At long last... Melvins vinyl reissues coming in January 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Allan, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Melvins.net reports that classic early Melvins records Ozma, Bullhead, Eggnog and Lice-All (Lysol) will be released on January 20, 2015. These will be packaged as 2LP versions combining Ozma/Bullhead then Eggnog/Lice-All on Boner Records.

In other great Melvins news, their trio of records made while on Atlantic (Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag) will be released on vinyl by Third Man Records later in the year.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

yeah, limited to 25 copies each. lol...

I'm just joking, but some of their releases are SOOOOOOO limited to make them instant collector's items, it's not even funny.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I`ve been waiting for Stoner Witch and Stag to be reissued for years. I hope they`re all analog. With Third Man involved, they just might be.

John Bliss likes this.
  4. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I already pre-ordered the two Melvins Boner reissues! Cannot wait!

5. Allan

Hopefully Gluey Porch Treatments will also get the vinyl reissue treatment at some point.

bleachershane, GuyMontag21 and Cake like this.
  6. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Oh, my! This is incredible news! Thanks for the heads up!

7. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Those two were mixed down to DAT, so they can't be all analog.

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Never mind, somebody HAD to bring the ever popular "all analogue" subject up;)

If there is one thing to be learned from the new Iron Maiden reissues than it is that "all analogue" isn't always the path to sonic salvation some people assume it is. There is mastering, pressing etc...

But Melvins reissues are good news. I might get "Stag" since it is the only one I do not have...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    John Bliss and D.B. like this.
  9. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Uh, what about the three band member EPs on Boner? Would be a shame if those don't get released.

John Bliss likes this.
  10. Allan

The Boner label seems to be making a comeback, so maybe those solo LPs will come eventually. They recently reissued Fang's classic (and great) Landshark record on vinyl. I haven't heard this new pressing, though.

11. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Read this earlier, pretty stoked - I've wanted Lysol on vinyl forever but could never justify the $100 price tag on eBay.

12. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident

ouch. ouch. this was the year I got back into vinyl again, and I should have just waited.

I got a new credit card earlier this year, and it had about 1500 dollars worth of room on it that I wasn't expecting. I'm also a huge Melvins fan. I lurked on eBay too much and fought through some very bloody auctions to get my hands on Gluey Porch Treatments, Ozma, Bullhead, Lysol, and Stoner Witch.

at least I didn't get Houdini and Stag...hopefully the remasters are good. :)

EDIT: my copy of Hold it In just arrived, and it's pretty well-pressed. any opinions on Ipecac vinyl? as it's Mike Patton's label, I imagine they're probably pretty good.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  13. GuyMontag21

I hope so for you. The original pressing ain't cheap by any stretch...

14. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Great news, just hope they sound alright!

Also hope that Houdini (at least) is on double LP, the original pressing sounds horrendous. Half decent quality vinyl should probably help a fair bit as well though.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. Allan

The originals will probably hold their value. Their early records records have been crazy-expensive on the used market for many years, so it's a real relief to have affordable vinyl of these. Hopefully, they will be done right.

I have nice originals of Lysol and Eggnog, which sound killer. I look forward to comparing them with the new ones.

I wasn't aware that the original Houdini didn't sound good, but that makes sense, since it's so long. I got to hear the 2011 unofficial counterfeit of Houdini on red vinyl and it was THE WORST sounding counterfeit I've ever heard. Completely distorted, thin and unlistenable in every way.

16. GuyMontag21

Have you heard Stoner Witch? Same label I believe, and the audio quality is pretty strong....despite the vinyl being pink. I have a problem with colored vinyl. Most of it doesn't sound good, and I have problems seeing the dust.

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

What is this "counterfeit" version? Is that the live version they released? Bootleg?

18. GuyMontag21

It is a poor quality vinyl counterfeit. They are all over Discogs with sought after LPs. If you see a copy of Houdini that is, say, 50 bucks instead of the expected 145, that is a bad sign.

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What pressing do you have? My US original doesn't sound bad at all.

Recently I've noticed new counterfeits of "Gluey Porch", "Ozma" and "Bullhead" so be careful when buying "originals" on Ebay. I haven't sold a Melvins record in ages so I was shocked when I saw what they are going for today. Apparently the counterfeits didn't do much harm to the asking price for originals. But these things are everywhere, a friend bought a nice collection of the albums up to "Houdini", all originals, all in nice condition but.... Bang!... the copy of "Houdini" was a counterfeit on green vinyl. One has to be really careful these days:(

John Bliss likes this.
  20. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Lysol is one of the best albums of all time. Can't wait to get it on vinyl!

octaneTom and Allan like this.
  21. GuyMontag21

[​IMG]
    I agree, l333l. I remember the first time I heard it senior year of high school, and couldn't stop playing it.

I assumed my brother would like it too, because he usually liked everything offbeat I liked musicwise at that point in my life (Primus, Butthole Surfers, Frank Zappa). He sat through 4 minutes of Hung Bunny before getting frustrated and walking out.

"Doesn't this, like, PICK UP at any point?"

"Yeah, but wait like six more minutes. Aren't you enjoying the 40 BPM tempo? Come on you wimp, don't leave!!"

This probably says something about my level of being a Melvins fan, but I'd pay a looooooot of money to get this pressing right here with the name still visible.

22. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I also have the Stoner Witch original, on pink vinyl. It's one of my best sounding records.

23. GuyMontag21

Fantastic. "Lividity" does sound pretty fantastic. (the vinyl I ended up winning is very noisy, though. time to invest in a cleaning machine.)

John Bliss likes this.
  24. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Didn't Atlantic put that out themselves rather than through AmRep? Plus it's five minutes shorter, which would help.

Yeah, it was the original US version. I don't have it anymore though since the CD sounded so much better, it ended up being sat on the shelf more as an ornament than anything else. A friend of mine has a copy too and often complains about the cash he spent on it considering the sound.

I've wondered before if the German version might be better since that's on Atlantic and probably uses much better quality vinyl that doesn't compound it having to be cranked.

John Bliss likes this.
  25. Allan

Here is the bad counterfeit of Houdini listed on Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Melvins-Houdini/release/3144566

It has Amphetamine Reptile labels and comes in a flimsy, non-gatefold cover with bad print quality. It's pretty easy to spot in person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.