Audio Technica AT12Sa Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by retroboxman, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retroboxman

retroboxman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just picked up a backup TT, a Pioneer PL-530, the little automatic brother to my PL-550. Stylus was dead (of course) but the cart is a AT12Sa. I really don't know anything about this cart. Is it special? Should I sell it? Are styli hard to come by for it? I listen to mostly 60s/70s Pop and soul. I already have a Ortofon 2m Mono, Shure M97Xe and Shure M 44-7 in my arsenal so I don't feel the need to hang on to another UNLESS it's really something special.

Your thoughts?

Travis

2. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I have it and love it. Shibata stylus. Very warm, tube-like sound. 5-45k frequency range. Generally best with 60s/70s LPs, so I think you'd like it. You should be able to get an original stylus from LPGear. Btw the AT12XE (which you could also fit to this cart) is also really good, a very clear and detailed sounding fine line stylus.

Basically I have the entire range of stylii that can be fitted to this cart (ATS10/11/11E/12s/12XE/12Shibata), and think they're all great!

missan likes this.
  3. retroboxman

What are my options for replacement styli? Links?

Thanks for your help!

Travis

4. Shak Cohen

LPGear and eBay sellers, maybe also Needle Doctor.

5. Shak Cohen

retroboxman likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

On ebay you can get cheap Pfanstiehls that will fit perfectly, 629-D7 .7 conical for $10 and 629-DE .2 x .7 for $15. These will give you 95%+ of the sound of that cart allowing you to decide whether you want a higher price stylus, all the way up to Shibata. The "Sa" of your model number means that was a model that originally came with a Shibata.

retroboxman likes this.
  7. retroboxman

Found a replacement stylus in-town for my AT12Sa called Psanstiehl 201 DEM. Any input on this type of stylus?

8. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

201-DEM is an eliptical diamond, not a Shibata cut.

retroboxman likes this.
  9. retroboxman

I am aware. I can't afford the Shibata cut stylus right now. Any insight on how this eliptical sounds?

10. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Forum Resident

+1 on the 629-DE

11. Shak Cohen

I'd never buy anything other than original AT stylii personally. Even the ATS10 conical is very good, and very cheap.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. Shak Cohen

ATS11e is the best choice for a cheaper choice from this range IMO. Very good stylus, tracks everything, clear detailed sound. Like a superior version of the AT95e. I track it at 2.5g

13. missan

missan Forum Resident

The AT12Sa with the original needle, or ATS12S needle, is IMO a top quality performer. They both have the same very good Shibata tip, and though bonded is´s a low mass tip. The cantilever is of higher quality then present AL-alloy from AT. I consider the sound from these needles to be on a very high level, very good tracking and very low distortion. It´s top quality IMO.

And I do not agree on susceptibility for clicks and pops; I find elliptical needle more noisy than these Shibatas; especially finer elliptical.

I agree on the original ATS11E for a good performer at a low price, but only the original.

Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.