and an absolutely bedeviling three-part vocal harmony in the "Oh Michael, oh Jesus" section. This along with "Only a Fool" are the tracks I return to the most on this LP - brilliant for a debut, but the Dan would quickly top it.

DavidD and kevimetal like this.
  18. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Currently, I find myself listening to Kings, Midnite Cruiser, Only a Fool Would Say That, Fire in the Hole and Brooklyn most often these days. Mainly due to the massive amount of radio airplay of the hits...wore them out a little for me.

The track "Change of the Guard" is one song I thought didn't fit the LP well. The simple accents on the electric organ, the bass thumping octaves and the harmony electric guitar parts directed this tune to more of a standard pop rock song.

Gardo likes this.
  19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I have no idea what "cry a jag on me" means, anyone have a guess?

I believe it means uncontrollable weeping.

20. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I agree about "Sail The Waterway". It would have fit nicely on CBAT. I like "Dallas" as well but I can see why Becker and Fagen aren't too fond of it. It sounds more approriate for a group such Poco (who wound up recording the song a few years later).

rollerball9000 likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Careful with the mic Eugene.:)

303 Squadron, Frosst, ailgin and 2 others like this.
  22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

oh thought they were both from forest hills

23. I think for me, the varying vocal styles put me off a full embrace of CBAT for years. I first liked it for the 2 high charting hits but eventually came to dig it all. Fire In The Hole sometimes plays in my mind-love that piano-and the only way to release it is to play it on my stereo!

DavidD likes this.
  24. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Yeah, that's what a "crying jag" refers to, so I assume "cry a jag on me" is just another way of putting it.

Anyway, this and Countdown are Steely Dan at their best as far as I'm concerned. Having Palmer as a second vocalist seemed unnecessary; Fagen's voice has a lot more personality. There's nothing on the album I dislike, with Reelin', Cruiser and Heartbeat probably as my favorites.

Gardo and drivingfrog like this.
  25. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I found Elliott Randall's notes on the solo on Kings made a lot of sense.