Audio Fidelity to release Blue Öyster Cult's Secret Treaties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Importcds just sent me Secret Treaties #1295 (US$23 incl s/h in an order of 5 discs). I am enjoying it a lot - big improvement and happy memories from the early 80s when I was introduced to the Cult. Thanks!

Joti Cover and Simon A like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Best digital pressing IMO

Joti Cover, qtrules and Simon A like this.
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

100%. Just reached Astronomy. Fabulous.

Joti Cover, qtrules and Simon A like this.
  4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Magnificent. More B.O.C. Fire of Unknown Origin is a great album. Next Please!!

pscreed, BluesOvertookMe and The Hud like this.
  5. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I'm just listening to the redbook layer. Man, this is a low-fi recording. Steve explained what he was going for when he mastered it in another thread and the CD proves that he achieved his goals. The AF sounds as if you are standing in the rehearsal room with the band... but it also makes me want to go to the mixing desk and turn up the bass.
    The vocals sound better than ever as can be expected from a Steve Hoffman mastering but I have to say I miss the "boom" of the Anesini remaster. Even with my Sennheiser HD 598 that are usually somewhat on the dark side the AF CD sounds rather thin. OTOH the clarity is outstanding.
    I guess this recording (and the mix) is what it is. I'll have a few more listening sessions. Usually Steve's masterings become my prefered masterings in the end but this is no home run.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Kyhl, PineBark and vox.jubilante like this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

I get where you're coming from but the magic is in the Quad mix. If you ever have the chance to hear it with a good set-up, you'll understand why many are very happy to own this disc.

pscreed, fredblue and quicksrt like this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Interesting, mine still hasn't arrived. I don't have SACD so will be a redbook listener. Maybe the CF will remain my go to... Can't wait to hear it though.

8. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

The quad mix on this disc is fantastic. There is something different going on in every speaker, so plenty of detail, but not distracting. It all comes together for a surround treat. I have many surround discs and this one is among the very best.

quicksrt, fredblue and Simon A like this.
  9. vox.jubilante

vox.jubilante Forum Resident

This is my first impression, too. I guess perhaps I was hoping for/expecting the Anesini (my first and only real exposure to this album) with a bit more dynamic range. Wasn't long before I was fiddling with the bass to see if I could get a wee bit more 'oomph' in the low end and remove a little of the 'bite' in the high end but in the end I gave up and decided to just blast it and see how I felt.

It's grown on me, though. If you crank it way, way up the sound does fill out a bit and the additional clarity really does show the recording in a new light, with plenty of grit and grime. Some bits almost sound like a demo tape; I can hear little things like pickup buzz in places I never had before and a song like Astronomy sounds less polished and proggy and just more... weird.

So, I completely agree with your assessment.

I'm not set up for surround, unfortunately.

Simon A and Endymion like this.
  10. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I'm having a listen to the Quad mix through my Oppo BDP105. I only have a two speaker setup but I can still appreciate how different this mix is from the stereo on either the SACD or redbook layers. There are some interesting almost drop outs when a guitar solo is suddenly away in one of the speakers I'm not set up for.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I know what you mean here. I felt the same way listening to the stereo layer. I will have to re-visit the Anesini remaster. I haven't listened to that disc in years, and certainly never gave it a critical listen like I did the AF. But with the recording/mix the way it is, I'm sure there is only so much Steve can do through EQ. Adding enough low end to get it where we might want it would probably negatively impact the sound of other parts of the recording.

The quad mix is very enjoyable, especially Dominance And Submission and Astronomy.

12. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

anyone compare the AF CD to the HDTracks version?

13. Oyster Boy

Just got the AF through the post today and will play it tomorrow. From the outset and from what has been said on here, I am expecting the AF to be more subtle and intricate compared to the CF which is in someways intricate yet ballsey.

gklainer likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just got this disc today. Secret Treaties has always been my least favorite of the first three but this is a game changer. I don't care if it's "lo-fi", it freaking rocks! Stereo and quad mixes are both fantastic.

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I don't have the Hoffman mastered disc. Though, I do have the Anesini remasters. Thanks for the write up. I enjoy all of the remasters by Anesini. I think they were done pretty well. The bonus tracks on these are decent also. I think I will stick with them.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I found the quad mix to be the most aggressive quad mix I've ever heard. I'm not an expert on quad mixes, but none of the ones I've heard to data pack a punch like this one does. Man, they're not afraid to put roaring guitar in the rear channels! I felt like I was getting pushed and shoved from every side - in a good way! :laugh:

ejluther, Hymie the Robot and Simon A like this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Anesini remasters are too compressed unfortunately. The AF SACD is wonderful.

Simon A likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

The last reply I made to your question, I thought by HDtracks you meant the Culture Factory (HDCD) release. Sorry about that, but I have never heard of HDtracks before. Just found out what it is via another SH forum thread. I am afraid that I know nothing about downloading:)

19. Oyster Boy

Listened to the AF last night, redbook layer, brilliant, hearing stuff I hadn't before. Do find it quite intricate and dynamic as I expected and this will be my late night go to because its all there without needing huge volume on my system, whereas the CF is more in your face (thinking of the neighbours). If I had to choose just one overall it would now be the AF.

Simon A likes this.
  20. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

The DR of the 24/96 download is 8, according to the DR database. It is 11 for the AF.

21. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

As good a mastering as this will ever get (referring to stereo layer only as I don't do surround).

Crispy Rob, Simon A and Oyster Boy like this.
  22. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

No problem. I really appreciate the reply. I know the difference in DR values but that doesn't always tell the story. Just wondered if anyone had done a more thorough comparison. Thanks !

23. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Thanks. But DR is only one factor. Have you actually compared the two masterings? I suspect the AF is better also but just curious. Thanks again.

Simon A likes this.
  24. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

The Quad on this is just terrific.. in all respects.. superb surround remix.. most of all it sounds beautiful here..!! :goodie:

Please please AF, don't abandon Surround on your SACDs altogether, you're so good at this.. and surround music needs you..!!! :edthumbs:

25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Holy smoke, there are some serious audiophiles on this forum. :)

Steel Horse and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.