Audio Note ramblings & review of AN UK M6 preamplifier (which starts at post #40)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Don Parkhurst, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

One thing that isn't exactly a drawback might be that people have taken to saying that a new M3 is the equal of an old M6. While that may be in terms of detail, extension and control, there is a sweetness, sophistication, elegance to an M6 that isn't there in an M3.

Having had my old M6 and a Galahad M3 in house for a long time, I'' confident of that conclusion. Not having had a Galahad M6 in house, I can't draw detailed conclusions between the 2 gens of 6s.

Kenneth73 likes this.
  2. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

I have both off them

The new m3 has better extension and micro dynamics. But the old M6 has more body and bloom.

Though if you upgrade the new m3 with a simple kaisei upgrade in the power supply. The body and bloom is actually better. But for some reason the new m3 has more hiss than the old M6.

The sweetspot for me is the model between with the ob2 mkii. it is dead silent and both qualities as the new and old versions.

3. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

It really depends on the parts used in mainly the high voltage power supply.

Stock electrolytes is a bit skinny downwards and and bit to laidback. upgrading to kaisei electrolytes really does change the tone, power, dynamics and resolution quit a bit...

4. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Thanks to you both for the additional comments.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Is the two box M6 (Sig or SE or whatever it is called) available in the US? I didn't ask how much it cost but it is probably another 50-100% more expensive than the regular M6. Naturally, it's not listed on their website. They probably have 50 products not listed on their website.

Interestingly the dealer noted they sell far more M6 preamps than they sell M3 preamps. They will let me know when a second hand M6 becomes available - people here upgrade to the m8 or m9 or m10 - so we'll see. My only issue with the dual volume control is that it is less fine in terms or volume level so my fear is it will go from good to too loud with each turn of the dial - I had this issue with my Sugden A48b and HE speakers (high early gain). Though I do like the physicality of the volume knobs - you go to turn them and you're surprised that you need to exert some force. Thunk Thunk. Now that's a knob! That's one thing that is slightly disappointing on my 219IA - it's built like a tank but the volume knob is a plastic loosey-goosey Alps. The other switches are all solid thunk thunk types so it's a shame they didn't put a really good solid volume knob on it. It has remote control which is probably the reason.

6. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everyone makes different decisions, but my feeling is that you take advantage of any really good opportunity that comes your way. I would do whatever was required to obtain those AN E/AlniCo speakers. Then later, go one step at a time to get the preamp and amplifier(s) that you really want. Don't forget to try some of the top notch integrated amplifiers that they make. A fellow in England that I know is really happy with his Tomei, even after selling Kegons and an M8 to get it. That might really help in the more limited amount of space that you typically have in Hong Kong. You would need an external phono preamp though.

7. Don Parkhurst

I will write the home office and see. Don T wasn't sure as it was around the time that they were switching over that it was ordered. Hopefully they can help me, back in Hove : )

8. Richard Austen

You are definitely correct - you have to buy what comes up as an opportunity sometimes even if it pushes back the plan. The plan was just to get an M3 Phono but if what I want is the M6 it's probably best to wait. I could look and get an M-One second hand until I can afford an M6 - it's bound to be better than the preamp stage of my 219IA.

9. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

You would be amazed of how well the new m3 phono performs.

But a M1 is a pretty darn funny pre amp to. it's so full of sparkles and has a very big boogie factor.

10. David Cope

Popping the lid will tell you immediately. The power supplies are completely different. If you take a pic and post here, I can tell you.

11. David Cope

The M6 Signature is, I believe, available to order. Is it available to hear in the US? Probably not.

Only 50? I suspect you're being kind...

12. David Cope

If you can stretch to the M2, it's vastly more refined.

13. Richard Austen

hahaha - oh Dave - it's all about "if you can stretch" Audio Note is the Yoga of audio. See I have not been in that darn store since about May - I go in there asking about an M3 and now I'm looking at a speaker I probably can afford but shouldn't, an M6 which is double+ the price of the M3 (But I know I'll wish I ponied up for the M6 later), and then the darn DAC 3.1x (and no I am not even going to listen to the upper model - NO I tell you No! And Empress Silver Monoblocks. I don't know what it is about these 2A3 but I love them. I was blown away by the big impact of them and the tactile presence. The lady amps (pardon me 300bs) when I do the A/B just seem polite stayed. Probably more refined but I don't care - the 2a3 breathes something. I almost want them first before Peter realizes they are far too inexpensive for the sound they put out.

