Attention U.S over-the-air antenna users- you will need to re-scan your channels on January 8th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

On January 8th, 2018 several broadcast TV stations in the U.S will be moving frequencies. If you use an over-the-air antenna, you will need to re-scan your channels on (or after) January 8th using (most likely) a setting in your TV or digital set-top box (if you have one connected to an older TV with an analog tuner) to continue to receive those channels over the air.

Note that if you have a cable or satellite provider you do not need to do anything- this is for those who use an over-the-air antenna only.

You can get more information here including what channels in your area will be moving on January 8th:

TVAnswers.org | Your TV Channels May Be Moving. We're Here to Help!

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks for the update. Still the best quality source available in most homes.

3. PaulKTF

And as a bonus, it's free (for now, anyway...).

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

At the sports bar I did tech for, I compared a network feed from different sources, and the over the air signal just blew away the DirecTV and cable ones. The only one better was the DVB Ku feed at 35 megabits.

5. PaulKTF

Yeah, the cable and satellite companies compress the hell out of the signals to squeeze more channels in.

gd0 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Yep! I don't think most folks know just how good a network feed can look with an antenna. Of course a lot of Network Affiliates compress the hell out of the signal on their own to fit in more sub channels. But if you're lucky, you'll have a network affiliate with an engineer cares about picture quality and they'll keep most of the 19.2 megabit available on the main HD channel.

During one Olympics we were pulling in the network feed which was 35 megabits via the 12 foot dish. Oh man, that signal was a thing of beauty.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Not to mention crystal-clear 5.1 surround audio.

I was stunned at the jump in quality when I ditched cable a few years ago.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I recently cancelled cable and bought an antenna. Allegedly with a 50 mile range. All the broadcast towers are 22-28 miles from me and San Antonio is pretty flat, so I thought I'd get good reception, but it was a complete fail. All that came in well were three shopping channels, several Spanish channels, and the CW. Got CBS sporadically, but dropping in and out. Got Fox with a few scans, and same with ABC, but never both with the same scan. Never once picked up even a hint of NBC or the PBS affiliate. The one time I got CBS it did look fantastic, but then I never picked it up again on any re-scan no matter where I located the antenna. It was an indoor one, but one with very good reviews, so I expected a lot better. Returned it after a few days. I guess a roof or attic mounted one would be better, but that's beyond me.

9. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

You really need a relatively clear line of site to the towers for the over-the-air signal to work well. We're only 6 miles from most of the local TV antennas and, with a highly rated internal antenna, reception is just barely acceptable. I'm getting a roof antenna when the weather lets up.

10. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

So I clicked your link Paul and nothing is happening in my area for over 2 and a half years. I have an outdoor antenna, but I don't really watch it anymore. Had it installed to watch The Office, Parks and Rec. and Community when I had DirecTV and they didn't offer locals. Don't have satellite anymore, or cable for TV (only Internet), and there's nothing on that interests me anyway.

Just curious is this realignment related to ATSC 3.0?

11. PaulKTF

Okay, yeah it's not affecting all areas, so if none of your channels in your area are moving, you don't have to do anything until probably September of 2019.

It's due to stations selling off their channel space on the spectrum so it can be used for other things I think. I don't think it has anything to do with ATSC 3.0 but I could be wrong. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the tip...even though I don't watch broadcast TV, but it's there in case I get desperate...

13. Michael

yea, the only free one to many...

14. Michael

it's the thought that counts...thanks Paul!

15. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Apologies Paul for not thanking you. It's a market that has grown and will continue to.

16. PaulKTF

No apologies (or thanks) necessary, my friend! :)

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sorry if I'm not keeping up with this, but the link provided doesn't quite give me what I'm most interested in about this shuffling (but then again, frankly I haven't really totally understood television/FCC politics since the 5th Report and Order).

What exactly is the criteria for which channels are being "moved"? Are these specifically UHF-assigned frequencies above a certain channel number? And, by, "sharing frequencies", are talking about, say, changing Harrisburg's "Channel 43", and just shuffling the signal over to another wavelength (channel number) that the FCC used to consider too close to both be on the same frequency (say, some other channel number that's also being used by, I dunno, nearby Altoona)?

Isn't it a little s**tty to auction off a frequency to a deserving, growing company, only to have it yanked back out of their hands once they've spend considerable time and expense pointing the public to the frequency they just started running?

And, what are these new "wireless services" the move is making room for? Are we talking, services you only get to take advantage of if you are a cellphone customer of a specific network? Or are these dedicated "wireless services" for new products (such as taking over your brainwaves if you just bought a new FitBit)? Are they actual, factual services designated to "operate in the public interest, convenience and neccessity" as originally stated in the Communications Act of 1934...such as free public community wi-fi, such as the community services in Chatanooga and a scant handfull of other communities in the U.S?

Or, are they jsut a giveaway for the mega-owners who are already intending to benefit from the hours-from-now "Net Nutrality" vote by the FCC, so Verizon and Comcast and two or three others can use, to offer more customers something they can profit on while inconveniencing the rest of the uninformed, unsuspecting, not-opted-in general public, who won't be seeing a kilobyte of improvement (or savings) in their lives?

I'm really more interested in what the information at that above link left out, than what they're telling us.

On the other hand, those of you in the minority of the country's users who do use OTA television signals...just go ahead and enjoy your clearer NCIS in 5.1.

MikaelaArsenault and SuntoryTime like this.
  18. PaulKTF

Bump! Just a reminder that tomorrow (Monday, January 8th) is the first day you can / will need to re-scan your channels if you use an antenna.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It of course is dependent on your location. Some areas will not need a rescan for a couple more years.

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Thanks for posting this! It looks as if my PBS channel will soon be moving soon. Some other channels will move at later dates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.