Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The Columbia SACD of John Wesley Harding to me is pretty bad. Dreadful, actually. However, the Columbia SACD of Nashville Skyline is wonderful and everyone should have it in their collection. The best John Wesley Harding digital version out there is the original CD issue, I think I started a thread on it once. Can someone find it for us? Thanks.

2. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

I think that the need for 2 discs was probably because there was surround as well as stereo and redbook stereo on these discs.

Larry Geller likes this.
  3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not certain, but I don't think that Steve is employed by AF. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think Steve's mastering studio is hired by the likes of AF or Analogue Productions. If I had to guess, I'd say that SH has achieved that point in his career where only projects of interest are accepted.

I suppose it would be nice to have representation from AF, Analogue Productions, HDTracks, etc here on the forum.

4. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Steve,
    I'm really excited about this. I spent hundreds of hours listening to this LP when I was a kid. LOVE the album. THANK YOU!!!!

5. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Yes, I've read that thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ns-john-wesley-harding-just-to-be-sure.38225/

I listened to the two last night, and it is the most drastic mastering difference I've ever heard, if that's the case. The SACD really sounds like it could be a different mix than the original Columbia SACD. I totally agree that the SACD sucks and the original CD sounds fantastic. No idea why they would try to "replace" that with the terrible sound of the SACD remaster. I wonder if they ever did an A/B against the original CD? It sounds nice and warm!

Sadly I don't have the original LP, so I have nothing to compare these to. I'd love to figure out if a different mix was done for the CD or not. Maybe someone who has the stereo JWH LP can check (to see if it sounds like the original CD or the SACD), or upload a 30 second sample of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" to compare. The Greatest Hits II sounds more like the original Columbia CD to me. I always assumed that was a remix, and in an attempt to use the "original" for the SACD, they screwed up the sound big time.

mikeyt and truth-be-told like this.
  6. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Marshall has posted on the forum before, right? There's no reason why AF couldn't clear this HDTracks question up. There's been confusion about it ever since they made the announcement. Oh well, I'm sure some people bought the "Close to the Edge" download thinking it was Steve's mastering.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh boy! Can't wait.

8. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Next question: didja have fun?

9. Michael Bohannon

Michael Bohannon Well-Known Member

I am sure it will be one of your best. Looking forward to hearing it.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Do they run together without a gap though? I can see how the slight crossfade might be annoying to people, but I always felt there was something a bit special about that segue - young Dylan straight into 'now' (at the time) Dylan.

11. Steve Hoffman

No. Very difficult. I'll have fun listening to the finished product. Sometimes it works that way.

12. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

That's a bummer, but I look forward to benefitting from your blood, sweat, and... sorry... wrong musician.

Thanks for the hard work!

p.s. Special thanks for unshackling Masterpiece and Tomorrow!

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

VOLUME II was my introduction to Bob Dylan. I think I was in junior high at the time; hearing those longer tracks like "Stuck Inside" and "Tom Thumb" took me to places I had never visited before. Such great memories...for that alone I'll be buying this set. I can go without lunches for a month to pay for it :laugh:

mikeyt and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Are you able to tell us anything regarding the condition of the original tapes for "Blonde on Blonde" and those other albums that have only been released on CD in re-mixed form? I understand not being able to discuss official Sony business, but it would be great to know if those tapes are in a more use able condition than previously thought.

mikeyt and Spek like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Cannot discuss Sony business, sorry. Wish I could chat about it.

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

No worries, thought it was worth a shot. Can't wait to hear this one, it was also my introduction to Bob.

P.S.
    Any chance you could just re-master every release by every recording artist ever? It's what the world needs man!!!!!

Kkfan and Steve Hoffman like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Special? No.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

At the time of release, there were many folks who thought it sounded like a remix, and there was an article in the CD Watchdog column of ICE about it. In that article Stephen Berkowitz of Sony Legacy insisted that it was not a remix. He said the bass had been cut substantially on the original LP, and that they had also removed many popping p's from Dylan's vocals. He said that what appeared on the SACD was the original unfutzed master, with loud bass and popping p's intact. I've never heard the SACD version so I can't offer an opinion, but the official word is it's not a remix.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Incredible!

Any chance for Eagles backcatalogue on hybrid SACD?
    The DCC versions are long time OOP.

Also on my wishlist: Sade, Kate Bush, Fleetwood Mac (especially the loud "Say You Will"), Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Supertramp and some modern albums from the 80's, 90's and 00's that were recorded in high-res. Adele would be a bestseller + Amy Winehouse, Fleet Foxes, Alabama Shakes, LCD Soundsystem, Emeli Sandé, Bat for Lashes,...

and The Beatles, John Lennon, McCartney,... :p

+ Blade Runner Soundtrack sacd!

mikeyt likes this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A quick scan of this thread leads me to believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that no one has brought up the fact that the UK version had a slightly different line-up, some songs on it were not on the US version.

Since this is a double disker, what are the possibilities of the extra tracks found on the UK version making their way into this set?

mikeyt likes this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

In an earlier thread, it was explained that AF was not allowed to deviate whatsoever from the content of the standard CD. So my assumption is that this is the US edition with no changes.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Nothing earth-shattering here, but if the new Dylan SACD were stereo single-layer, then it would fit on one disc. I don't know if the addition of a CD layer means that a second disc is required.

mikeyt likes this.
  23. Dobro910

Dobro910 Forum Resident

Steve,

Any chance of a vinyl release????

Mike

erniebert likes this.
  24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well, this WAS an official release, or I wouldn't have asked the question. I fully understand that Steve is quite limited in what he can and can't do, but since there are people in the UK who undoubtedly would be wondering why songs were left off of the version they are familiar with, I think it's a very cogent question.

25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I will also thank you NOW for this! Terrific!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.