It's killing me - I should have stayed home. We'll see they are looking for consignment places and second hand shops to sell my stuff first and noted it was a down market here. It's one of those - this is the last AlniCo floor model kind of thing and the new prices have gone way up. Poplar burl is not my first choice but hey it's nice enough. I hope to go tomorrow and hear the AN gear with their new Einstein the pure speakers which are supposedly SET friendly. Einstein certainly goes for a bold look. McIntosh for chrome fans or something. It's a wide baffle and looks shallow too - so I am excited to hear them - with the M6 - M^not to derail the thread - but it is for rambling too now.

[​IMG]

14. Don Parkhurst

Hi David;

I took a bunch of photos last night before heading off to bed. I have posted them on my Flickr website. Instead of posting them here, I will post a link to them, as there are 40 in total and this will allow you to select the best photo to determine whether it is pre-galahad or current galahad.

Audio Note M6 Linestage Preamp »

Thanks for your help!

Rob Hume, Kenneth73 and J.Uotila like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Richard;
    You have one of my all time favourite quotes for hifi there "it's all about "if you can stretch" Audio Note is the Yoga of audio". You absolutely nailed it! I started out looking at OTOs and Soros and now have Kassai mono blocks and an M6 preamp! How the..... What the......

Of course, the only advice I have is to get those Alnico speakers before they are gone and start you slow descent into the world that I inhabit ; ) What's that? They will make you a killer deal on the TT-3 Full Reference? I only have to work until 80 to afford it?!

whaaat likes this.
  16. Don Parkhurst

I would definitely love to try that, but I will take your advice : ) This is becoming as expensive as a bad drug habit!

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Don,
    As always I've been really enjoying your post despite the high level of envy they induce in me. You've got me contemplating the sale of a kidney.

18. Don Parkhurst

Come on in....the water is warm :D:D:D

19. finn

finn Forum Resident

Hi Don, Your pre has some design and componentry from the current power supply such as the tube compliment but being built in 2004, the latest output stage is completely different as is the switching mechanisms, volume pots, wiring harness. It may be possible for the factory to do an update to current specs and would be less expensive than opting for a new unit totally. Enjoy the ride.

20. Richard Austen

I heard one of the older M6 preamps and it was fantastic. I suppose it's like anything as time progresses they make improvements along the way. Audio Note has some deep roots in DIY so I would guess that unlike a lot of stuff it is probably easier to make improvements to the gear so long as there is space in the box.

Even the I Zero blew me away and that thing has their least expensive preamp stage and power amp stage. The M2 also impressed me - when I first heard it at the dealer here I was seriously thinking of walking out the store with it. Given its price, size and sound it is very tempting. I held off because my LM integrated is good enough to allow me to be patient. Indeed, to be honest the OTO is good enough to be permanently patient if you want to be sane about this hobby.

21. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

If it has any interest im about to go on w journey with something rather special.

I will be getting a audio note m3 special. its a boned down m6 SIGNATURE also with external psu.

It will then go through a extended documented review ending up as a M6 SIGNATURE.

I could make a thread here with progress pictures and expressions of what is happening as I go through the various upgrades

whaaat and nige harris like this.
  22. Kenneth73

Kenneth73 Forum Resident

This is the very good version of the ob2. in my book the best m6 version to date.

Love it...

23. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Ken, I for one would like to follow the transformation process. What are the main differences between an M3 Special and an M6 Signature? The model descriptions on the Audio Note website aren't much help.

Kenneth73 likes this.
  24. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Gorgeous photos--you clearly still have some nice photo gear left. Very nice bokeh :righton:

IanL likes this.
  25. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I heard an OTO at Kenneth73's place today, and I fully agree--it punched far above its price class. I had a similar thought: Any sane, not insanely wealthy person should just get an OTO and be done about it.

Kenneth73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.