Audio -Technica AT440Mla

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cjc, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjc

cjc Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow.... this is a "really" revealing phono cartridge. I have been using a Shure V-15 Type III for years and was interested in all the "hype" about this cartridge. I was originally planning to buy a Jico for my Shure, but now I'm glad I spent the $$$ on the AT440Mla.

2. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Best cartridge in that price range, hands down!

3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I agree. The sound is remarkable and rivals the Shure V15 in many ways. A little tricky to set up but worth it.

4. albertoderoma

albertoderoma Well-Known Member

I am glad you like it, I recorded the following video review of the AT440mla over 2 years ago and I still love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bqQZhoYC_o - I also try to explain why I think the AT440 is such a great cart for the $.

I use a Clearaudio Maestro on my new clean records and for serious listening and, yes, it sounds better. But the AT440mla has given me more hours of vinyl pleasure than any other.

I bought one to use and a couple for spares.

Alberto

5. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

nice video review alberto.
    you can the cartridge on amazon for $99.

- sushimaster

6. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

can anyone compare this cart to the Grado Gold (not newest model)? I had the 440 a few years ago on a P3; decided to try vinyl again and have a Thorens TD320. The Gold sounds good, but interested in comparison. Thanks.

7. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I've had mine for about 4 years and have loved it. I'm wondering if it's soon time for a replacement.

How can you tell when these start to go?

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Stylus wear = increase in surface noise, increase in distortion (especially end of side), increased need for cleaning of stylus.

Best solution is to have a spare cartridge or stylus, to swap out to check. If you can't tell any difference, all is well.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Used one for years, loved it (and still have it as a back-up for worn records). I switched to a Denon DL-110, another great value also. The Denon does not have the same "punch" as the AT, but has a better sound-stage, and is more "musical" (imo). Both are "keepers", and very good value!

10. cjc

cjc Senior Member Thread Starter

Dougr33, Yes I also had a Grado Gold a few years ago and I don't think it at all close to the detail of the AT440Mla. The Grado was warmer sounding but didn't track as well as the AT440Mla.

11. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I agree with the above. I've had both, and the Grado is beautiful in it's own way, but only on the first 2/3 of a side. Then things go downhill rapidly. When I finally got the AT440mla, it was a revelation. Finally no IGD!

By the way, there are some records that I played a good number of times with the Grado where the sibilance and tracking problems were very noticeable. When I play those records now with the AT there is no trace of groove damage. So, don't fret. A properly set-up Grado might not sound very pretty on the inner grooves, but it is not damaging the vinyl in a significant way. At least not that I can hear. :thumbsup:

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm sure that the folks at Audio Technica appreciate it when you guys start another new thread about this same cartridge, especially since you are helping a local company, near me, stay in business. I'm guessing that this must be at least the 7th thread about the AT440MLa. I also own one and it's a great cart. Dollar for dollar, I'll never understand the GRADO fans and the foolish money that some spend on their carts, especially with this cart still available. I guess some just have to own the "LEXUS" of everything.

Chris C

13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

thanks for comparison.

14. BaMorin

BaMorin New Member

I guess I fall in that crowd. I've owned both the 440MLa and Grado carts.
    I wouldn't call it a Lexus......as I'm not a fan of Toyota products. But the Grado is staying on the arm. The 440MLa is a nice cart though.

15. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Be sure your records are spotless, and hit each side with a dry brush before playing to get every last speck of dust. The 440ML stylus seems to clog more quickly than others.

16. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Thanks!
    I should get another just to swap out and check as you say. It's still tracking well, but I do need to clean it more often lately. Of course, my dust cover breaking is a major contributor to that as well.

17. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I love the 440mla, I've been using it for three years, last month i decided to try another cartridge , i picked the audio technica AT7V because i read really good reviews on it and it's relatively cheap and in my price range (between 80 to 120$ ), so i compared them both:

On my thorens td160 the sound of the AT440MLA is incredibly detailed but on on some records (ones that are mastered bright) it can be too "bright" ( i know some folks tame it by modifying the circuitry in their phono stages but i don't want to open my phono stage in case i ruin something)
    However when i put the 440MLA my other turntable - Project 1.2 - i was amazed how different it sounded, the occasionally excessive brightness all but disappeared, and the bass was much more prominent, it really is a good match for the project TT.

I also tried the audio techinca at7v on both turntables and again was amazed how different it sounded on each one, on the project the AT7V sounded dull and lifeless, i was so disappointed because of the good reviews i read, i then put it on the thorens and it was like night and day difference, everything sounded so musical and luscious, i was in love :), it's a warmer sounding cartridge then the 440mla, that's for sure, the midrange is especially lovely.

As far as tracking is concerned the 440mla wins easily, i have yet to meet a record it didn't track close to perfect, the at7v on the other hand was slightly problematic on some records, i guess it's that fine line stylus that gives the 440mla the edge with regards to tracking the inner grooves.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Doctorwu, I've had similar experience moving the same cartridge to a different table. It really makes you realize how much the turntable itself contributes to the overall sound you get.

19. jmoon

jmoon New Member

I'm glad this thread popped up. I think I'm going to grab one of these.

When I first got back into vinyl I tried out a few carts, one of them the AT150MLX. Foolishly, I got rid of it because it was a bit edgy and bright in my system and for my biases. Now I have a second system with a Fisher 500B tube receiver and Bozaks at its heart, using a Dual 1219, and I bet the AT150MLX would sound great in it.

Just had a Denon DL160 fail on me and I was debating whether to get the Denon 110 or go the neutral route and try a Shure V15 III, maybe with a JICO SAS. The latter I WILL own someday, but I am now sort of on the fence about the Denon 110 and the cartridge up for discussion here.

By most accounts, this one is quite the bargain.

20. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

If I had to guess I'd say that's probably due to lower cable capacitance on the Pro-Ject. Even a 100pF difference will make a noticeable change in the treble output with many AT cartridges.

21. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Funny, I've used the AT440MLa on my TD 160 for a couple years now and it sounds just perfect to me. What I notice more than anything is how well it makes LPs compete with CDs. Perhaps that's an indication that the AT440MLa is giving me a clinical and detailed presentation--not sure. But it does sound fantastic. I've got a DL-160 that I need to try out to see if there's much noticeable difference.

22. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I think you should grab an AT440MLa and a DL-110! :)

23. jmoon

jmoon New Member

Yeah, you're right, ideally I would have both on hand but I've busted the budget a few times recently and with the DL160 failing on me out of the blue I can only grab one at the moment and the one I decided on was the at440mla. Amazon says 1-2 months to ship, oh well, hope it's not 2 months or more, though.

24. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

25. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Yes, that's a good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.